A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tips for making great Tortilla?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
Tips for making great Tortilla?
« on: October 06, 2020, 04:25:39 PM »
From what I've read: 

Do you add in the fat before or after the water?

Is baking soda needed to leaven it?

Since it doesn't have yeast, are there any differences in the kneading or how you would let it rest/autolyse? 

How long can tortilla dough be stored in refridgerator before it's no good?

Offline PizzaEater101

Re: Tips for making great Tortilla?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 04:43:49 PM »
From what I've read: 

Do you add in the fat before or after the water?

Is baking soda needed to leaven it?

Since it doesn't have yeast, are there any differences in the kneading or how you would let it rest/autolyse? 

How long can tortilla dough be stored in refridgerator before it's no good?

Talking flour, not corn?

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 06:14:03 PM »
flour (wheat).

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 06:32:20 PM »
Sorry I am of no use.  I have made tamales and I have made corn tortillas but not wheat.

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 06:46:45 PM »
whats your tips for corn tortillas?

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 06:47:04 PM »
Don't know if this will answer all your questions, but this is the recipe my wife has been using for over 40 years.
Only difference is, she uses Olive Oil instead of vegetable oil.
She got it from a Mexican Lady neighbor/friend of ours.
I'm sure there are many recipes out there.

FLOUR TORTILLAS RECIPE
Flour tortillas made a late appearance on the Mexican table and became the bread staple in the northern states only. They are traditionally made with lard but for health reasons, tortilla factories and chefs have switched to vegetable shortening or vegetable oil.

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil or shortening
1 cup warm water but not boiling

Combine the flour, salt, and shortening in a large bowl and mix together until crumbly, as for pie dough. Add water and mix until you can gather the dough into a ball. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.

To form the flour tortillas, divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion between the palms of your hands to make a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into an 8 inch circle. Layer the circles between sheets of plastic wrap as you go.

To cook the flour tortillas, heat a heavy skillet, griddle or comal over high heat until beginning to smoke. Place a tortilla in the pan and cook for 30 seconds. Turn and cook on the other side until slightly puffed and speckled brown on the underside but still soft enough to fold, about 30 seconds. Remove and continue until all the flour tortillas are cooked, stacking them as you go. Serve right away or cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 07:52:45 PM »
Here's a tortilla thread you might want to peruse:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35709.0
Carl

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 08:53:04 PM »
whats your tips for corn tortillas?

Sorry to say I just bought the masa or corn dough already made from the Mexican store.  I think I may have bought the corn meal called Masa Harina where you add water but it didn't taste as good as buying the masa already at the store.  The one at the store is literally ground corn kernels that is soaked in water and and lime to soften it for grinding.  The process is called Nixtamalization. Fresh masa comes prepared or not prepared.  Prepared has salt, baking powder, and oil in it and you just make the tamale from it.  If it isn't prepared you just add oil, salt and baking powder.

I will post a pic of the masa herina bag and also fresh masa.  I have made tamales also from fresh masa but I never had great results so if I want tamales I just buy them already made. 

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 08:59:37 PM »
Maybe off topic but related I made red tacos and taquitos.  I didn't make the tortillas to make these BUT I saw red corn tortillas for sale and I had a bright idea to make tacos and taquitos out of them.  Also made chips but didn't take a picture.  These turned out great.  Tasted great.  The color looked cool but has no influence on the taste.  How are they red?  Dye them with red dye? 

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 01:23:00 AM »
Corn tortillas are pretty simple. I use Organic Masa Harina, equal weights water & Masa. So 120 g of each for example and salt to taste, maybe 1/2 - 1 tsp. Mix it up well, let it sit to absorb the water, portion it out into balls (60-70g works for me). You might need to add or use slightly less water depending on the type of Masa you get. The use a tortilla press or rolling pin to flatten.

Finally a hot griddle or in my case I've moved on to using the broiler and put three in a pan and broil 60 seconds or so on each side.

Done . . . it's the only corn torillas I will eat. The pre-made store bought ones taste like wet dish towels to me and only on rare occasions are the restaurant ones better.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 09:38:28 AM »
One really needs lard to get that porky, shiny super thin tortilla

Sonoran Style Tortillas de Harina
1 pound all-purpose flour or about 4 cups, plus more to roll out tortillas
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
2/3 cup lard or vegetable shortening
1 cup lukewarm water

- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and lard with your hands, slowly incorporate the lukewarm water and mix until it can come together into a ball. Transfer to the counter and knead for about 2 to 4 minutes, until it is smooth like play dough.
- Divide the dough into halves until you have 16 balls of dough. Place them on a floured sheet or board, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let them rest for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Heat your comal, plancha or ungreased cast iron or non-stick skillet over low heat. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball with a floured rolling pin, rotating 5 or 6 times until you get a 7-8 round.
- Place the tortilla on the already heated comal or skillet. You will hear a faint sizzle. After 40 to 50 seconds, when there are brown freckles on the bottom side and there are air bubbles puffed up all over the tortilla, flip over.
- Cook for 40 to 50 seconds more, until the other side is freckled and the tortilla puffs up even more, like pita bread.
Practice makes pizza

Offline bethj

• Pizza! Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 11:01:19 AM »
You can add baking powder to flour tortillas, but it will change the texture.  Try it both with and without, and see what you prefer.

