A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tips for making great Tortilla?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
Re: Tips for making great Tortilla?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2021, 05:22:34 PM »
Thanks Dave!  I was using Carbon-Off and it didn't cut it.  Now on the 3rd application of Easy Off, it looks like I can use the skillet again.  After talking with more people, I think I misjudged the baking time perhaps?  I was thinking that the corn tortilla would cook like a pita bread, but my friend informed me today that is not the case.  He said how you can get leoprading, but that it won't incinerate like a pita would and that it takes a lot longer than the 90 seconds I was giving it.  Sometimes it is hard to do something right the first time without a teacher!  This board and friends are so appreciated.  :)
All the best, Dave

Offline loch

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 08:45:40 AM »
Dave, there are probably dozens of methods out there for "perfect" corn tortillas. If you find one that works for you, stick with it. I saw a video from Rick Bayless using two different heat settings. Interesting but I stuck with what worked for me.
https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/corn-tortillas/

Just for comparison, my dry, well seasoned iron griddle is at 500 F and I cook first side 30 seconds (it will stick at first but then release). Then flip and cook second side 1 minute. Flip and cook first side another 30 seconds and done.

You mentioned pitas. I also cook mine on a stovetop griddle at 450 F. They take about 3 minutes with flipping.

In any case, your friends and experience will get you to a good result.

Dave

Pita on the griddle.
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 09:30:25 PM »
Just a follow up to help someone in the future.  I switched to a very well seasoned cast iron skillet (from my GrandMa) and with it being black, the IR gun worked perfectly.  I kept the temps between 360 degF and 380 degF and the tortillas cooked perfectly!  My previous problem was operator error, using the big kahuna burner on the stove with no temperature control.  :-[
All the best, Dave

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress