A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizzeria Uno and the Mysterious Origins of Deep-Dish Pizza  (Read 712 times)

Offline garyd

Pizzeria Uno and the Mysterious Origins of Deep-Dish Pizza
« on: December 15, 2021, 05:31:46 PM »
I found this on youtube last night. The fascinating history of Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. Possibly as close as we will ever get to the true origins:

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Pizzeria Uno and the Mysterious Origins of Deep-Dish Pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 05:54:02 PM »
Regarding the History of Deep Dish Pizza, Peter Regas had an article featured in 'The Chicago Food Cultura Clarion' publication on 6-24-2021.

Here is a hopefully legible screenshot of the article which is featured on page 10 of that publication.
-- Ed Heller - aka VCB (virtual cheeseburger)
-- Real Deep Dish Dot Com
https://www.realdeepdish.com/
https://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
https://www.twitter.com/RDDpizza

** Help Me Pay the Bills **
https://paypal.me/edheller
https://cash.app/realdeepdish (or use the CashApp mobile app)

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
https://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline garyd

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 07:22:16 PM »
Regarding the History of Deep Dish Pizza, Peter Regas had an article featured in 'The Chicago Food Cultura Clarion' publication on 6-24-2021.

Here is a hopefully legible screenshot of the article which is featured on page 10 of that publication.

Thanks vcb!

I've never been to Chicago but a Pizzeria Uno opened in the Denver area in the early 80's and I loved it and ate there many times but it closed just a few years later by the mid 80's. They opened a few Uno's Chicago Grills in the Denver area in the 90's but the pizzas were not the same or as good as the Pizzeria Uno that opened here in the early 80's.

Since falling in love with the pizza from Uno's that I ate in the early to mid 80's, I've tried recreating the pizzas at home ever since they closed and thanks to this forum, I've been able to come close. But I went several years making substandard pies with cornmeal! Lol!

Offline Anchovy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »
My Uncle, Bill Bachner owned 50% of that Uno's in Denver, with Tom Trankina and Tom Tucker each owning 25%. They had no idea about how to run a pizzeria and poured tons of money into a place that the margins could never recover. No matter, 2 of the 3 were successful CBOT commodity traders and they wanted to do this. They were all absentee owners, and as anyone knows, that don't work in the restaurant biz. The GM was just a friend of theirs and he also had no clue. It was one of the first franchises uno's had, way before the roll out of the Pizzeria and Grill concept. It was also one of the 1st to go under. they and I are all from the Chicago area. Good pizza, bad uncle

Offline garyd

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 08:29:27 AM »
My Uncle, Bill Bachner owned 50% of that Uno's in Denver, with Tom Trankina and Tom Tucker each owning 25%. They had no idea about how to run a pizzeria and poured tons of money into a place that the margins could never recover. No matter, 2 of the 3 were successful CBOT commodity traders and they wanted to do this. They were all absentee owners, and as anyone knows, that don't work in the restaurant biz. The GM was just a friend of theirs and he also had no clue. It was one of the first franchises uno's had, way before the roll out of the Pizzeria and Grill concept. It was also one of the 1st to go under. they and I are all from the Chicago area. Good pizza, bad uncle

Wow! That's interesting! Yeah, I figured it was bad management because the place seemed to always be crowded. The pizza was always excellent so at least they got that right. Do you remember how long it was open? Seems like it lasted at least a couple of years.

Offline Anchovy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 03:26:46 PM »
Wow! That's interesting! Yeah, I figured it was bad management because the place seemed to always be crowded. The pizza was always excellent so at least they got that right. Do you remember how long it was open? Seems like it lasted at least a couple of years.

It only lasted a couple years with my uncle at the helm. Pretty good for him. He usually messes stuff up quicker. Not sure if it was a BK for the corporation or what, but I do know my deadbeat uncle filed for chapter 7 persoanally. After that, Tucker bought out the other two partners and ran it for however long, til it ended. I didn't keep up with the failure after my failure of an uncle bowed out.

Offline garyd

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 05:28:42 AM »
It only lasted a couple years with my uncle at the helm. Pretty good for him. He usually messes stuff up quicker. Not sure if it was a BK for the corporation or what, but I do know my deadbeat uncle filed for chapter 7 persoanally. After that, Tucker bought out the other two partners and ran it for however long, til it ended. I didn't keep up with the failure after my failure of an uncle bowed out.

I wish it could have kept going a little longer but I guess it would have been eventually replaced with a Uno's Chicago Grill and their non authentic deep dish recipe anyway.

In the 80's, after the Denver store closed, I did find a couple of Pizzeria Uno's while we were on vacation. One in San Francisco and one in Honolulu. Both were excellent and the same as I had in the Denver location.

wordpress