A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Doughs of My Life  (Read 105423 times)

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
Re: The Doughs of My Life
« Reply #1320 on: August 06, 2022, 11:23:02 PM »
OK, let’s talk algorithms . . . .  The fermentation box is a given temp. The fermentation time is usually the same. Your Sourdough % changes with each bake, or frequently . . .  I figure it is your assessment of Salvatore, does he look lively or has he been out all night and needs a bit more time . . . It obviously works for you, my SD, doesn’t speak to me much, or I haven’t learned to listen.
Greg
A very patient wife! An Alfa Forni Brio for gas and wood.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1321 on: August 07, 2022, 10:34:57 AM »
OK, let’s talk algorithms . . . .  The fermentation box is a given temp. The fermentation time is usually the same. Your Sourdough % changes with each bake, or frequently . . .  I figure it is your assessment of Salvatore, does he look lively or has he been out all night and needs a bit more time . . . It obviously works for you, my SD, doesn’t speak to me much, or I haven’t learned to listen.

My sourdough is very well behaved this summer, so I just basically determine the SD amount based on time and temperature.

As you say, the temperature is pretty much fixed at 21C lately (I did 20C for a while prior to that), so the sourdough percentage varies only because the fermentation time varies with a few hours. According to my logs, my recent SD bakes have been in one of three categories:

20 hours at 21C: 6.1% SD
21 hours at 21C: 5.3% SD
23 hours at 21C: 4.1% SD

Fingers crossed it will be this simple next summer too (I had some issues last summer, and I had to up the amounts quite a lot to get good results)

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #1322 on: August 08, 2022, 03:42:19 PM »
Your pizza's are stunning, Arne and i wonder if they get any better? Do i need to go to Norway instead of Naples? Well, perhaps they could be a bit better because i keep wondering: where's the hog at, where's the hog at?  ??? >:D

Greetings from the Frozenlands!

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1323 on: August 13, 2022, 03:12:25 AM »
Your pizza's are stunning, Arne and i wonder if they get any better? Do i need to go to Norway instead of Naples? Well, perhaps they could be a bit better because i keep wondering: where's the hog at, where's the hog at?  ??? >:D

Greetings from the Frozenlands!

Thank you so much! The hog is coming right up.  :-D

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1324 on: August 13, 2022, 03:14:19 AM »
Yesterday was a splendid day and we had guests for pizza.

The dough:
63% water, 2.8% salt, 6.1% SD
20 hours (12+8) @ 21 °C

We did mostly common variations over red pizza, but most interesting today was that I tried Greg's Pea Pesto Pie for the first time. My version perhaps a tad overboard with the mortadella, but on the other hand I thought it worked quite well to complement the very bright and refreshing pea pesto, which had quite a bit of acidity in it (also grabbed directly from greg's link). And ok, I may have been a little heavy handed on the pistachio. But everybody had a taste and we alle liked it very much. Thank you Greg for a great tip, this one might just get into regular rotation. :chef:

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1325 on: August 13, 2022, 02:45:32 PM »
Excellent pizza and first rate photographs Arne!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1326 on: August 20, 2022, 01:14:07 AM »
Without much of a plan, a low-threshold menu was the way yesterday; margherita, jamon and a well-known dough formulation: 100% Pizzeria, 63% water,  2.8% salt and 5.3% SD. Fermented and matured for a total of 21 hours (11+10) at 21 °C.

We've had too much rain for my liking this past week, but yesterday the sky cleared up, as if commanding me to spend some quality time making pizza. I happily oblige of course, and may that happen again soon.

In preparation for something to do when the season ends, I've been doing some research and came over an amazing tree type called the margherita tree (promotional photo below). Have you ever seen something like this!? Seeds have been ordered and I can't wait to see if my harvest will be anything like in the commercial.  :pizza:

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1327 on: August 20, 2022, 10:06:27 AM »
Very nice pizza Arne, I like the pics where you present the pizza on that 12” wooden board, a very nice presentation.
I tried that Margherita tree here, perhaps it is a climate thing but mine burnt around the edges.

