A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Is a poolish redundent if you do a cold ferment?  (Read 775 times)

Offline Doughboy20

Is a poolish redundent if you do a cold ferment?
« on: March 24, 2021, 05:17:18 AM »
I like the cold ferment method for pizza dough, on the 3 day plan, I think it develops good flavor and lots of micro bubbles.  Usually I just mix and bulk ferment. What would happen if I start with a 12hr polish in the fridg, then made the dough using the poolish fallowed by a long cold ferment.  I's it over kill?  Would it make a difference?  My thought is by doing so I could use the smallest amount of yeast letting the preferment do all the work.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Is a poolish redundent if you do a cold ferment?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 06:52:53 AM »
Why not just try it?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:23:51 AM »
Poolish and Biga build up different flavors from each other, and a different flavor than cold fermenting a direct dough for a long time.  You might not get "more" flavor, but you will get a different flavor.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 09:02:44 AM »
And shouldn't the poolish be done at room temp?  I'm not sure there's much to gain with 12 hour poolish in the fridge.

Offline Doughboy20

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 11:06:33 PM »
Well, yes, I am in the process of trying this.  Just balled the dough and now in ferment stage.  Looks good so far.  The only thing is when I weighted the dough balls, they came out less weight than I calculated.  I tried cheeking my math, cant find the problem.  Maybe the weight loss is due to water evaporation?    They went from a planned 250g to 230g. 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T