A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lumpy dough problems.  (Read 146 times)

Offline cayenneman08

• I Love Pizza!
Lumpy dough problems.
« on: May 26, 2021, 08:43:07 AM »
Seems I am inconsistantly getting a lumpy dough instead of a smooth finished dough, though I am using the same methods every time. My process.
All Trumps Flour- 16" pie
Flour(100%)   265.64g          
Water(65%)   172.67g          
Instant Dry Yeast (0.4%)   1.06g   
Morton's Kosher Salt (2%)   5.31g   
Olive Oil (2%)   5.31g   
Total (169.4%)   450g              
Single Ball (1 balls total)   450g

Mix flour, salt, IDY into the stand mixer bowl.  Turn mixer on and add 65F water into bowl.  Mix 1-1.5 minutes until flour is hydrated, then add oil and continue mixing until fulling incorporated.  By this time, I check my dough temp and it is around 77F.  I dont want to mix any longer due to bowl friction, so I kneed another minute or two by hand.  This is where I notice that the dough isn't as smooth as I would like.  That being said, I have to portion out balls (when making multiple balls) and get into the retarding pans for 24-72 hour ferment.  The pies always turn out okay, so am I making too much out of wanting a smoothe dough?  Should I start with colder water and mix in stand mixer for a longer time?  Thanks.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Lumpy dough problems.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 08:55:47 AM »
I have not ever gotten a lumpy dough. I start with water and IDY in the bowl, then add flour and salt. Mix until well hydrated then add oil.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 10:45:45 AM »
I do what Hans does.   If that still doesnt work, try mixing just flour and water together for a minute or two.   Use water from the fridge.   Wait 20 minutes and then add your other ingredients and start mixing again (I try to add salt a minute or two after yeast).   

You can even put your mixer bowl with the flour/water into the fridge to keep it cool and allow more mixing time, but with that 20 minute rest you probably wont need to mix as long, so your temps will be fine. .

Also, im not a big fan of kosher salt in baking... the chunks are too big.  Any fine salt works great.

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 04:08:45 PM »
I'm in the H20 first camp.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T