A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Flour Tortillas  (Read 10746 times)

Offline kdefay

Flour Tortillas
« on: December 24, 2014, 09:46:38 PM »
If anyone enjoys making flour tortillas, I finally got around to making a tortilla dough calculator in Excel last week.  I needed to roll out about 200 tortillas for a party we were having, and I wanted to be sure that every batch of dough I made was the same. 

Here is a link to download the Excel file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-IThoXMPw2XUEZJZUg4WWpGYWM/view?usp=sharing

I have also attached a screen shot so you can see what it looks like.

Anyway, the tortillas turned out great, the party was a big success, and now I finally have the dough calculator that I have been meaning to make for the last few years.

Kirk

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:50:08 PM by kdefay »
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Four Tortillas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »
If anyone enjoys making flour tortillas, I finally got around to making a tortilla dough calculator in Excel last week.  I needed to roll out about 200 tortillas for a party we were having, and I wanted to be sure that every batch of dough I made was the same. 

Here is a link to download the Excel file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-IThoXMPw2XUEZJZUg4WWpGYWM/view?usp=sharing

I have also attached a screen shot so you can see what it looks like.

Anyway, the tortillas turned out great, the party was a big success, and now I finally have the dough calculator that I have been meaning to make for the last few years.

Kirk
Love super thin homemade flour tortillas. Corn are good too but it is rare to see a thin flour one being made/offered,

Do you have a pic Kirk?   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline kdefay

Re: Flour Tortillas
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »
I didn't take any pictures this time. I was too busy drinking beer and eating tacos.  I'll take photos for you the next time I do some.  This formula is super easy to roll out into very thin tortillas (thin enough to see through if that's what you want...).  I've just done it so many times, I never thought about taking pictures when I did it last week. 

If you guys are interested in process, I can do a small batch again soon and document it.  I've literally rolled out thousands of them over the years, so I don't even think about it anymore. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:00:06 PM by kdefay »
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »
I didn't take any pictures this time. I was too busy drinking beer and eating tacos.  I'll take photos for you the next time I do some.  This formula is super easy to roll out into very thin tortillas (thin enough to see through if that's what you want...).  I've just done it so many times, I never thought about taking pictures when I did it last week. 

If you guys are interested in process, I can do a small batch again soon and document it.  I've literally rolled out thousands of them over the years, so I don't even think about it anymore.
That sounds great man....thank you.   No hurry but please post it here when you get around to it so I'll be auto alerted.

Thanks again....Merry Christmas!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 03:02:13 PM »
Kirk,

Maybe you are already aware of this, but you can also use the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded-calculator.html to make tortilla dough (and also bread doughs, naan doughs, etc.). However, I realize that it sometimes convenient to have a specialized single-purpose tool.

Peter

Edited to correct the link to the expanded dough calculating tool.

Offline kdefay

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 09:19:55 PM »
Kirk,

Maybe you are already aware of this, but you can also use the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded-calculator.htm  to make tortilla dough (and also bread doughs, naan doughs, etc.). However, I realize that it sometimes convenient to have a specialized single-purpose tool.

Peter

Merry Christmas, Peter!

Can you update the link you posted to the expanded dough calculator?  It doesn't work because it should be ".html" and not ".htm".   That is a great resource if you already know the baker's percents for your dough formula, but I have never seen anyone on the internet share a tortilla dough recipe in baker's percents before.  I took the time to convert it to percents, and in doing so ended up with the spreadsheet that I shared.  Honestly, I completely forgot about the expanded dough calculator, but I think I would have made the Excel sheet anyway as I enjoy the challenge to making them.

I think I had a 7" tortilla dough ball at 40g, but it really depends upon the thickness desired.  For this session, I was not trying to make them really thin. I think to get them as thin as Bob wants, the weight should be closer to 30-32g.  I've done them as low as low as 27g and rolled them out thin enough to see through.

