Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ilya_n on 15 Nov 2021
  • Hi everyone,

I'm looking to try making a grandma pie. All the recipes I saw post the bake temps of around 500-525F. I assume this is due to the temp limitation of the the home ranges.
    I would like to bake it in my pizza oven so higher temperature is not an issue.

It makes me wonder, what's the ideal temperature for grandma style pizza? Should I bother with the pizza oven or simply stick to the gas range? I like the crispy crust of grandma which suggests longer cook at lower temps but I would like to not deal with parbaking.

TIA
  • #2 by scott r on 15 Nov 2021
  • I personally dont par bake my grandma pizzas.   500-525 is standard in pizzerias, not just suggested for home.  If you bake too hot you run the risk of a gum layer of uncooked dough under the sauce and cheese. 
  • #3 by TXCraig1 on 15 Nov 2021
  • In Florida, I think most grandmas like to bake in the low-mid 80's - at least in the winter months.
  • #4 by ilya_n on 15 Nov 2021
  • I personally dont par bake my grandma pizzas.   500-525 is standard in pizzerias, not just suggested for home.  If you bake too hot you run the risk of a gum layer of uncooked dough under the sauce and cheese.

Got it - will try to bake at that low 500 range with all ingredients on. Thanks a bunch!
  • #5 by ilya_n on 15 Nov 2021
  • In Florida, I think most grandmas like to bake in the low-mid 80's - at least in the winter months.

Ahahahahahha  ;D
  • #6 by scott r on 15 Nov 2021
  • Got it - will try to bake at that low 500 range with all ingredients on. Thanks a bunch!

your dough hydration will really dictate what temp you can go with.   If you use a dough on the dryer side you can go higher in temp.  I personally prefer a wetter dough then dryer.
  • #7 by ilya_n on 19 Nov 2021
  • Tried a bake out… did a parbake first… wow is all I can say… next time will try to make it just a bit crunchier.
Pages:
Actions