A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A way to "remove dough from fridge" when not at home. Smart mini fridge?  (Read 470 times)

Offline EthanPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone know how one could theoretically take a doughball out of the fridge while away from home. In other words there any way for someone to raise the temp on a doughball from work without physically being home? Perhaps a smart mini fridge on a timer or with a remote app that allows temp regulation remotely? Anyone have any ideas?

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
You need a robot, or a well trained dog?
Seriously, take the doughs out of 37° and use an ice chest with frozen water bottles to get you there.
Mine holds a good 12 + hours at the mid 60 to 70 degree range. The fermentation will speed up, but not too fast, and if your dough isn't ready to go when you get back to it, you can use the heat of your oven light to get your dough warmed up enough to get you there. 
Alternately, try fermentation entirely in the ice chest. My experience has been to need an extra set of bottles frozen, to swap out after 12 or so hours and keep the temp a bit stable. Even if the temp gets a bit warmer, it will still be cool enough in there to keep your dough happy for hours even if you can't replenish the ice by the clock. 
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline EthanPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Lol. Right!

I'll try that.  I think I've found a couple  other options that may work too. One is simply getting a couple cheap adjustable portable coolers have one at 41F and one at 72F keep one at work and swap from 41 to 72 at the right time and bring home with me and set the 72 to 41  each night and repeat.

Alternatively a smart app wine cooler that I can use an app for to adjust up to 64 until I get home, then finish at room temp last 3 hours.

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
Well, a mini fridge with a smart switched outlet you could turn off and some Arduino powered linear actuator to open the door at the same time. Or maybe the Arduino powered thing both opens the door and then turns off it and the fridge. Or 2 smart outlets, one runs a dumb linear actuator that extends when powered on and turns itself off when fully extended and the other turns the fridge on and off. Unless the fridge has built in heating, it's both a fridge and an ice chest, turning it off won't be enough.

Ira

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
Ethan, not sure what you are looking for,  but if you want to switch from cool to room temperature at a specific time , that is not all that hard.  I did it a few times when proofing dough.  I have a small wine cooler , I used two programable timers, set the first one to control the wine fridge, set the second one to control a digital temperature controller hooked up to a heating pad that stayed in the wine cooler.  Not sure how quickly it transitioned the ambient temperature, IIRC i set the wine cooler timer to go off an hour before the heating pad came on so they did not get in a fight.   You would not be able to control it remotely,  but it did work fine the few times I tried it . 
Current Ovens  -  BS, Ooni Koda 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact,
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
You need a robot, or a well trained dog?
Seriously, take the doughs out of 37° and use an ice chest with frozen water bottles to get you there.
Mine holds a good 12 + hours at the mid 60 to 70 degree range. The fermentation will speed up, but not too fast, and if your dough isn't ready to go when you get back to it, you can use the heat of your oven light to get your dough warmed up enough to get you there. 
Alternately, try fermentation entirely in the ice chest. My experience has been to need an extra set of bottles frozen, to swap out after 12 or so hours and keep the temp a bit stable. Even if the temp gets a bit warmer, it will still be cool enough in there to keep your dough happy for hours even if you can't replenish the ice by the clock.

what a smart idea!
I SMILE AND WAVE....

wordpress