A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough Balls Sticking to Proofing Containers  (Read 449 times)

Offline Carbo

• I Love Pizza!
Dough Balls Sticking to Proofing Containers
« on: April 19, 2022, 01:47:56 PM »
OK, gents, what am I doing wrong?  Making dough balls after a cold ferment.  I then place them in round plastic containers.  Of course, the containers have a light coat of olive oil rubbed on them.  When the ball has proofed and I try to remove it, it's a battle.  The ball sticks to the container.  I also tried a spray on olive on but had the same results.  Any suggestions?
I was thinking maybe I should ditch the containers and go with a quarter sheet pan, sprinkling some flour on the bottom.  But that means plastic wrap is required.  What's a guy to do?

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough Balls Sticking to Proofing Containers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 02:16:01 PM »
Drop a big tablespoon of flower over the top of the ball and do the Hulu shake with the container, while tapping the side, to work the flower down and around the sides. Then invert the bowl and shake the dough ball out into your hand.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 02:16:46 PM »
OK, gents, what am I doing wrong?  Making dough balls after a cold ferment.  I then place them in round plastic containers.  Of course, the containers have a light coat of olive oil rubbed on them.  When the ball has proofed and I try to remove it, it's a battle.  The ball sticks to the container.  I also tried a spray on olive on but had the same results.  Any suggestions?
I was thinking maybe I should ditch the containers and go with a quarter sheet pan, sprinkling some flour on the bottom.  But that means plastic wrap is required.  What's a guy to do?

It ain't all gents here. 
When using containers such as these, I let the dough plop out of the containers onto a floured surface for stretching...letting gravity do the work.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 02:24:00 PM »
I oil the plastic container, oil the dough ball, put a lid on container, and put in fridge for 3 days.
Take it out of fridge, let it rest at RT for 2+ hours, then remove lid, tip over, and it drops right out.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Carbo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 04:22:51 PM »
I oil the plastic container, oil the dough ball, put a lid on container, and put in fridge for 3 days.
Take it out of fridge, let it rest at RT for 2+ hours, then remove lid, tip over, and it drops right out.
  That's exactly what I do, but my balls aren't dropping.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 04:43:13 PM »
Your oiling the sides too I assume.
Actually doesn't just drop right out, but slowly comes out. Hold on an angle so one side can pull away, then is starts to drop.
I have round containers.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 05:55:45 PM »
What's the hydration of your dough? I can't recall ever having a doughball that gravity couldn't beat. Also try different plastic bowl or better yet glass. IKEA has good cheap glass bowls with plastic lids.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 06:43:14 PM »
What's the hydration of your dough? I can't recall ever having a doughball that gravity couldn't beat. Also try different plastic bowl or better yet glass. IKEA has good cheap glass bowls with plastic lids.

Good point.  Glass would be slipperier.

Offline Carbo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 08:57:35 PM »
  Usually 65%.  But I can't help notice that my dough always appears to be much wetter than the dough balls I see in various videos and tutorials.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 01:50:10 PM »
What is your recipe and fermentation schedule?

Next time, take some photos.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 02:05:29 PM »
  Usually 65%.  But I can't help notice that my dough always appears to be much wetter than the dough balls I see in various videos and tutorials.

You may need to knead it more to get rid of stickiness.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 06:47:04 AM »

It ain't all gents here. 
When using containers such as these, I let the dough plop out of the containers onto a floured surface for stretching...letting gravity do the work.
Thank you. This needs to be said, or better, kept in mind more often on this forum. I cringe sometimes when I see this. I was going to reply ‘your first mistake may have been overlooking 50% of the population, more or less.’

Carbo: my guess is that your containers are enabling condensation, making your cold fermented dough balls sticky. Try lightly oiling each one, place each in its container, then leave the lids crooked or not sealed for your first 1 1/2 - 2 hours of refrigerator time. Then close you containers up tightly.
-Tony

Offline tracy

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 10:21:21 AM »
After kneading, I portion my dough, shape them into balls, coat them completely in flour, then dip them in olive oil and rub it around the balls until they are completely oiled.  Only then do I put them into plastic containers for bench proofing and eventual cold fermentation.  I found that if I skipped the flour and only relied on the oil, the dough stuck when trying to remove it from the containers.  For context, I use the 2 qt Cambro hard plastic containers.

Offline Spoon059

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2022, 04:31:36 PM »
I use Rubbermaid containers with a lid. When I take them out of the fridge to warm up to RT, I flip them over on the lid. Even the most stubborn dough ball will drop on the lid. Then it's super easy to flip the lid and drop the perfectly round dough ball into flour for shaping.

Offline bbqnpizza

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2022, 11:26:00 PM »
Hi sorry for the late reply, just adding similar thoughts already shared.
Ditto what Spoon said/does
https://is.gd/xCUfeM

I would be careful about excessive flour, if keeping the container dry then flour works. But if you have a container lightly oiled extra loose flour can get gummy and contribute to the problem.

**Also** after putting dough ball in Rubbermaid container and closing lid, I put up to 4 containers into these Costco Wastebasket bags and try to remove most of air then twist end tight & tie.  Why? Sometimes the lids pop opens and you get a dry shell.
https://is.gd/vGakYE   and put in the fridge until ready to cook.

Like others said gravity works, the process rarely takes more than 1 minute. If still stuck try tapping the upside-down open container on the flour plate or dough board.