OK, you win again! I may just have to take lessons to try to catch up!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 10:22:48 AM by Icelandr »
Greg

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1328 on: August 21, 2022, 01:49:55 AM »
Cheers mate! Sorry about your margherita tree being scorched by the fire season. (And I hope mine can survive the frost.) But I am happy to hear that you like the cutting board. I'll see if I can upgrade my PMCD so it is both is long enough and imperial enough to double check those numbers for you.

Two weeks in a row we've lucked out and had beautiful weekend weather. Now the thunderstorms are rolling in.

Fingers crossed for next weekend.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1329 on: August 21, 2022, 05:23:43 PM »
Damn clever Margherita Tree . . .  AI again?

I am reminded again that your Blowtorch Pizza also looked better than my Ooni bakes, but searching for a solution. Hope your season continues for quite a while, here there are no gas power tools allowed, no flames, construction is shut down, but gas bbq’s etc allowed. Keep the pizza coming, a joy to see.
Greg

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1330 on: August 23, 2022, 10:54:00 AM »
You got me, it was the AI that did it. Messing with those text to image AIs is just so much fun.

Can you still use the Ooni then?

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1331 on: August 27, 2022, 06:07:16 PM »
Ok the margherita tree was a joke, but we do have ripe San Marzano tomatoes in abundance, and also lots and lots of zucchini. So the menu today was sort of given: Scarpetta and ... something with zucchini.  :D

Caputo Pizzeria mixed with 65% water, 2.8% salt and 6.7% SD went into the dough box set to 20 °C for a total of 22 hours (14+8). This resulted in a doubling of the volume and a pretty agreeable dough when it came to shaping and dressing the pizza.

A margherita first, I love margherita. Then a Scarpetta, and finally one with zucchini cream, parmigiano, mozzarella, salsiccia, zucchini chips and EVO. A tiny sprinkling of chili too. I used a few leaves of mint in the zucchini cream, a good idea it turned out.

I know I've said this before, but boy that sourdough is really peaking this summer. Well behaved and with some very nice flavors. It was a good bake it was.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1332 on: September 02, 2022, 06:14:22 PM »
On Wednesday a brown package wrapped in red tape appeared in my mailbox, originating from Gabriola, an Island far far away. Unboxing revealed a plastic bag filled with a fine white powder. A few carefully handwritten words on the plastic bag revealed that I was now in possession of half a kilo of Ardent Mills Primo Mulino, courtesy of Greg. This is a brand new flour to me, and according to rumors it is only available in Canada. What a treat! Thank you!

Based on good advice I made a 64% HR dough from it, using my regular salt dosage of 2.8% as well as 5.3% SD. I also made the same exact dough with Caputo Pizzeria. So I had 3 + 3 dough balls to play with and compare. Fermentation and maturation was done at 21 °C for 21 hours (11 hours in bulk + 10 hours in balls).

My first impressions of this new flour came immediately upon mixing the doughs. I experienced that I got a significantly denser/drier dough with Ardent Mills than what I got with Caputo at the same hydration level, and the consistency was almost clay like, or, as Icelandr so perfectly describes it, as "silly putty". It seems Ardent Mills is able to absorb more water compared to Caputo, at least with my batch of Caputo Pizzeria.

When I balled it up, I again found Ardent Mills to be quite a bit firmer. At this point, I was wondering if perhaps I should have used a little more water, since the Primo Mulino dough seemed almost too dry or dense.

The resulting dough balls looked quite different from each other as a result. As can be seen from the attached photo, the Caputo balls (left) had a rustic kind of look, while the Ardent Mills balls (right) had a smoother surface.

When ready to cook, the Caputo balls had flattened more than the Primo Mulino ones. Not unexpected perhaps, given the observations so far. I include a photo of this as well, left (A) is Caputo, right (B) is Ardent Mills.

