A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Jets pizza  (Read 209276 times)

Offline segfault

Re: Jets pizza
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2016, 10:43:24 PM »
took a picture of the label

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2016, 07:47:41 AM »
segfault,

Thank you for posting the Grande Nutrition Facts. They are the same as Grande posts at its website, at:

http://www.grandecheese.com/products/Pages/Product_Spec.aspx?ProductMasterID=16

The Grande Nutrition Facts are the same for all forms of the low moisture part skin mozzarella cheese, including loaf, diced and shredded.

Peter

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #243 on: March 03, 2016, 11:43:53 AM »
jsperk,

Thank you for the links. However, interestingly, to the best of my knowledge Jet's has never touted its square pizzas as being Detroit-style, although maybe they have acquiesced in others calling it that style rather than trying to correct them. I have theorized that Jet's does not want to limit its style to a particular regional area when their plans call for franchising their business all across the company.

As an aside, the recipes at the Washington Post are indicated to be adaptations of a recipe by Shawn Randazzo of the Detroit Style Pizza Company. That means that the recipe is not a scaled down version of a recipe he is using.

Peter

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #244 on: March 03, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
jsperk,

Thank you for the links. However, interestingly, to the best of my knowledge Jet's has never touted its square pizzas as being Detroit-style, although maybe they have acquiesced in others calling it that style rather than trying to correct them. I have theorized that Jet's does not want to limit its style to a particular regional area when their plans call for franchising their business all across the company.

As an aside, the recipes at the Washington Post are indicated to be adaptations of a recipe by Shawn Randazzo of the Detroit Style Pizza Company. That means that the recipe is not a scaled down version of a recipe he is using.

Peter

Thanks for the info. I'll be using the recipe on reply 230 before trying the one from the Washington post. Hopefully tomorrow but all I have is Robin hood AP flour right now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
I'll be using the recipe on reply 230 before trying the one from the Washington post. Hopefully tomorrow but all I have is Robin hood AP flour right now.
jsperk,

The version I came up with for the dough for a clone of a small Jet's square pizza using an 8" x 10" pan is set forth at Reply 194 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8247.msg413711#msg413711.

I believe segfault used a somewhat different version.

Peter

Offline segfault

« Reply #246 on: March 03, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »
Pete,

That was actually a mistake on my part, when I was posting I realized I had somehow not followed your recipe.

I'm working on dialing in the sauce / cheese amounts so that my cooked weight is close, and also matches the consistency of Jets.  I'll post a follow up soon!

jsperk,

The version I came up with for the dough for a clone of a small Jet's square pizza using an 8" x 10" pan is set forth at Reply 194 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8247.msg413711#msg413711.

I believe segfault used a somewhat different version.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #247 on: March 03, 2016, 06:06:13 PM »
I was recently shopping at Kroger's and another local supermarket that is an affiliate of Safeway, and I decided to check out the low moisture part skim mozzarella (LMPS) cheeses sold in those stores. What I was looking for was primarily the Total Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium numbers as given on the Nutrition Facts labels. These are the most telling numbers for analytical purposes because their values pretty much stay intact from unbaked to baked pizza.

What surprised me was that Kroger sells a one-pound ball of LMPS mozzarella cheese that has 7g of Total Fat, 20mg of Cholesterol, and 210mg of Sodium. Those numbers would work better in analyzing the Jet's nutrition information than the Grande LMPS mozzarella cheese numbers.

Kroger also has a two-pound rectangular block of LMPS mozzarella cheese but for some reason the numbers are like those for the Grande LMPS mozzarella cheese, with 5g Total Fat, 15mg Cholesterol, and 170mg Sodium. I would have expected the two Kroger products to have the same Nutrition Facts.

I also found two brands, Cacique (the name is Spanish but the cheese is made in the U.S., most likely for a Hispanic customer base) and Lucerne that have 6g Total Fat, 15mg Cholesterol, and 210mg Sodium. As with the Kroger one-pound ball of LMPS mozzarella cheese, both of these products work better in analyzing the Jet's nutrition than the Grande LMPS mozzarella cheese numbers.

Since we don't know what software Jet's uses to create its nutrition information, or what numbers are put into the software, which could even include more accurate and detailed (unrounded) numbers from Grande, and since no doubt there are rounding of some of the numbers, it is hard to know exactly how much LMPS Grande mozzarella cheese Jet's uses in making a basic small square cheese pizza. Some of this may be moot inasmuch as the Jet's workers who assemble pizzas in real time have a fair amount of latitude in what the final pizza looks like and how much it will weigh after baking. The information we have suggests that the cheese is weighed out in the Jet's stores before placing on the pizza but the dough itself is scaled into balls by hand in each store, as shown, for example, in the video cited in Reply 26 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8247.msg118161#msg118161, and the sauce is applied free hand. So, there can be variances from one pizza to another in terms of weight. Since Jet's does not come under the FDA's jurisdiction, one either has to accept what they get from Jet's or complain to management.

