A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Al Taglio advice  (Read 374 times)

Offline aglukkon

• I Love Pizza!
Al Taglio advice
« on: June 06, 2021, 07:53:13 PM »
Hi all. Need advice on the Marc Vetri 80% hydration al taglio dough from Mastering Pizza.
Iíve tried this several times now with the same issue. On the 2nd fold, the saltwater does not incorporate into the dough.  Instead, the dough becomes rubbery and just floats in the added water. Any tips on what Iím doing wrong?  I wait to add the 15g salt and 50g water before the 2nd fold as instructed. Same problem using bread flour, 90/10 or 80/20 whole wheat mix. Appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Al Taglio advice
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
I read Vetri's book years ago but don't recall his specific approach to Pizza al Taglio, but here are some tips for mixing a high hydration dough by hand.  First of all, you need a flour with enough protein content to support a hydration rate of 80%.  Next, I would use a technique called bassinage, which is nothing more than the incremental addition of water to the dough mix until it has reached the desired hydration rate, in this case 80%.  Pour 100% of the formula flour into a large mixing bowl and mix this to 65% hydration using a wooden spoon.  This initial addition of water should also contain all of the yeast.  Let this mixture rest for 15 minutes to allow the flour to better absorb the water.  Sprinkle the salt evenly on top of the dough and add a small splash of the remaining water.  Now is the time for some elbow grease as you begin to develop the dough by hand mixing.  Look up the "Rubaud Method" on YouTube to better understand this technique.  As you work the dough, it will begin to smooth out.  Continue adding the remaining water in small increments until it is all added to the mix.  The 2 critical points here are: 1. make sure to develop the dough sufficiently before adding more water and, 2. add the water in SMALL increments otherwise a large amount will not be easily absorbed and you'll create a mess.  After the mixing phase is complete, cover the dough and allow to rest for about 15-20 minutes and then dump it onto your work surface and proceed with a series of folds in order to strengthen the dough and to make it easier to handle.  Now proceed with your fermentation process.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 08:31:03 AM »
If I were to try to make an 80% hydration dough by hand, I'd use a noknead method!

Let time do the work for me instead! :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 09:51:07 PM »
If I were to try to make an 80% hydration dough by hand, I'd use a noknead method!

Let time do the work for me instead! :D

Agreed 100%, the ONLY time I've made 80% was no-knead. Worked perfectly. Just barely bring it together, let it ferment for 24 hours, "plop" it out into the pan and cook. Worked exceptionally well. FWIW, a spiral mixer and a high gluten flour will pretty much do 80% hydration doughs. I've went all the way up to 76% once here at work with a 13.2% protein flour in my spiral mixer. It was VERY wet. But it came together enough to form dough balls with the finished product.

Offline Bakerboi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 10:05:45 PM »
Here's how they do it at Vetri.
They take 800g of water and 11g of fresh yeast in a big bowl.
Then they add 800g bread flour, 200g of whole wheat flour, 20g of salt, and 40g of evoo.
Mix everything until thoroughly combined.
Cover and rest 20-30 minutes.
After the rest, fold the dough onto itself several times.(you'll see its still sticky but not a sloppy mess as it was)
Do this 2 more times for a total of 3 flips.
After that refrigerate it overnight. They just overnight it in the regular walk in.
We used it the next morning. Hope that helps.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 10:42:59 PM »
Here's how they do it at Vetri.
They take 800g of water and 11g of fresh yeast in a big bowl.
Then they add 800g bread flour, 200g of whole wheat flour, 20g of salt, and 40g of evoo.
Mix everything until thoroughly combined.
Cover and rest 20-30 minutes.
After the rest, fold the dough onto itself several times.(you'll see its still sticky but not a sloppy mess as it was)
Do this 2 more times for a total of 3 flips.
After that refrigerate it overnight. They just overnight it in the regular walk in.
We used it the next morning. Hope that helps.

That doesn't make very much dough. Is this an entire batch??