A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cracks in my new subito cotto 60  (Read 390 times)

Offline dinuch

• I Love Pizza!
Cracks in my new subito cotto 60
« on: November 21, 2021, 02:55:38 AM »
Despite a careful curing procedure my subito cotto 60 has, much to my dismay, acquired three cracks in the dome. Although the cracks are hairline (about 1/16 of an inch when fired up) they still concern me deeply. I'm aware of the manual which states that hairline cracks in refractory ovens are "normal" but I can't help feeling disappointed that the oven has cracked so soon. Anyone else with these types of ovens experience this and perhaps have any words of advice/consolation? Much appreciated.

Offline ilya_n

Re: Cracks in my new subito cotto 60
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 08:29:38 PM »
Despite a careful curing procedure my subito cotto 60 has, much to my dismay, acquired three cracks in the dome. Although the cracks are hairline (about 1/16 of an inch when fired up) they still concern me deeply. I'm aware of the manual which states that hairline cracks in refractory ovens are "normal" but I can't help feeling disappointed that the oven has cracked so soon. Anyone else with these types of ovens experience this and perhaps have any words of advice/consolation? Much appreciated.

Did you check with zio by any chance? Very curious what they’d say…

Offline dinuch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 01:47:03 AM »
Yes. Sent an email. Waiting for response

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 08:44:57 AM »
It's almost certainly nothing to worry about.

Post a couple pictures.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ilya_n

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 09:07:55 AM »
It's almost certainly nothing to worry about.

Post a couple pictures.

Craig the OP posted a picture on my another thread here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=71893.msg689082#msg689082

That crack on the left through the dome is probably something I would be concerned about. Seems like all they way through no?

Offline mtomasco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 01:21:22 PM »
I have a refractory concrete smoker/BBQ that has a crack similar to the one in your picture.  It goes through the wall and over 20 years, enough smoke leaked through that I needed to remove exterior loose tiles and reattach them.  Other than that, I haven't had any problems and the BBQ has performed great at temperatures of 200-750F.  I would hope that the Zio performs similarly.

Offline dinuch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 02:14:59 PM »
Ya, I’ve seen similar cracks in pics on some Italian forums, curiously at the exact spot as mine. Im awaiting word from Zio Ciro. I’ve read elsewhere that these types of cracks are “normal” for refractory ovens due to thermal expansion but I wish it hadn’t happened so soon. Thanks for the replies. Will keep you updated regarding Zio C response.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 03:53:16 PM »
My gut feeling is that it's not a big deal. Curious what the manufacturer says.,
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 10:13:26 PM »

That's the frustrating thing with castable refractories. Ya can't get a pizza oven to the temperatures required to form mullite. So they aren't as tolerant of thermal differentials as we'd like.
Mick

Offline dinuch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 02:14:02 AM »
It is unfortunate, because I own both a steel pizza oven (pizza party bollore) and the refractory zio. I must say I do find there is a difference in the pizzas coming out of both. There is a difference in texture when biting into the dough and I frankly prefer those coming out of the Zio. I am not an expert by any means, but I tend to attribute this to the refractory stone and its characteristics vis a vis heat diffusion i.e., heat emanating from both flame and saturated stone. Perhaps I'm wrong. But you are definitely correct that in terms of resiliency and longevity stone has its drawbacks.

Offline wotavidone

• A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 05:34:20 AM »
That's your oven in that link isn't it?
Looks annoying but not terminal to me.
Mick

Offline ARenko

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 09:00:41 AM »
What is the manufacturer going to say that they haven't already said in the manual? I.e. cracks are normal.

That they happened this early is expected imo.

Offline dinuch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2021, 12:15:03 PM »
What is the manufacturer going to say that they haven't already said in the manual? I.e. cracks are normal.

That they happened this early is expected imo.

You are quite correct!

Response from manufacture is that the cracks in photo look like common cracks that are completely normal in a handmade product like mine and that they certainly do not affect the performance of the oven. They do recommend that I keep an eye on them over time.

My concerns have been assuaged somewhat, but I wasn’t expecting such cracking so soon. And I really do hope that further cracking won’t occur or that the existing cracks won’t get worse. If it does, I will then be in a position to ascertain the level of service afforded me from both manufacturer and vendor following such an expensive purchase.  In the meantime I’ll be firing up.