A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sourdough 24h RT - overfermented?  (Read 304 times)

Offline luckydutch

• I Love Pizza!
Sourdough 24h RT - overfermented?
« on: June 10, 2021, 03:26:41 AM »
I've been trying to follow the guidance of many on this forum to use a RT ferment for sourdough but my first attempt has been a bit of a disaster.

After the 12h bulk ferment, the dough was so full of gas and seemed to have lost a lot of it's structural integrity. You can see from the first picture that it wouldn't ball into a tight, round ball. It was lumpy had lots of air bubbles all over it.

In an attempt to rescue it I kneaded it a short while to try to degas it and the dough completely fell apart, turning into a big lump of porridge.

Did it over-ferment during that bulking period? I consistently seem to have issues with massive bubbles forming in my dough!

Recipe in the attachments.

I bulk fermented in a coolbox with an icepack in there to keep it slightly cooler than the ambient temperature (it's about 74F in the air at the moment).

Pictures of the dough:

https://imgur.com/gallery/55z8CaT

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:47:49 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline luckydutch

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sourdough 24h RT - overfermented?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 10:29:33 AM »
This is after 8 hours of the final rise in the cooler. I did the poke test and it just stuck to my finger. Didn't really make an indentation or spring back.

https://imgur.com/gallery/UOtOr1z
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:58:05 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 10:48:37 AM »
How active was your starter?  How long after the last feeding did you attempt to make your dough?

Offline luckydutch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 11:29:44 AM »
How active was your starter?  How long after the last feeding did you attempt to make your dough?

My starter is pretty feisty, to be fair! I just grew it myself rather than buying it but it's a hungry one!

I fed it a 1-2-2 ratio of starter-water-flour and it peaked within about 7-8 hours which is when I used it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:40:27 AM by luckydutch »

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 11:50:23 AM »
My starter is pretty feisty, to be fair! I just grew it myself rather than buying it but it's a hungry one!

I fed it a 1-2-2 ratio of starter-water-flour and it peaked within about 7-8 hours which is when I used it.

Try the same recipe with just4% starter and see what happens

Offline luckydutch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 12:02:34 PM »
Try the same recipe with just4% starter and see what happens

Will do!

Did I use the starter % calculator wrong, possibly?

9% did seem like a lot because I would use 20% in a dough that would be going in the fridge and it's only half that.

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 12:21:37 PM »
Everyone's starter is different.  Keep making dough with your starter, keeping notes on how fermentation goes.  Increase or decrease based on your results until you get to a place you are happy with.  It really boils down to knowing how your starter performs and practice/experience.  Practice is the best form of education when it comes to making pizza.  I think everyone on this forum made more mistakes than they are proud to admit, me being one of them.  But every mistake I made was a learning experience.  I bet you will be in a good place in no time, just practice!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 02:35:44 PM »
Also, be sure to watch the dough, not the clock...
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline luckydutch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 03:00:50 PM »
Everyone's starter is different.  Keep making dough with your starter, keeping notes on how fermentation goes.  Increase or decrease based on your results until you get to a place you are happy with.  It really boils down to knowing how your starter performs and practice/experience.  Practice is the best form of education when it comes to making pizza.  I think everyone on this forum made more mistakes than they are proud to admit, me being one of them.  But every mistake I made was a learning experience.  I bet you will be in a good place in no time, just practice!

OK, that's sound advice. Thanks!

I am actually really pleased with how the pizza came out. The dough was a PAIN to work with but the final result was tasty and had a wonderful texture in the crust. The only disappointment was that there were too many huge air bubbles, some of which burnt.

I can't say that I noticed any radical differences to previous attempts where I used a larger starter % and a fridge ferment but maybe I would if I tried them side-by-side.

I'll try again with the exact same method but less starter and see how it turns out.

Offline luckydutch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 03:01:44 PM »
Also, be sure to watch the dough, not the clock...

Ideally I would but I kind of have to plan the fermentation around when I want to eat it!

But now that I know that recipe/method over-ferments, I can tweak it slightly and see whether I get closer to the right fermentation duration.