A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How much yeast to use for a 12-24 hour cold ferment?  (Read 330 times)

Offline Pizzafrost98

• I Love Pizza!
How much yeast to use for a 12-24 hour cold ferment?
« on: April 14, 2022, 05:25:24 AM »
I've been trying to improve, and have been browsing these forums but its a little bit overwhelming. I havent had much luck finding answers to my specific questions, so i'm gonna try to ask a couple here.

Most recipes i've looked at use a 24 hour to 3 day cold ferment, but I'd like to make pizza dough the night before and then cold ferment it for about 12-24 hours (it will probably be about 16 hours or so but im using that range to give me a good window).

I think I know the basics (final dough temperature should be 75-80 degrees and I should divide and bag each dough ball individually and put them in the fridge immediately).

I just want to make pizza at home. I'm not looking to sell them or anything.

What percent of instant yeast should I use for a 12-24 hour cold ferment?

Do the other ingredients determine how much yeast to use or is it mainly just the temperature? I don't really have a specific recipe, but I mainly just want to know how to turn any recipe into a 12-24 hour pizza.

How do you tell when pizza dough is ready to take out of the fridge? Should it be doubled in size?

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: How much yeast to use for a 12-24 hour cold ferment?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 07:57:05 AM »
Your request for a simple overnight dough is easily achieved. Knowing the style of pizza you want will also be beneficiall to get assistance. It would help if you describe any recent method you have tried. Flour types, amounts of dough ingredients you use, and the process you are using to mix them.

Knowing what you are baking in, and whether you have a stone or steel or bake in a pan, etc. is also helpful to get you matched with a good dough at decent hydration for some home bake limitations.
The dough in fridge is usually meant to slow down fermentation, then you remove the dough hours before your desired bake time to allow it to ferment some before attempting to stretch. Conversely, you can allow the balls to ferment at room temp slightly before refrigeration, which will give a head start and let you have less time waiting after removal from fridge in preparation for your bake.  The amount of yeast used can be minimal, or substantial, depending on what you are trying to achieve. More yeast and you will see fermentation in fridge overnight. Too much and you may get overblown dough. Too little, and you will need long room temp after removing from fridge.  There is a predictability guide/chart for yeast amounts/ temps/ time needed here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg393271#msg393271

Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 08:25:09 AM »
I would add: if your dough is capable of doubling in volume while in the refrigerator, it’s almost a certainty that you used too much yeast (much too much).

You are in the right place. Welcome aboard!
-Tony

Offline Pizzafrost98

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 01:24:46 PM »
All of my recent methods have just been recipes I found.

I've tried jim lahey's no knead recipe, peter reinhart's neo neapolitan recipe and his american style recipe.

I don't have a baking stone, so i've been baking them on a pizza crisper pan I have.

I'm not quite sure what style I'd like to make (I'd like to try a few different styles and adjust them to be a 12-24 hour cold ferment).

I think I'm leaning towards either american style or new york style right now though. I want to make one with a chewier bread like crust instead of a thin and crispy pizza.

Thanks for the help.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress