A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How do you Guys Store your Flour  (Read 482 times)

Offline mobiledynamics

• I Love Pizza!
How do you Guys Store your Flour
« on: January 03, 2022, 03:14:20 PM »
I've got plenty of those containers - glass lock, oxo plastic ones with the seal, etc.....The plastic with the seal IMO are not airtight remotely, even though they are heavily marketed.

I DO have a chamber food sealer as well. Will do a 12x15 Bag.

I have a bit too much flour on hand. Just a smidge. Don't really want to put it into the ice box, as the both freezers have been filled with stuff since the March of when it began..

Is it worthwhile even bothering vac bagging flour ?

Offline tracy

Re: How do you Guys Store your Flour
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 03:20:39 PM »
I store my bleached and bromated flour in a 22 qt Cambro container with a lid at room temperature; it fits the contents of a 25 lb bag perfectly.  I don't take any specific precautions regarding an airtight seal and some napkin math suggests I probably go through the 25 lbs in approximately 3 months.  I previously lived on the east coast and now live in the mid-west and have never had an issue with insects. 

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 03:28:41 PM »
Freezer or fridge for all my flour. If original package is paper then that gets inserted into plastic bag. I transfer from large sacks into zip lock bags as needed.

Short stint living in Florida got me fearing all sorts of bugs and lizards getting into food.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 03:37:46 PM »
Always freeze flour for three weeks before use to kill anything that might be in it.
I have plastic containers that seal nicely for 5lb bags.
If I don't use it often, it stays in the freezer.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 04:42:40 PM »
I've got 2 food safe 5 gallon buckets that I put gamma seal screw top lids on. The two buckets pretty much hold a 50 pound bag of flour. I keep the sealed buckets in the basement where the temperature is in the 55-65 deg F range.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Companion-5-gal-and-3-5-gal-Screw-Top-Bucket-Lid-in-Black-LD5GRLBK006/303808738

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 12:24:18 PM »
I've got 2 food safe 5 gallon buckets that I put gamma seal screw top lids on. The two buckets pretty much hold a 50 pound bag of flour. I keep the sealed buckets in the basement where the temperature is in the 55-65 deg F range.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Companion-5-gal-and-3-5-gal-Screw-Top-Bucket-Lid-in-Black-LD5GRLBK006/303808738

Same Here!!!!!

Offline Pizza5050

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 10:11:41 AM »
I purchased a Gamma2 Vittles Vault Outback Airtight Pet Food Container, 40 Pounds. $38 on Amazon and love it.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002H3S5K/?tag=pmak-20

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 06:09:40 PM »
I bought 6 of these 8qt Cambros with plastic lids for flour storage in the freezer. I'm kind of second guessing it. I thought "Cambro, must be ok!" but I don't think they are air tight. Any thoughts? I have a couple more that I haven't opened and could still return.
Carl

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 06:16:03 PM »
I have lots of Cambro containers but still prefer freezer bags as you can squeeze them in with less wasted space.

wordpress