A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone  (Read 30376 times)

Offline bobgraff

Re: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone
« Reply #380 on: November 22, 2021, 08:00:41 AM »
Congratulations Bob!  I look forward to also trying your sauce recipe.  I noticed you went with Romano over Parmesan this week.  How would you compare the two and do you have a preference?

Thanks Ted.  I also prefer Romano over Parmesan, but will substitute parm if that's what I happen to have pre-grated.
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Online chrisgraff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #381 on: November 24, 2021, 10:30:18 PM »
I had the good fortune of being able to watch the Tommy's Arlington crew make my pizza last night. Surprisingly, they pulled a stack of skins out of the cooler, each on a pizza-pan. 

Dress the pizza... straight in the oven. It occurred to me that the oven must be pretty darn hot to cook a pizza on a cold pan. It was delicious, crispy, etc.

Offline tedcholl

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #382 on: November 26, 2021, 09:59:53 AM »
Hi Chris,

Great post, thanks for posting, and more interesting insights into how Tommy's makes their pizza.  I have a few questions for you.  First, which location did you go to?  Second, were the pans solid or did they have holes in them?  Next, did the skins already have pizza sauce on them?  Was your pizza cooked in a deck oven or a conveyor oven?
I'm asking based on comments others have made in the past about how Tommy's makes their pizzas.

Someone who says they worked at the UA location posted that they cook at 510F.

Thanks!

Online chrisgraff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #383 on: November 26, 2021, 04:22:56 PM »
Hi Chris,

Great post, thanks for posting, and more interesting insights into how Tommy's makes their pizza.  I have a few questions for you.  First, which location did you go to?  Second, were the pans solid or did they have holes in them?  Next, did the skins already have pizza sauce on them?  Was your pizza cooked in a deck oven or a conveyor oven?
I'm asking based on comments others have made in the past about how Tommy's makes their pizzas.

Someone who says they worked at the UA location posted that they cook at 510F.

Thanks!

This was the Upper Arlington location. Skins were on solid pans; not pre-sauced.  Cooked in a conveyor oven.

PS Tasted on its own, I found Tommy’s sauce unremarkable. They just use a lot of black pepper. Love it on the finished product, though!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:32:06 AM by chrisgraff »

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #384 on: November 28, 2021, 10:00:48 AM »
11/23/2021 Dough

410 g Mondako bread flour
176 g water (43%)
28 g SCP Shortening
9 g malt syrup
6 g IDY
6 g salt

Dough Prep
3 hour RT ferment, loosely mixed dough formed into a single ball, then divided into 2 smaller dough balls which were refrigerated in zip lock bags for
4 days. Dough warmed at RT for 2 hours.

Sauce
1 + 1/2 cups Stanislaus Tomato Magic ground tomatoes (strained)
3/16 tsp garlic powder
7/32 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp oregano
1 tbsp Romano cheese
1/32 tsp salt
1/32 tsp lemon juice
1/32 tsp sugar

Cheese
1 + 1/4 cups Grande Mozzarella/Provolone Blend + Romano

The Bake
6.5 min par bake (parchment on steel @ 475) + 6.5 minutes @ 475, fully dressed (screened on oven rack)

Results
I took my pizza making "on the road" for a football party.  I par-baked the skins at home to avoid having to bring my pizza steel to my friend's home - I've followed this process in the past and I find it works really well. Not too many pictures to share this time, but the pizzas turned out great. 

The sauce recipe was modified slightly by increasing the black pepper from 1/8 tsp to 7/32 tsp.  Tommy's sauce has even more pepper, I think.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:35:31 PM by bobgraff »
Bob

Offline tedcholl

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #385 on: November 28, 2021, 10:10:19 AM »
Hi Bob,

I've never tried the Stanislaus Tomato Magic ground tomatoes, how do they differ from the Stanislaus 7/11 ground tomatoes which I currently have?  Would you add the same ingredients and quantities to the sauce or would you make some modification?

Great tip on traveling with parbaked skins!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #386 on: November 28, 2021, 10:23:26 AM »
Hi Bob,

I've never tried the Stanislaus Tomato Magic ground tomatoes, how do they differ from the Stanislaus 7/11 ground tomatoes which I currently have?  Would you add the same ingredients and quantities to the sauce or would you make some modification?

Basically the same, 7/11's contains bits of skin and contain more tomato pectin than Tomato Magic.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:57:27 AM by HansB »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #387 on: November 28, 2021, 10:28:45 AM »
Hi Bob,

My understanding is that 7/11 tomatoes are ground unpeeled and Tomato Magic are peeled, then ground.  It had been a while since I have used them, so I decided to try them again.  I don't think I could say which is better without doing a side-by-side comparison.
Bob

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #388 on: November 28, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »
Would you add the same ingredients and quantities to the sauce or would you make some modification?

No modifications needed when using 7/11 tomatoes vs Tomato Magic. 
Bob

Offline tedcholl

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #389 on: November 28, 2021, 03:01:19 PM »
No modifications needed when using 7/11 tomatoes vs Tomato Magic.

Thanks Bob!  I made your sauce Saturday using the 7/11 tomatoes.  Excellent result although I unfortunately can't do a side by side with Tommy's.