A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: BIGA vs. Poolish IDY  (Read 323 times)

Offline plusacht

• I Love Pizza!
BIGA vs. Poolish IDY
« on: November 13, 2021, 08:08:44 PM »
Hey, am I right that BIGA is using 0.6% IDY compared with Poolish at 0.3% IDY?

Thanks

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: BIGA vs. Poolish IDY
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 03:13:20 AM »

Thanks

Hi,

The biga "standard" is 1% CY (so if you use 500g flour in your biga, that would be 5g CY), but as the "standard" is also xx hours at 18°C, I just cannot follow it because I don't have any wine cellar. So I adapt my yeast to my RT (which is pretty much the same as yours as I'm in Guangdong, China) according to the duration I want (overnight fermentation, morning for evening fermentation...).
I'm not sure there's a standard amount for the poolish, although I heard about a duration "standard" which would be 8H at a certain T° (22°C? I don't remember well).

I added quotes to the word "standard" because IMHO you can still make a biga even with a 25-30°C RT and less yeast, and everybody would tell you that a longer poolish yields better flavors.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Willthepizzamaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 03:47:43 AM »

Thanks

As long as PH of dough meets at 5.2~5.5. You can change yeast amounts according to temperature / time but end PH should be those range. Poolish too, depends on temperature/ time you can decrease or increase amount of yeast.

0.6% idy on biga is good (which is similar to 1% fresh yeast) just need to watch your mix temperature, and hydration on biga.
and poolish is bit high side on yeast (fresh yeast 0.3% okay) unless you do poolish short time on high temperature or using very very strong flour.

and I'm having trouble to understand your question. Are you asking they are same? because to get true "biga" it's very strict on time, temperature, mixing technique, and end result on poolish is more less strict but without saying time and temperature, we can't say it's same. Also poolish and biga end results are quite different (people who says same, are not paying attention enough on their dough)

Offline plusacht

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 06:11:51 PM »
As long as PH of dough meets at 5.2~5.5. You can change yeast amounts according to temperature / time but end PH should be those range. Poolish too, depends on temperature/ time you can decrease or increase amount of yeast.

0.6% idy on biga is good (which is similar to 1% fresh yeast) just need to watch your mix temperature, and hydration on biga.
and poolish is bit high side on yeast (fresh yeast 0.3% okay) unless you do poolish short time on high temperature or using very very strong flour.

and I'm having trouble to understand your question. Are you asking they are same? because to get true "biga" it's very strict on time, temperature, mixing technique, and end result on poolish is more less strict but without saying time and temperature, we can't say it's same. Also poolish and biga end results are quite different (people who says same, are not paying attention enough on their dough)

Thanks, I am aware of temperatures etc. Just wanted to get some rule of thumb which you provided - 0.6% vs. 0.2% (subject to room temperature and/or fridge). Also they are certainly not the same :)

Offline plusacht

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 06:12:14 PM »
Hi,

The biga "standard" is 1% CY (so if you use 500g flour in your biga, that would be 5g CY), but as the "standard" is also xx hours at 18°C, I just cannot follow it because I don't have any wine cellar. So I adapt my yeast to my RT (which is pretty much the same as yours as I'm in Guangdong, China) according to the duration I want (overnight fermentation, morning for evening fermentation...).
I'm not sure there's a standard amount for the poolish, although I heard about a duration "standard" which would be 8H at a certain T° (22°C? I don't remember well).

I added quotes to the word "standard" because IMHO you can still make a biga even with a 25-30°C RT and less yeast, and everybody would tell you that a longer poolish yields better flavors.

Thanks!

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 10:18:14 PM »
For biga, the 0.6% IDY sounds right as previously mentioned.

For poolish, it's all variable based on your target number of hours.

This is the standard recomendation for fresh yeast:

4 h -> 1.5% yeast
7 h -> 1% yeast
11 h -> 0.5% yeast
13 h -> 0.3% yeast
15 h -> 0.1% yeast

For IDY, I would change it to this:

4 h -> 1% yeast
7 h -> 0.6% yeast
11 h -> 0.3% yeast
13 h -> 0.2% yeast
15 h -> 0.1% yeast (Fabrizio Casucci told me don't go below 0.1% yeast, so this last one is not a linear drop)

At the end of the day, your room temp will vary, so you'll need to watch the poolish and the clock. It's ready when you see a small crack in the middle and the very first signs of recession.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 10:19:57 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline plusacht

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 02:44:29 AM »
Fantastic, thanks a lot.

Offline photosvein

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 04:51:06 AM »
Poolish is 12hours at 18-20c
You can have a poolish go up to 24hours but for 12+ you need a flour with w300 or more