Kirk
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:07:02 PM by kdefay »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 10:26:48 PM »
Kirk,

I hope you had a good day also.

Sorry about the incomplete link to the expanded dough calculating tool. I was using my iPad and somehow messed up the link. This is the correct link:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded-calculator.html

I will correct the link in my last post.

Peter

Offline petef

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 02:18:57 AM »
kdefay, I love to see some pics on your "rolling out" process. I recently started making my own flour Tortillas at home using a 10 inch diameter cast iron fry pan and a 8" cast iron tortilla press.

Unfortunately, the 8" press does not make them large enough or thin enough for my liking. I'd prefer a tortilla as large as possible to fit my 10" fry pan. I've tried pressing to 8" diameter and then rolling them out to close to 10" diameter, but it seems like an inefficient method. I like a very thin tortilla and it's not easy to handle while getting it to the fry pan. That's why I like to see your methods.

---pete---

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 01:31:21 PM »
I need a tortilla press
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »
I need to know how they make those tacos in those taco trucks. Man are they good.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »
I need to know how they make those tacos in those taco trucks. Man are they good.

All about the sauce
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 09:56:38 PM »
All about the sauce
  +1   Cheap cubed meat and a good marinade/sauce....you can figure out the chopped onion and cilantro part, right?  :)

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 12:54:23 PM »
  +1   Cheap cubed meat and a good marinade/sauce....you can figure out the chopped onion and cilantro part, right?  :)

The cilantro and onion is easy, what are the other spices and chilis that are used.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »
The cilantro and onion is easy, what are the other spices and chilis that are used.
I think the secret to the joints that sell "the good stuff" is that these places take the time to work with dried chilies. They use it in their marinades/rubs and in some of their salsa too.
All those celophane packs full of different dried chilies in the Mexican section at the grocery store are there for a reason...that's flavor town man, follow someone home that puts a few of those packs in their cart and watch them cook!  ;D

Or, try this.....forget the part that they are using beef tenderloin  :-\ (or don't forget that part :drool:)
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1985-07-21/features/8502170412_1_chiles-beef-tenderloin-roast-mexican

Here is more marinade techniques...https://www.google.com/search?q=marinade+for+taco+meat&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=mexican+marinated+meat

Here's some salsa's from a good site....
http://www.redsalsagreensalsa.com/

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 04:11:16 PM »

There is plenty of good, inexpensive cuts of pork, but you might be surprised when it comes to beef; there is only so much you can do with cheap/the wrong cuts. All the taco trucks and hole in the wall places I go use good beef.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 04:12:32 PM »
All about the sauce

A good taco is good without sauce. The right sauce just makes it better.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »
There is plenty of good, inexpensive cuts of pork, but you might be surprised when it comes to beef; there is only so much you can do with cheap/the wrong cuts. All the taco trucks and hole in the wall places I go use good beef.
You're right...flap an flank don't come cheap these days. Chix still real reasonable thankfully, unless you want wings.  >:(

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 08:31:15 PM »
The cheapest, wrongest cut of beef I can find makes the tacos I love the most - beef cheeks (a.k.a. cachetes, a.k.a. cabeza). Runner up: beef tongue (lengua). But not on flour tortillas. With flour tortillas they become burritos, not tacos. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
The cheapest, wrongest cut of beef I can find makes the tacos I love the most - beef cheeks (a.k.a. cachetes, a.k.a. cabeza). Runner up: beef tongue (lengua). But not on flour tortillas. With flour tortillas they become burritos, not tacos.

Those are both expectation-driven cuts of meat. I agree they both (can) make great tacos, but you need to expect the taco you are going to get.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 09:15:51 PM »
Those are both expectation-driven cuts of meat. I agree they both (can) make great tacos, but you need to expect the taco you are going to get.

So I ate tacos on the streets and in little stands in Mexico City for several years before I learned my favorite tacos were made with cheek meat (and who knows what else?). My only expectation was that I could be spending all night in the bathroom. 

wordpress