A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Subbing salt for flavacol in a DSP dough  (Read 385 times)

Offline PizzaboyTroy

• I Love Pizza!
Subbing salt for flavacol in a DSP dough
« on: October 05, 2022, 11:51:03 AM »
In one of the pizza-focused groups I'm a member of on Facebook, it is a Detroit style pizza-based group. One of the members (his name is Charles; credit to him if he happens to be a PizzaMaking forum member and sees this) posted an interesting recipe for his Detroit style pizza:

King Arthur Bread Flour
15% Semolina
2% IDY
2% Sugar
2% Flavacol
2% Malt

The flavacol (yes -- the popcorn salt!) really shocked me! Instead of salt, he uses it, and in theory it sounds incredibly interesting to me.

Think about it. The buttery flavor from the flavacol inserts itself into the dough.

I'm wondering if anybody else here has tried this? I might give it a go in a couple of weeks because it sounds quite good!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Subbing salt for flavacol in a DSP dough
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 01:33:45 PM »
I would think 1:1
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 05:39:05 PM »
Why not use real butter instead of artificial flavor and food coloring?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 05:47:58 PM »
I have heard of pizzerias that use whirl in their dough (not me!)

Offline PizzaboyTroy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 06:29:23 PM »
Why not use real butter instead of artificial flavor and food coloring?
Yeah. Im more keen on real butter 99 times out of 100, but Id also be a bold-faced liar if I said I wasnt enamored with the artificial deliciousness from flavacol use in movie theater popcorn (a guilty pleasure). That alone makes me want to try it in a DSP at least once.

Offline Caaleb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 01:11:05 AM »
In one of the pizza-focused groups I'm a member of on Facebook, it is a Detroit style pizza-based group. One of the members (his name is Charles; credit to him if he happens to be a PizzaMaking forum member and sees this) posted an interesting recipe for his Detroit style pizza:

King Arthur Bread Flour
15% Semolina
2% IDY
2% Sugar
2% Flavacol
2% Malt

Ivs switched to flavacol for most breads and almost all baked goods. It doesnt make a huge difference but adds a little something something. Especially good for cake and muffins. Get the colorfree flavacol or your dough will be orange. Use it 1:1

The flavacol (yes -- the popcorn salt!) really shocked me! Instead of salt, he uses it, and in theory it sounds incredibly interesting to me.

Think about it. The buttery flavor from the flavacol inserts itself into the dough.

I'm wondering if anybody else here has tried this? I might give it a go in a couple of weeks because it sounds quite good!

Ive switched to flavacol for the last year maybe. I like it better in sweet baked goods, but it works with savory. On a pizza honestly you might not taste it, but i do use it in my ny. Could be placebo, but i think i taste it. 1:1. Get the colorfree or your dough will be orange.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 01:13:46 AM by Caaleb »

wordpress