A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Thick Skin on Dough After Cold Fermentation  (Read 707 times)

Offline nlavon

• I Love Pizza!
Thick Skin on Dough After Cold Fermentation
« on: January 31, 2021, 09:56:57 AM »
After two days of fermentation in the refrigerator (37 degrees in my refrigerator), the dough I pull out has a thick skin on the top, almost cracker-like. I do roll the ball in a light coating of olive oil before putting it in the refrigerator in a bowel covered by a wet towel. It does make for some aggravation when trying to ball the dough for a final room temperature rest.

How can I manage the dough to not have this thick skin on top? Thanks!

I did a search for this but could not find anything on this particular topic. So if it has been addressed before, sorry, I did not see it.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Thick Skin on Dough After Cold Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 10:04:29 AM »
You need to use an airtight bag or container.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline nlavon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 10:22:09 AM »
OK, thanks for the quick response. I certainly have an air tight bag I can use.

Online stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 11:48:55 AM »
From Tom Lehmann - Round each piece into a ball and lightly oil. Place each ball into individual plastic bags (food bags or bread bags) NOT Zip-Lock Bags.
Twist the open end into a pony tail and tuck under the dough ball as you place it in the fridge.

To use, remove dough from fridge, allow to temper AT room temperature for about 2-hours or until the dough ball reaches 50 to 60F.
Roll bag down around the dough ball and invert over a floured surface, flour the dough piece and open

Best... Steve

Offline Mike.P

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 12:33:37 PM »
I had this problem, I make enough dough for 4 balls but bulk ferment in the fridge in an airtight plastic container but still got a skin. I found that if I lightly oil the top and put a single piece of film wrap on the top before putting the lid on it stops the skin forming.

Offline nlavon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »
Actually, I do remember reading the late Mr. Lehmann's advice on this. It just got away. I don't have bread bags per se but I do have some empty plastic bags that I will use next time. Not quite as thick as the bags that bread come in. As for the film wrap, I wonder if something like grocery store plastic wrap would work. Maybe...maybe not.

Is there something that approximates bread bags (other than saving them when the bread is gone, which I can do in the future) without having to order from Amazon or Walmart?

Thanks again!

Online stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
I switched over to the doughmate boxes some time ago - works great. Not cheap, depending on where you get them but will last for years. On the few occasions that I'm either lazy or last minute and I go to a local slice place to get some  dough balls I bring a box with me so they can flour it up and put it right into the box. Starts a great conversation with the guys there and I've learned a lot. One place sold me some All Trumps flour so I could try before buying a 50 lb bag (I did) and also gave me some fresh yeast. I will also take some doughballs after mixing and put them into lightly oiled bags or tupperware containers and freeze. Defrost overnight then put into the doughmate boxes for x hours CF.

Best.... Steve

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00449IEM4/?tag=pmak-20

Offline Mike.P

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 02:07:07 PM »
As for the film wrap, I wonder if something like grocery store plastic wrap would work. Maybe...maybe not.

That's what I use, just ordinary cling film.

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 02:19:50 PM »
I have containers for CF, but also have bread bags that I use when I freeze Dough Balls.
Have to oil the balls either way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084VTFF7T/?tag=pmak-20
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline AntonioT

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 07:53:12 AM »
If your dough ball is just in a bowl with a towel, thatís not enough to completely block the draft of flowing air caused by the fridge. You need to completely seal the bowl with cling wrap and then put a towel over that. Or get proper dough boxes, or even Tupperware containers that seal completely. Some oil will not protect against airflow for that long. A towel is ok for a couple of hours on a counter.

wordpress