A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas  (Read 188559 times)

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas
« Reply #440 on: January 06, 2018, 05:09:19 PM »
333Meg had found out a Tommy's clone (supposedly) that is in Naples FL. My mom used to live in Naples before her passing so I was familiar with the city. Megs doctor's receptionist told about The Crust (www.the crust.net). My wife finally found some time and took a road trip to Naples yesterday. Got a bit of a late start but arrived at our hotel around 7. We quickly disgorged our luggage and made the ten minute drive to The Crust. At 7:30, the place was PACKED. First off, it is NOTHING like a Tommy's on the inside. They had 20+ beers on tap and lots of wine choices. The restaurant is dominated by a 40 seat bar. The bar was packed too. There were at least 40 tables and booths in the restaurant as well as a six table private room. We got sat in a six person booth and ordered our drinks. I love Tommy's meatball subs so we got a medium pepperoni pizza and a meatball sub. We got our food and we were struck how much the pizza looks like Tommy's. The crust was spot on. Definitely ezzo for the pepperoni. That being said, after reflection, I found something was missing from the flavor profile. Not sure if the garlic powder was missing or something else. A reddit post said (from someone who claimed to have worked there) that Tommy's uses pecorino romano cheese. I lost my sense of smell 5+ years ago so my sense of taste is somewhat limited. I tend to like strong flavors so I put pec rom cheese when I make my clone here. Meg doesn't seem to think Tommy's uses pec rom. The sauce didn't stand out to me at all. Nothing like Tommy's IMO. The cheese seemed close to Tommy's, but, again, hard for me to discern some flavors. We went back today for lunch. We were the first customers of the day. I took the opportunity to go to the restroom so I could scope their kitchen out. They use a Lincoln pizza oven. After perusing the Lincoln website, I saw the model they use: http://www.lincolnfp.com/Product/fam_eomqsq/Impinger-I-1400-Series. They had two stacked up, which means they can crank out a ton of pizza pretty quickly. We got a small pep for lunch today and a large pep to go for our kids.

The first pic is of the pizza we got last night. Looks just like a Tommy's pizza IMO

The second pic you can see the lamination, looks spot on

The third pic is of the bottom of a piece

The forth pic is of the opening of the kitchen

The fifth pic is the large pep we got to go, they don't do par baked pizzas

The sixth pic is the bottom of the pizza from last night         

If anybody gets to Naples, check out The Crust. Not quite Tommy's, but pretty close
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:14:06 PM by Floridian »
Tommy's pizza fan. Trying to emulate Tommy's using Aimless Ryan's recipe

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #441 on: January 06, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »
And the meatball sub at The Crust was not nearly as good as Tommy's. Not even close

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #442 on: January 06, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
Well I have some very interesting information that I just found out. As we all know, I love pizza, especially Tommy's pizza, and any chance I get to talk pizza with anyone, anytime, anyplace, I do. I've found that I have the tendancy to bait people in to talking pizza, unintentionally of course. So this is the situation I found myself in, sitting in a Dr.'s office at the receptionist's desk, telling her how much I have been enjoying making pizza. She asked what kind of pizza, so I say Tommy's is what I shoot for. She laughed and said she has friends all over, namely in Florida, and when they come to town, the first thing they want is Tommy's Pizza. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised by that because I'm sure that same situation plays itself out many times over, but I was also thinking of Floridian. Then she went onto to say that her brother worked on creating a Tommy's Pizza clone for years and years, and that he took it super seriously,  closely guarding his recipe. And now he has helped open a pizza shop in Naples, Florida with his Tommy's Pizza clone recipe at the helm, called The Crust! I was in total awe and also very excited to know of yet another person who's life has been so affected by our beloved Tommy's Pizza. I checked out The Crust's website and the photos sure look on point to me. Floridian how far do you live from Naples??? I'd love to know what it's like. I also have to wonder has the receptionist's brother been here on Pizzamaking? She said she would check and let me know. Very exciting.
That is what I wrote exactly 1 year ago...You made it happen Floridian! I love it. Floridian and I were texting while he was at The Crust, and I have to say I was overjoyed on so many levels. It's a close call for me, if a I had to choose, which I don't have to thank god, between pizza and the pizza comraderie I have found here on PM. I've said it before but I really like the name Tommy's Pizza Posse...it sounds good!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:01:54 PM by 333meg »
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #443 on: April 10, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
Found a video on youtube featuring the Ezzo Sausage Co.  Mildly interesting.

Edit - Found this blog post too...

Ezzo Sausage Company - Too Cool For School
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 11:27:37 PM by bobgraff »
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline tedcholl

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #444 on: April 20, 2018, 08:36:13 PM »
Nice video Bob.  Thanks for finding and sharing it.

Tedch

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #445 on: June 07, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
Found a video on youtube featuring the Ezzo Sausage Co.  Mildly interesting.

Edit - Found this blog post too...

Ezzo Sausage Company - Too Cool For School

That cup and char pepperoni looks amazing. Penn Mac doesn't offer it but I emailed them asking if they can get it

Offline tedcholl

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #446 on: June 07, 2018, 12:19:16 PM »
Floridian,  that does look amazing and a pepperoni I'd love to buy.  Please share what response you get.

Regards

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #447 on: June 07, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
Floridian,  that does look amazing and a pepperoni I'd love to buy.  Please share what response you get.