For those who do not have access to the Grande LMPS mozzarella cheese but do have access to a Kroger store, the one-pound ball of the Kroger LMPS mozzarella cheese may be a reasonable alternative to the Grande cheese. I would think that about 6-7 ounces would be a good place to start.

As somewhat an aside, I was reading an interesting article today about a lawsuit that was lodged against the Subway sandwich chain because its footlong sandwiches weren't always a foot long, or 12". The suit was based on deceptive marketing and sales practices, not on some violation of FDA rules or regulations. But the article, at http://www.restaurantnews.com/why-the-subway-footlong-lawsuits-fell-short/, had me laughing because of how I and others have tried to nail down information from both Jet's and Buddy's about their pizzas. For those who would like the full story on the lawsuit, the details are at http://www.wied.uscourts.gov/sites/wied/files/documents/Subway%20MDL%20Final%20Settlement%20Approval%20Order.pdf.

Peter

Offline THEBBQMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2016, 04:58:55 PM »
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 05:30:34 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #249 on: March 30, 2016, 02:00:38 AM »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2016, 05:11:14 PM »
A friend of mine had a Jets pie in TN and said the bottom was extremely crispy; so crisp and crunchy, that it almost hurt your mouth to eat it. I haven't tried a Jet's pie but that sounds appealing to me. Definitely never had a crispy pie from a conveyor oven. I wonder what their oven setup is...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 05:21:28 PM by hotsawce »

Offline DetroitPizzaGirl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #251 on: March 12, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »
Hello everyone - I am new to this forum, but I have read this Jet's thread many, many times and already done a couple experiments of making Jet's pizza.  I would like to share my experience here and exchange information with you. I'm originally from the Detroit area, but I am currently living in Europe. And there is NOTHING like Jet's Pizza over here. That is why it is my mission to try and make this pizza myself.

I used Segfault's recipe/instructions for my trials (Thank you Segfault!). 

* Pan Size: 12.5 x 16.5 Blue Steel Pan

* Sauce (turned out really well! I think I nailed this one). Whisk the below ingredients together for 5 minutes:
- 14oz Pureed sun-ripened tomatoes (get a really high-quality brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (not garlic powder... look for "granulated"... it has a more sand-like texture and flavour is better)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano

Dough Ingredients:
- Flour (100%):    493.66 g  |  17.41 oz | 1.09 lbs 
- Water (65%):    320.88 g  |  11.32 oz | 0.71 lbs
- IDY (.3851%):    1.9 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.63 tsp | 0.21 tbsp 
- Salt (1.75%):    8.64 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.55 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
- Sugar (2.1875%):    10.8 g | 0.38 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.71 tsp | 0.9 tbsp
- Total (169.3226%):   835.87 g | 29.48 oz | 1.84 lbs | TF = 0.15

Dough Instructions:

- Add Active Dry Yeast (ADY), Salt, Sugar to a mixing bowl
- Heat Water (100 degrees Fahrenheit) to a WARM/HOT temperature, but not boiling (it will ruin the yeast). 
- Add all water to bowl and whisk together well until absorbed
- Add Flour - I used a flour that was called "Pizza Flour"
- Mix Flour 1-2 minutes until incorporated.  (I only have a hand-mixer, so then I removed the dough and kneaded it by hand for 10 minutes)
- When dough is finished it should be soft and sticky, not stiff.
- Place the dough in a plastic bowl (oiled), and spread oil on top of dough. Cover with a wet kitchen towel.  Place in oven for 60 minutes to rise.
- Put 5 TBSP corn oil into Pizza Pan. Spread out dough in the pan (as far to the corners as you can). 
- Cover dough with a wet towel or plastic wrap and put in the oven 90 minutes to rise again (at 100 Degrees Fahrenheit).

Baking:
- I pre-heated my oven to 250 Celsius (480 Fahrenheit) - as that is the highest my oven can go.  I used a special setting that cooks from the bottom, kind of like roasting but from the bottom only.
- I cooked the pizza for 30 minutes. Then allowed it to cool for 10 minutes, before removing it from the pan and cutting it on a cutting board.

Observations during Baking:
- 3 min – oil bubbles on side
- 5 min – cheese melted
- 13 min – Pepperoni leaking oil a bit, light brown edges on sides, cheese still liquidy, can see oil bubbling on sides slightly
- 15 min – cheese start to bubble a bit, size crust more golden
- 20 min – crust a golden brown color, cheese still liquidy and not burned, oil from pepperoni on top of pizza starts to bubble a bit.
- 22 min – golden edge getting darker and moving inwards more on top of pizza, pepperonis starting to fry on top
- 23 min – cheese has some few brown spots
- 24 min – cheese bubbles up slowly and bursts
- 25 min – middle of pizza seems to rise, sides stay more sunken down
- 26 min – more brown spots on cheese. Air temperature seems to be 200 Celsius
- 28 min – more brown spots on cheese, crust getting dark.

Final Result:
- This was the best attempt so far.  The sides were crunchy. The bottom was “tougher” like the beginning of a crunch, but not crunchy enough like Jet’s. 

