A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Vegan Pizzeria owner here. Happy to answer any ?s about accomodating vegans  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Rob_from_Lil_Nonnas

• I Love Pizza!
Just thought I'd make a thread for vegan pizza stuff. Demand is rising for vegan options, and it's what I know best. I'm happy to help if vegan options are on your radar.

A bit about me... I own a pizza trailer in Austin, TX called Li'l Nonna's. We do NYish style (I'm more influenced by my favorite Italian pizzerias in Boston though) and Sicilian. Prior to that I was a manager at Via 313 Pizza.  Those guys helped me get started with my own thing.  I'm also pretty decent at a few other styles of pizza and veganizing them and such.

I've been vegetarian for almost 25 years but vegan for less than 3. Prior to that I ate more cheese than any sane human should have.

Anyhow, happy to help if I can. I'll post a few vegan pizza pics too.

@lilnonnas on ig

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Welcome aboard!!!
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Some of my favorite pizza is vegan, in particular,
- marinara topped with ridiculous amounts of garlic and fresh herbs,
- roasted mushrooms with fresh herbs and truffle salt,
- baked potato and rosemary.

Lots of great EVOO on all of them.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Those sure look terrific, Craig!

Offline Pizza Baker

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Wood Fired Pizza!
    • Pizza Baker, LLC
Hi Rob, I'm looking forward to seeing some of your vegan creations. Jim
Jim

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
Good to have you, Rob! I also look forward to see what you make. I have some vegan friends and it would be cool with some inspiration and toppings tips.

What is your experience with having a vegan menu so far?
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Do you make cheese daily or have you found a great commercially produced option? I've made a few, like Miyoko Schinner's, but a bit out of the loop on the vegan cheese scene.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline dorothydun

• I Love Pizza!
Vegan pizza? why? if someone decided to become vegan they can eat fruits and vegetables, why trying to make pizza without actual cheese and pepperoni!

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
Vegan pizza? why? if someone decided to become vegan they can eat fruits and vegetables, why trying to make pizza without actual cheese and pepperoni!

Because it's roots are historic and it's delicious!!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_marinara

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Welcome Rob! The cheese part is what I'd like to learn..thats the trick, right?

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member

I gotta say........you could've thought out that response a little better.......🤔🙄
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline theppgcowboy

I am a vegetarian but I also eat meat,  looking forward to your updates.

Offline Jimbolini

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!

My wife and I were GM's for a local pizzeria that had HUGE Gluten Free and Vegan following. We are in the process of opening our own store and will have full menus for both.

I have found Vegans are loyal and stick together, if you win one over you get almost all of them.

They seem to look on happycow.net and eat at high reviewed places.

Offline tntpizzasd

• I Love Pizza!
Welcome! We are in the process of opening a pizzeria in San Diego, after operating as a pop up since April 2020. The vegan response has been wild; sometimes over half of our orders are vegan. After using a violife/daiya concoction, just started making our own vegan mozzarella and its turning out great on Detroit and NY style. We also have been making our own vegan pepperoni and vegan sausage. We haven't been entirely happy with vegan chicken and bacon recipes we've tried out, if you've got any advice! Also hoping to make vegan parmesan in house...

Moreso than vegan options, we are just starting on developing some gluten free recipes... Doing bar pies and Detroit much like Via 313. We have a GF sourdough starter ready to go, and finally got a source for Caputo Fior Glut. Any tips here would be very welcome!

Offline dorothydun

• I Love Pizza!
Hey guys, Im sorry for being rude earlier! I absolutely respect all people who decided to accept a vegan lifestyle! Its just me who has a limited imagination and cannot picture a pizza or a burger without meat and cheese! Apparently, there are plenty of good recipes for vegan pizza! Ive researched this topic, and I found some good recipes here: https://buyeatvegan.com/vegan/, which I want to try! Or maybe could you share some, too? I'd appreciate it! So, sorry for being rude. Hope you all having a good one!

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Hey guys, Im sorry for being rude earlier! I absolutely respect all people who decided to accept a vegan lifestyle! Its just me who has a limited imagination and cannot picture a pizza or a burger without meat and cheese! Apparently, there are plenty of good recipes for vegan pizza! Ive researched this topic, and I found some good recipes here: https://buyeatvegan.com/vegan/, which I want to try! Or maybe could you share some, too? I'd appreciate it! So, sorry for being rude. Hope you all having a good one!

👊
Jon

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Here's another thread with some ideas.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=69100.0

I recently started making a version of a puttanesca that Jonas (jsaras) suggested - good amount of tomato sauce, roughly chopped kalamata olives, capers, garlic, oregano, olive oil and crushed red pepper. I'm not a vegetarian, but I think this pie is great. I did not expect to like capers as much as I do on a pizza. Vegan neighbor also approves.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Here's another thread with some ideas.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=69100.0

I recently started making a version of a puttanesca that Jonas (jsaras) suggested - good amount of tomato sauce, roughly chopped kalamata olives, capers, garlic, oregano, olive oil and crushed red pepper. I'm not a vegetarian, but I think this pie is great. I did not expect to like capers as much as I do on a pizza. Vegan neighbor also approves.

Hmmmmm, I  love capers, wife not so much. Thinking preserved lemons and capers, overkill?? Not vegan but some anchovies would play well in there!!
Jon

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Hmmmmm, I  love capers, wife not so much. Thinking preserved lemons and capers, overkill?? Not vegan but some anchovies would play well in there!!
Tried Calabrian chili oil instead of the hot pepper/olive oil. Next round I was going to add some basil since it's the only thing in the garden growing well. I like the idea of artichoke hearts too, but sometimes less is more. Been using trader joes capers and kalamata olives on this one. Really like it. I like the sound of your combo too. I can sell capers here, but everyone except me is a hard pass on the anchovy. They only eat it if it is in the background and don't realize they eating it, which is something I do to them once in a while. Chef's secret!

Offline Carlokill

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Vegan Pizzeria owner here. Happy to answer any ?s about accomodating vegans
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 07:46:25 AM »
do you make your own vegan "cheese"?
id be interested in any recipes/processes , i dont currently offer any vegan cheeses as the ones i have available are not pleasant or extremely expensive

wordpress