A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style - My way  (Read 60052 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Detroit Style - My way
« Reply #460 on: June 17, 2021, 06:32:00 PM »
Here is a good source for DS pans
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #461 on: June 17, 2021, 08:11:56 PM »
Here is a good source for DS pans
great pans!

Offline tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #462 on: June 29, 2021, 09:47:42 PM »
This is the best I have done with Hanss post 115. First time I have had Brick cheese to use too. Made these 2 and 2 of another style. Other than my wife and me, none of the other 8 adults and 2 kids had ever tried DS and they all loved it. Thanks Hans!
Where did you source the brick cheese? Locally?

Offline Johnathan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #463 on: July 26, 2021, 10:56:10 PM »
I used your dough recipe and made this pizza in an 8x8 aluminum cake pan that I greased with butter. Cheese was sliced Muenster and mozzarella, with some hot giardiniera between the layers. I departed a bit from the classic Detroit formula, but it was delicious, and your dough formula worked great. Thanks!

Offline jonny

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #464 on: July 31, 2021, 05:41:52 AM »
First attempt at this recipe last night and it came out great! A few tweaks to get the next one even better. Thank you HansB!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #465 on: July 31, 2021, 08:25:11 AM »
I used your dough recipe and made this pizza in an 8x8 aluminum cake pan that I greased with butter. Cheese was sliced Muenster and mozzarella, with some hot giardiniera between the layers. I departed a bit from the classic Detroit formula, but it was delicious, and your dough formula worked great. Thanks!

Very nice!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #466 on: July 31, 2021, 08:25:42 AM »
First attempt at this recipe last night and it came out great! A few tweaks to get the next one even better. Thank you HansB!

Pretty pizza!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #467 on: August 14, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »
Where did you source the brick cheese? Locally?
Sorry, Tom, just saw this. It was through Amazon. I think somebody here suggested it. Im very happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C8MMYJC/?tag=pmak-20
-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #468 on: August 14, 2021, 01:11:09 PM »
Looks terrific, jonny. Welcome to the forum.
-Tony

Offline mkc

« Reply #469 on: August 15, 2021, 09:37:15 PM »
First time ever making Detroit style - and we've never even had one!

Lloyd 10x14" pan.  I used Hans' recipe from post #115 scaled up.  VT white cheddar, muenster, and mozz (also scaled up).  Kroger sliced pepperoni (it's what I had), crushed tomatoes seasoned as Hans did, sliced jarred mushrooms.  I greased the pan with Crisco; baked on top of a Baking Steel that was preheated to 500F with convection.  Baked for 12 minutes.

We loved the first slices - amazing crispness to the crust.  When we got our second slices, they had already started to toughen on the underside - was it a mistake to leave it on the cutting board and not put it on a cooling rack?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 09:39:02 PM by mkc »

Offline dedede

• Lifetime Member
  • trying to make better pizza
« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2021, 10:54:41 PM »
Great looking pie! I remove from pan to rack. I can't speak to what happens with too much authority but I think the rack helps the steam release which helps the crust stay crisp. My pizza stays crisp until it is gone.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #471 on: August 16, 2021, 10:51:07 AM »
Your pizza looks excellent! This photo was for show but after I slice the pizza it goes right back onto the cooling rack to keep from getting soggy.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline mkc

« Reply #472 on: August 17, 2021, 06:21:22 PM »
Thanks - next one (and oh yes, there will be a next one!) I'll put it on a rack.

Will be reheating the remaining half tonight for dinner - planning on using a covered cast iron skillet for that since it works well for other (round) reheats...

Offline KBWood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #473 on: August 26, 2021, 11:38:21 AM »
Made this and others all pretty good in all steps and results.  The only problem I've had on a few Detroits is the top of the crust right under cheese seems too soft(undercooked). Otherwise the black 1/2 way down side and deep golden bottom are kinda spot on.  Common sense tells me that Par Baking it could solve it, but I don't want to do all that.  Thought I read somewhere on here that affects the black sides also.  Also have tried from 475 to 510 ranges on bottom middle(3rd shelf down from top of 4 total shelves). Thanks all.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 01:13:59 PM by KBWood »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #474 on: August 26, 2021, 01:09:16 PM »
Made this and others all pretty good in all steps and results.  The only problem I've had on a few Detroits is the top of the crust right under cheese seems too soft(undercooked). Otherwise the black 1/2 way down side and deep golden bottom are kinda spot on.  Common sense tells me that Par Baking it could solve it, but I don't want to do all that.  Thought I read somewhere on here that affects the black sides also.  Also have tried from 475 to 510 ranges on bottom middle(3rd shelf down from top of 4 total shelves. Thanks all.

Can you go higher temp? I have not had a gumline at 525
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline KBWood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #475 on: August 26, 2021, 01:18:40 PM »
I can try that high on my dial.  The only reason I never did yet is due to the top looking ready at around 8 minutes or so at the 500-510 range.  That made me not want to go hotter in thinking.. Oh no, how can the rest cook if I'm melting that fast.  Anyway, should I give it a go next time at 525 and just see what happens?  Thanks Hans..you da boss!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #476 on: August 26, 2021, 02:01:58 PM »
Try it on the center rack at 525, I get an even bake there in about 13 minutes..

You're welcome!!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline KBWood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #477 on: August 26, 2021, 07:44:10 PM »
Like I had said above, I have 4 racks and been using #3 down which is one of the 2 center racks.  So that same rack or the upper center(#2) do you suggest? Either one, I'm trying the 525.  Been using up a 5lb. Sam's Club shredded part-skim, so maybe I'll never hit that 13 min mark ya think?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #478 on: August 26, 2021, 09:20:55 PM »
Being part skim and shredded (contains anti caking agents) will make it brown faster. Try rack #2 at 525. Good luck!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline KBWood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #479 on: September 09, 2021, 01:02:53 PM »
Ok it was an interesting test.  At 525 and upper middle rack, the top was not gummy except under the 2 sauce strips it was.  The sauce sort of caved in as the cheese rose up like a beast.  It was turning dark really fast after just 10 mins and I had to pull before 11 mins even hit or else the wife probably wouldn't of liked it.  This was probably the most puffy I've let one proof as well if that played any part.