A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What Causes Large Bubble?  (Read 578 times)

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
What Causes Large Bubble?
« on: June 04, 2021, 09:19:25 AM »
I made Glutenboy’s Elite NY pizza dough. I used KABF and mixed in KitchenAide mixer till it passed the egg test. The dough temp was 74F. I did a room temp bulk ferment of 2 hours, balled it up and did a cold ferment for 5 days at 36F. I froze them and removed one ball yesterday to thaw for today. When I looked at the dough this morning there was a large bubble on top which I poked a small hole in and pinched closed. What caused the large bubble?
I started out with nothing. I have most of it left.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: What Causes Large Bubble?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 12:13:03 PM »
over fermentation will cause this

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 07:42:22 PM »
I made Glutenboy’s Elite NY pizza dough. I used KABF and mixed in KitchenAide mixer till it passed the egg test. The dough temp was 74F. I did a room temp bulk ferment of 2 hours, balled it up and did a cold ferment for 5 days at 36F. I froze them and removed one ball yesterday to thaw for today. When I looked at the dough this morning there was a large bubble on top which I poked a small hole in and pinched closed. What caused the large bubble?

I don't know what the egg test is but I agree with Scott.  Try using ice water next time.  How long did you let it thaw and what temperature was the room?

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 12:28:32 PM »

The OP describes one large air bubble, not a diffuse issue.  Therefore could this be due to trapped air from stretching, folding, and balling?

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 12:53:32 PM »
Was there only one large bubble? Was the ball in general airy and bloated?

I'd say it's usually overfermentation, but if the rest of the dough was not, then a bubble trapped during balling might have caused it.

I don't know what the egg test is but I agree with Scott.
Tom Lehmann demonstrated this in this video at 4:10: https://youtu.be/vSC11vo5Nmo?t=250
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Online QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 10:00:20 PM »
How much yeast did you use?? That's quite a long fermentation.

Offline ianmarks1981

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 11:47:10 AM »
2hr bulk is enough to really get your yeast going. Since you are not immediately dropping your temp of the dough from 74-36f there is still more time the dough mass is warm. Including the center of the ball (last to chill).
While the dough is in the cooler at 36f yeast is still working, albeit extremely slow. So it is a correct assumption the dough is overproofed.

Perhaps try to autolyse the flour and water for the 2 hrs before adding the rest of your ingreds. Mix in your mixer (5 min on #1-> and work down in min and up in speed, resting 30 sec or so in between). Then place in fridge. If you want to freeze it, maybe do it day 2. And when you thaw, thaw in the fridge before proofing at room temp. Frozen dough thaws irregularly and bubbles will form where they can.
Ok… I’ve said enough. But I do love this stuff

Online QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 07:55:17 PM »
Is it just me, or do I remember Tom saying that freezing dough also kills some of the yeast in the dough??  ???

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 08:40:38 PM »
Is it just me, or do I remember Tom saying that freezing dough also kills some of the yeast in the dough??  ???
QJ,

Yes, Tom said that freezing a dough, and especially in a home setting, could lead to yeast damage. This is a typical post by Tom on the subject:

Reply 7 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39279.msg392718#msg392718

Peter