I still wasn't able to get the really crunch crust... here were some ideas that I had to try next time:
- Place the pizza pan DIRECTLY on the bottom of the oven (not on the lowest rack). Could this maybe work?
- Maybe cook the pizza longer and a lower temperature?
- More Corn oil in the pan?
- Different type of flour?

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #252 on: March 12, 2017, 01:34:59 PM »
Love the crumb! You might try baking on a stone or steel, to try to drive a little more heat into the bottom crust. Sometime less oil helps with crisping, as too much oil can slow the heat transfer. Smaller pans may help, too -- was the bottom crispier toward the edges, softer/tougher in the middle?
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline humpty99

« Reply #253 on: March 12, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »
It's been a looooong time since I've posted anything,  but I've been in bed sick and this old thread caught my eye.

I saw the pic below on page 3 of a purchased jets pizza. My mind instantly went to rice flour. It looks like a cracker made with rice flour to me. Knowing that the op was after the crunch factor, any chance this is the missing link?

Anyone who has used rice flour knows that it definately creates a signature crunch. Forgive me if this has already came up. I did scan all the pages before posting. I also clicked on Pete's link to the flour source that he thought was being used. There were a couple gluten free varieties on their site,  which could be a source for the rice flour. Even a small percentage in the flour mix may change the crunch characteristics just enough.
(http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/humpty99/Screenshot_20170312-141341.png)

Offline DetroitPizzaGirl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
Thank you for these ideas!

VTSTEVE - Yes I definitely want a smaller pan, unfortunately the 12x16 was the only thing I could find on Amazon short-notice.  I am going to look for the smaller 8x10 one.  You are correct, the bottom was crispier towards the edges and softer/tougher in the middle. I think I will also try a pizza stone, good idea.

HUMPTY99 - I haven't seen anyone mention rice flour yet, but I would be willing to try anything. When I do my next "experiment" I will give that a try and report back to the group.  It may be a couple weeks until I can get to it.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #255 on: March 13, 2017, 11:20:16 AM »
Here are excellent pans for DS pizza: https://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/detroit-style-pizza-pans-sicilian-pans/detroit-style-pizza-pans

Rice flour is not an ingredient in any DS pizza that I know of.

Here's my DS thread: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42012.0
Instagram @hans_michigan

HarryHaller73

« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »
Here are excellent pans for DS pizza: https://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/detroit-style-pizza-pans-sicilian-pans/detroit-style-pizza-pans

Rice flour is not an ingredient in any DS pizza that I know of.

Here's my DS thread: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42012.0

I spoke to a former Jets employee at a fast food franchising forum here in NYC.  It's proprietary hi gluten flour at intermediate hydration high 50's low 60's,  not a Detroit style formulation that I've seen here at the 70-75+% hydration area.  Jets does not cold ferment and makes dough in house every morning.  Morning dough is used for afternoon to dinner service and next day lunch.  Dough is balled pressed in pan and proofed for few hours. As hotsawce mentioned in an old post, the undercrust is very crunchy and dry and the crumb is tighter than high hydration pan pizzas..  This all makes sense within lower hydration.  Jets sets 8 minutes in a convection heat conveyor.  The convection probably a very different heating profile than another oven.  Converting from convection bake time to standard, might be I'm guessing, 12-15 minutes. 

I finally tried a Jets pizza in Boca Raton this month.  I'm surprised they don't have more franchise locations, IMO, they are much better than other chain pan pizza.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:10:34 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »
I spoke to a former Jets employee at a fast food franchising forum here in NYC.  It's proprietary hi gluten flour at intermediate hydration high 50's low 60's,  not a Detroit style formulation that I've seen here at the 70-75+% hydration area.  Jets does not cold ferment and makes dough in house every morning.  Morning dough is used for afternoon to dinner service and next day lunch.  Dough iis balled pressed in pan and proofed for few hours. As hotsawce mentioned in an old post, the undercrust is very crunchy and dry and the crumb is tighter than high hydration pan pizzas..  This all makes sense within lower hydration.  Jets sets 8 minutes in a convection heat conveyor at 450 F.  The convection probably a very different heating profile than another oven.  Converting from convection bake time to standard, might be I"m guessing, 12-15 minutes. 

I finally tried a Jets pizza in Boca Raton this month.  I'm surprised they don't have more franchise locations, IMO, they are much better than other chain pan pizza.

What yeast percent would give such a large window of usability?
the proof is in the pizza

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »

I agree. Jet's was my go to spot for round pizza before I started making my own.
Instagram @hans_michigan

HarryHaller73

« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
What yeast percent would give such a large window of usability?

Since dough is made in morning at 9am, and earliest used is around 3pm, that's a 6-12 hr dough until close.  But as this style requires pressing and re-proofing in a pan for several hours, the style in itself should have a long window of usage.  I'm guessing 0.25-0.5% depending on temperature and humidity.

Also, I would assume they stick dough for tomorrow's lunch service in the fridge.