I found that I was able to extract a more even browning with better freckling (for my taste at least) with Ardent Mills. It can be a property of the flour, or perhaps it's related to the absorption level. Whatever the cause, I was more happy with how the Ardent Mills pies looked in this regard.

There was a discernible difference in taste and texture between the two doughs, but it is hard to describe. For texture, I found that Ardent Mills was very smooth and polished, and Caputo was ever so slightly raggedy/rough (comparatively). Both versions were nice and soft, Caputo perhaps won in the tenderness section, while Ardent Mills had a "full pillow" kind of feel which I liked quite a bit.

In an attempt to isolate the flavor of the flour from everything else, I  made two very simple pies with just rosemary, olive oil and salt. Still difficult to pin down exactly what made these taste slightly different. The best way I can describe it is that Ardent Mills tasted "rounder" and "less rough/rustic".

I liked this flour, it seems like a very good flour for neapolitan pizza.

The resulting pizza can be seen below. Again left = Caputo, right = Ardent Mills.

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #1333 on: September 02, 2022, 06:23:45 PM »
Your pizzas look great as always, very nice of Greg to send you some flour, shelves are loaded with it in my area as well.
I SMILE AND WAVE....
Inhale pizza, exhale negativity.

Halo Versa 16 ready for duty!

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1334 on: September 07, 2022, 01:37:54 PM »
Your pizzas look great as always, very nice of Greg to send you some flour, shelves are loaded with it in my area as well.

Thank you Kori, yes it seems like you have access to great and reasonably priced flour then.  :)

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1335 on: September 07, 2022, 01:38:34 PM »
Sneaking in a weekday bake, this was a sun and mushrooms day.

Caputo Pizzeria, 65% water, 2.8% salt, 4.9% SD. 10+10 hours at 21 °C.

The mushroom pies hit home, but of course a margherita was required too.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1336 on: September 09, 2022, 11:39:12 PM »
Arne, Thank you for all your work and insight with the small package of flour! When Covid struck I was met with a supply issue, no more Caputo Blue and this Ardent Mills “Primo Molino” was a substitute. It has worked very well for me, but as no one will be surprised I have not done much in a side by side comparison.
We are not exactly neighbours. The distance that bag of “white powder” travelled unscathed by drug inspectors at borders is surprising, its first destination on its way from Gabriola to Norway was California and I have to say I was a bit concerned.
Thank you for the post and your analysis. A great deal of fun is generated long distances, but . .  .it seems to take on a golden hue in Norway!
Greg

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1337 on: September 12, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »
I was able to source a jar of friarielli from a local pizzeria this week-end. I've been longing for that classic "salsiccia and friarielli" pie for a while now - a true taste of Naples in my opinion.

I made dough with Caputo Pizzeria, 65% water, 2.8% salt and 4.6% SD, set it to 21 °C and let it alone for 13+8=21 hours.

In all the excitement I guess I kind of overloaded the friarielli pie. Very tasty nevertheless, with mozzarella, friarielli, salsiccia, conciato romano and evo.

The Margherita got a small upgrade too with some slices of "jamaican bell". That's the Norwegian name for a mild but deliciously flavored chili pepper with a unique shape. I think it may be the same as "Bishop's crown" / "Joker's hat" (not sure why but this makes me think of some of Greg's headgear).

A couple of photos that document the bake below.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1338 on: October 04, 2022, 03:06:19 AM »
The forecast projected a beautiful October Monday and my irresistible pizza craving trumped the fact that I would be all alone that day. With Caputo Pizzeria still in stock, I made the dough using 65% water, 2.8% salt and 6.1% Ischia SD. This wonderful mass was fermented and matured at 21 °C for a total of 20 hours, 11 in bulk, 9 in balls.

In the hopes of keeping the sun happy and willing to return soon, I made a yellow margherita. After that I made one with friarielli and nduja. I enjoyed them both.

With a couple of doughs left, I made calzone for my kids to reheat when they return.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #1339 on: October 05, 2022, 04:05:49 PM »
Wow just amazing! This is where cooking becomes art!

Your kids must be very happy!