A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How to use the broiler efficiently ?  (Read 384 times)

Offline schibetta

• I Love Pizza!
How to use the broiler efficiently ?
« on: September 06, 2021, 11:45:42 AM »
Hello,

Recently I changed the way I bake my pizzas in my home oven. I pre-heat my pizza steel in the very bottom rack for one hour using a setup in my oven that radiates the heat from the bottom (I don't know how it's called in english) so my pizzas now get a very crispy bottom and I can see all the potential of my pizza steel.

But the issue I have is the top of the pizza isn't browned enough and remains quite white.

It seems I have a broiler setup in my oven but I've never used it.

For the next bake what I'd like to try is to cook my pizza enough on my pizza steel (placed on the bottom rack) with the setup that radiates heat from the bottom, then switch to the broiler and transfer my pizza on another pizza stone (that I have too) (placed on the top oven rack maybe) and finish cooking the top for some time until it's good enough to my eyes

In general how long should you cook the pizza with the broiler method ? Can 1 minute be enough ? I don't have experience with it and I'd like to get my pizzas more balanced, I'm really happy with the bottom now, it starts to taste like pizza

thanks in advance

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
Re: How to use the broiler efficiently ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 12:25:57 PM »
Steel on top rack -  2 inches (or so) from element. Preheat under broiler until element turns off -- 20 minutes or so. Launch pie. Element will turn on again. Bottom of pie cooks from the hot steel, top of pie cooks from broiler element. Mine finish in 110 seconds.

Offline nickyr

Re: How to use the broiler efficiently ?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 12:57:23 AM »
Steel on top rack -  2 inches (or so) from element. Preheat under broiler until element turns off -- 20 minutes or so. Launch pie. Element will turn on again. Bottom of pie cooks from the hot steel, top of pie cooks from broiler element. Mine finish in 110 seconds.
Yeah something like this sounds right to me too!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress