Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Smash on 25 Nov 2021
  • Hi,

I made a polish dough yesterday and I forgot to place it in the fridge, so it was on the counter for 8 hours instead of 1, now it is finally in the fridge. The question is if this polish is expired or if I could still use it tonight when doing the rest of the dough (that will be baked tomorrow).

Regards
  • #2 by foreplease on 25 Nov 2021
  • It should be fine.
  • #3 by scott r on 25 Nov 2021
  • I personally would be careful with it.  Im not sure how much yeast etc.   If you use a poolish too late it will ruin your bread, there will be no browning and the crumb will not be right either.  If it hasn't fallen you will be fine, but if it has collapsed I would do a direct dough.
  • #4 by loch on 25 Nov 2021
  • Generally, a poolish is ready when it is pulling away from the sides of the bowl and just starting to collapse in the center. One that is a bit past that will usually still impart good flavor but may not always provide the same amount of rise for the dough. With pizza dough I usually am looking more for flavor than rise for the dough.

This is a shot of a poolish that I use for bread baking. You can see it starting to pull away from the sides of the bowl and sort of see it just starting to sink in the center.

Dave

Pages:
Actions