A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Who makes the BEST NY style Cheese Slice in Los Angeles??  (Read 274 times)

Offline adamr06

• I Love Pizza!
Who makes the BEST NY style Cheese Slice in Los Angeles??
« on: May 06, 2021, 01:30:17 AM »
Hi everyone!

I hope you all have been getting through the pandemic safe and sound.

I spent a good portion of my lockdown time following a channel on YouTube called "The Land Of ZA". They are looking for the best NY pizza joints in LA, and have a show called "2 Slice Challenge", where they test their cheese and pepperoni slices for how authentic they are. It was a very entertaining distraction during lockdown, and has alerted me to many many solid NY pizzerias here in LA I might not otherwise had heard about. And every new pizzeria I learn about is another excuse to support a local business, so, win win! If you live in LA and love NY style pizza, The Land Of ZA is an excellent resource for finding great NY pizzerias.   

Here is a "Top 5" show on Best NY style cheese slices in LA. Hope you all enjoy it!

My take, is that based on what he appears to be looking for in a "quintessential NY slice", they are all solid respectable picks. Sure I can think of a few NY pizzerias out here that might have served me up a better cheese slice, but those places are very inconsistent for some reason.  In my experience, the places on this list are very consistent, and therefore are easier to recommend. 

What do you all think??

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Who makes the BEST NY style Cheese Slice in Los Angeles??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 12:04:15 AM »
My votes go to Vito’s on La Cieniga and Prime Pizza when they’re on their game.  I’m sure there are some newcomers I’m not aware of, but Vito’s set the bar IMO. 

Pie Life has a nice bake, but the salt level in the crust is 1% and it tastes like cardboard.  Joe’s (Santa Monica) was below average when I had it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:09:18 AM by jsaras »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline adamr06

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Who makes the BEST NY style Cheese Slice in Los Angeles??
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 12:25:10 AM »
The problem with the NY pizzerias in LA is that they are for the most part hit or miss. I agree with you about Prime. When they are on their game, their cheese slices are really good. But that only happens half the time. The rest of that time is very disappointing. The same goes for Mulberry St., except they disappoint more often than not. Joe's may not be the very best, but they are solid, and 9 times out of 10 will serve you a quality NY slice. For this reason, Joe's is probably the place I recommend the most.

I like Pie Life, but I thought their cheese slice was a little bland. And while I like Vito's, I prefer a crispier crust, and there's something about the flavor of their sauce that I don't care for. Don't get me wrong, it's a good sauce, just not my preference. For me, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn's cheese slice is much better. Probably my favorite at the moment.

And you're right about all the "newcomers". I learned about 4 or 5 new legit NY pizzerias that opened up just over the last 6 month or so. (Definitely check out The Land Of ZA on YT!) No such thing as too many NY pizzerias, especially if they're good!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T