A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit sourdough dough advice  (Read 196 times)

Offline jose9989

• I Love Pizza!
Detroit sourdough dough advice
« on: October 05, 2021, 04:25:45 PM »
Hello, I need some advice.

I do sourdough Detroit style. My method is 70% hydration, 20% starter, 2% salt,regular bread flour. Autolyse for 30 min, knead 10 min with hand(slap and fold). Bulk ferment till double in size. 24 to 48 hours in fridge. Take it out to get it to room temp, stretch it in pan. Parbake. And Topp and cook. I use a conveyor at 435 right now but will start a using a deck oven soon.

The issue I have is with oven spring. There is too much oven spring and is impossible to keep the toppings on because of the dome. Also there is shrinkage so I can almost never get the cheesy crust.  Any advice on having less oven spring and keeping the dough on the edges? I tried cheese on while par baking but dough is still rising a lot!

Offline Gluten4punishment

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Detroit sourdough dough advice
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 10:39:29 AM »
That is pretty high hydration when you factor in the starter

Maybe go down to 10% starter and lower the hydration , maybe add some oil or spread some olive oil on the top before par baking

Offline PapaJawnz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 10:31:23 PM »
I think the dough needs to ferment longer.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 10:41:26 AM »
How long do you wait between stretching and parbaking? I used to have the same problem but Iím getting better by letting it rise in the pan at room temp before parbaking

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 11:20:49 PM »
I've been parbaking Detroits/Sicilians a lot recently. The puffing up was also an issues for me. Then a few weeks ago I was watching a youtube vid (I think it was Vitto) on Roman style and the guy poked 3 or 4 spots around the dough right  before launch to keep that from happening. He had some way of explaining why it worked I can't really recall but it does seem to help. I've done 20-30 since and have had zero do it while normally 10-20% would.

Hope it helps.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 11:43:42 PM »
I've been parbaking Detroits/Sicilians a lot recently. The puffing up was also an issues for me. Then a few weeks ago I was watching a youtube vid (I think it was Vitto) on Roman style and the guy poked 3 or 4 spots around the dough right  before launch to keep that from happening. He had some way of explaining why it worked I can't really recall but it does seem to help. I've done 20-30 since and have had zero do it while normally 10-20% would.

Hope it helps.
Can you share a picture?

wordpress