Regards

They sent me a link to the 38mm pepperoni so I emailed back with a link to the Ezzo website that shows the cup and char

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #448 on: June 07, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »

Regards

Count me in.  I'd love to try that as well!
Bob

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #449 on: June 08, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »
Heard back from Penn Mac this morning and they don't carry the cup and char

Bummer

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #450 on: June 10, 2018, 05:13:08 PM »
Major development

I'm beginning to feel like laminated pizza is an accident; a byproduct of sheeting dough. The objective is not to laminate the dough. Rather, originally the objective was to turn a large lump of dough into a long, flat sheet of dough. Doing that requires sheeting then folding the dough and putting it back through the sheeter.

I have a lot more to say about this, but having trouble organizing my thoughts right now.
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline Floridian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #451 on: June 10, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
Major development

I'm beginning to feel like laminated pizza is an accident; a byproduct of sheeting dough. The objective is not to laminate the dough. Rather, originally the objective was to turn a large lump of dough into a long, flat sheet of dough. Doing that requires sheeting then folding the dough and putting it back through the sheeter.

I have a lot more to say about this, but having trouble organizing my thoughts right now.

Interesting

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #452 on: June 11, 2018, 12:49:47 PM »
Interesting

In the last year or so I've begun to realize there are a lot of laminated pizzas in Columbus.

Tommy's, of course. Iacono's. Massey's. Tammy's and Cardo's (both near me). These are all obvious.

Then I began to realize Flyers is also laminated. Zammarelli's, too. These pizzas are not cracker style. In fact, you can't even tell they are laminated because they are soft and bready. Unless you've been obsessed with laminated pizza for almost a decade, as I have.

Then a couple weeks ago I had Donatos for the first time in years. I have handled many Donatos skins over the years (which come already-prepared from a commissary), but there was never any reason for me to suspect they are laminated.

Turns out Donatos is laminated, too. I can tell first of all because of its tight crumb, which is a symptom I have recently begun being able to read and understand.

Now I realize almost every pizza in Columbus that I'm familiar with is laminated. The only "Columbus style" pizzas I'm familiar with that aren't laminated are Joseppi's and Rubino's.

When pizza arrived in Columbus (1950s?), there were no pizza experts in Columbus. There were no different pizza styles. There were no suburbs. Pizzamakers here were probably trying to make what New Yorkers make, except they didn't know anything about the pizza you get in New York. Probably all they knew was that it's made out of dough, has tomato sauce and cheese, and may have some toppings. Tommy Iacono knew a lot less about pizza than we do.

I don't know when sheeters became widely available, but I'm guessing it happened in the 1950s. Without sheeters, pizza probably wouldn't have become available in Columbus.

This is gonna be really hard for me to fully explain. Will probably require its own thread.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:54:42 PM by Aimless Ryan »
Ryan

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #453 on: July 25, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »
Bob

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #454 on: February 06, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »
Hey y'all, I have a lot of new information to share. I've wanted to do it for a long time, but I have a really hard time communicating nowadays.

I've been overthinking this for years. But I learned from it. 333meg and Floridian have helped me figure out some of this stuff (or figured it out without me).

I've eaten a lot of Tommy's pizzas since the last time I tried making one. I think this dough formula is a lot closer to the real thing than what I've shared in the past.

100% bread flour or high gluten flour
48-50% water
2% IDY
1% salt
2% oil
2% sugar or malt syrup

This dough has significantly higher hydration than what I've suggested in the past. Also about half as much salt and considerably less oil. (Don't use shortening.)

Bulk ferment 4-8 hours at room temperature.
Roll into four layers, instead of eight.
Don't worry about getting flour between the layers.
Trim and place on perforated American Metalcraft pan.
Top and bake right away, or top and refrigerate for up to 12 hours or so.

I want to say some things about sauce, but not right now.

I believe all the important ingredient brands have been shared in this thread. If not, I know Floridian knows the important stuff.

I'm convinced no one ever intended to make laminated pizza. You simply can't create a sheet of dough without laminating it. I have so much to say. Hope I can sometime.
Ryan

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #455 on: February 06, 2019, 09:40:13 PM »
Good to see you back on the forum Ryan, been awhile! Glad to hear you're hanging tough, keep swinging! Thanks you the update and don't be a stranger.......at least not as strange as me!😉

My favorite poster!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #456 on: February 16, 2019, 10:09:47 AM »
Hey everyone, this is off-topic, but I feel it belongs here. One of my videos is going kind of viral right now, which may soon help change my life for the better. I don't think anyone here except 333meg knows this, but what I thought for years was multiple sclerosis is actually a rare, very painful disease called arachnoiditis. (I still have MS, though.)

I either can't figure out how to embed videos on these boards or I forgot how. So if a moderator would do that for me with this video, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Ryan

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #457 on: February 16, 2019, 12:45:04 PM »
Unbelievable that many cars would go by, you either have that whole town pissed at you for something or there's more aholes at large than I care to admit😂😉
A few years ago there was a young lady in a wheelchair was trying to cross the road, IN A CROSSWALK, and I stopped for her to cross. People kept driving around me, and kept driving from the other direction too! I got out, leaving my emergency flashers on and held my arms up to stop traffic. Most stopped and when she was 1/3 the way across SHE had to stop for a punk the went thru missing her by inches. I'm sure he still has my boot print dented in his car! He stopped as if to come out to fight, but instead yelled that I was lucky and drove away. Might have had something to do with the other 20+ cars that had stopped than with my intimidation, but I was pretty fired up!!!
Keep on brother!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #458 on: April 02, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »
wow....oxy is a real mutha. hope ya make it out alive snarky.  :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #459 on: June 05, 2019, 03:38:23 PM »
Anyone notice that Penn Mac now sells Ezzo Supreme (Cup and Char)? And it's on sale!

http://www.pennmac.com/page/513/

The only bad news is that they no longer appear to offer the standard Ezzo GiAntonio pepperoni.
Bob

wordpress