I like this one:  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019621-sonoran-style-flour-tortillas

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 06:52:29 PM »
Well gents, I might need a little help...  Made the best corn tortillas ever tonight along with refried beans and home made guac.  Shreaded chicken with my own seasoning... (probably acquired from this board!)  They had a nice crispy edge and were sprinkled with small black spots the size of a match head, also around the edge and a few in the middle.  I cooked about 60 to 90 seconds a side.

Now my problem tonight.  Electric range.  I did them in a commercial, heavy bottom stainless fry pan and used avocado oil on an open element.  I first set off the kitchen area fire alarm from the smoke.   Took it out to the garage and kept preparing them... then the loft alarm went off, and that set off all the other ones!

My pan looks like I boiled engine drain oil in it for a year, and it is soaking in the sink overnight.  Could you spare the ol' guy a few tips on temperature and such?  I think I was putting rum in my fruitcake during that lesson!  :P

...PS just ran the whole house exhaust fan again for 10 minutes... and its 15 degrees outside... :-D
All the best, Dave

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 10:51:02 PM »
Rendered brisket fat and duck fat both make some pretty tasty tortillas too.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 10:10:15 AM »
Well gents, I might need a little help...  Made the best corn tortillas ever tonight along with refried beans and home made guac.  Shreaded chicken with my own seasoning... (probably acquired from this board!)  They had a nice crispy edge and were sprinkled with small black spots the size of a match head, also around the edge and a few in the middle.  I cooked about 60 to 90 seconds a side.

Now my problem tonight.  Electric range.  I did them in a commercial, heavy bottom stainless fry pan and used avocado oil on an open element.  I first set off the kitchen area fire alarm from the smoke.   Took it out to the garage and kept preparing them... then the loft alarm went off, and that set off all the other ones!

My pan looks like I boiled engine drain oil in it for a year, and it is soaking in the sink overnight.  Could you spare the ol' guy a few tips on temperature and such?  I think I was putting rum in my fruitcake during that lesson!  :P

...PS just ran the whole house exhaust fan again for 10 minutes... and its 15 degrees outside... :-D

How hot was your pan?
According to AllRecipes, Avocado Oil has a smoke point of 520f.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline loch

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 11:11:26 AM »
Love corn tortillas. I use 11.25 oz of Maseca brand with 16 oz of hot water. Let it rest for 1/2 hour, divide into 12 portions, press out and cook on a 500 griddle.

You want them to puff so they'll be tender. Shot of the "public" and "private" side as Julia Child used to say.

Dave

"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 06:15:44 PM »
How hot was your pan?
According to AllRecipes, Avocado Oil has a smoke point of 520f.
I should have shot it with the IR gun (stupid me)... I had to have been over the smoke point, but the tortilla's were not burning fast, in fact it seemed to me that they wanted more heat.  I tried washing, soaking overnight, then boiling water in the pan to get the carbon off... to no avail.  It is sitting in the garage now with a bath of commercial cookware carbon remover... so the evidence says it was very hot.

Thanks Dave, I'll shoot for 500 degF when I do them again and have the IR gun handy. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 06:42:07 PM by bigMoose »
All the best, Dave

Offline loch

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 08:39:04 AM »
I should have shot it with the IR gun (stupid me)... I had to have been over the smoke point, but the tortilla's were not burning fast, in fact it seemed to me that they wanted more heat.  I tried washing, soaking overnight, then boiling water in the pan to get the carbon off... to no avail.  It is sitting in the garage now with a bath of commercial cookware carbon remover... so the evidence says it was very hot.

Thanks Dave, I'll shoot for 500 degF when I do them again and have the IR gun handy.

Any chance that you can use a cast iron pan or griddle? Usually they are done on a well seasoned griddle with no oil. Don't use a non-stick pan, the temperature is too high for them.

Dave

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 09:57:53 AM »
Thanks Dave, great tip.  I do have my GrandMothers Cast iron skillet.  Will use it next time and keep it around 500 degF!  Haha my commercial carbon cleaner didn't cut the crud... going to try wife's easy off today.  Thankfully I was smart enough to leave the nonstick skillet in the cupboard. 
All the best, Dave

Offline loch

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »
Dave, I hate to see you give up on a good stainless pan. I've been using Bar Keeper's Friend for many years on my stainless pans.
https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

You can get it at most hardware stores or even Safeway/Walmart. I'd try soaking the pan with it then use a non-scratch blue Scotch Brite type pad to work on it. May take a few tries but work at it slowly. You don't want to put scratches in stainless if you can avoid it. Good Luck!

Dave