A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Rolls  (Read 336 times)

Offline Lisa

• I Love Pizza!
Rolls
« on: April 03, 2021, 06:49:05 AM »
Hello everyone hope you are all having a great weekend.

Does it matter too much if when you roll up your dough it doesn't quite remain in a neat ball after a duration?

I have proofed my dough for close to twenty four hours and it had the appearance of thick porridge when I turned it out to roll into balls. It was sticky but I eventually managed to get the shape right before I put it in the fridge for maybe the next six hours before cooking tonight.

I have just checked on them after maybe 90 minutes in the fridge and they are starting to flatten out. Is this normal?

Thank you

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: Rolls
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 07:27:06 AM »
Hello everyone hope you are all having a great weekend.

Does it matter too much if when you roll up your dough it doesn't quite remain in a neat ball after a duration?

I have proofed my dough for close to twenty four hours and it had the appearance of thick porridge when I turned it out to roll into balls. It was sticky but I eventually managed to get the shape right before I put it in the fridge for maybe the next six hours before cooking tonight.

I have just checked on them after maybe 90 minutes in the fridge and they are starting to flatten out. Is this normal?

Thank you
Hi Lisa,
Yes, it is normal for some doughs to flatten out quite a bit, especially when the hydration of the dough is higher. Are you seeing bubbles/ fermentation happening at any time during the process?  Did you proof at room temp for 24 hours before putting in fridge?  Which formula workflow are you using?  It is very difficult to guide you when there are limited details.  Take pictures if you can.  We want you to succeed!
Reesa

Offline Lisa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 08:38:24 AM »
Hi Lisa,
Yes, it is normal for some doughs to flatten out quite a bit, especially when the hydration of the dough is higher. Are you seeing bubbles/ fermentation happening at any time during the process?  Did you proof at room temp for 24 hours before putting in fridge?  Which formula workflow are you using?  It is very difficult to guide you when there are limited details.  Take pictures if you can.  We want you to succeed!

Thank you Texmex.

Yes I proofed the dough for twenty four hours room temperature although obviously that temperature drops at night time especially here in England where it never really gets that warm anyway. I then rolled it up and put it straight into the fridge. I am making three pizzas tonight and trying out different flours as a kind of experiment.

I did notice my yeast mix blooming slightly when it was in the water so I know it is alive and I used a tiny amount.

I am not really sure what workflow means does it mean the method of operations from start to finish?

I will definitely start to post pics but I really want to have something worthwhile to show :)

Thank you again for your time. 

Offline ARenko

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 08:50:20 AM »
Thank you Texmex.

I am not really sure what workflow means does it mean the method of operations from start to finish?

I will definitely start to post pics but I really want to have something worthwhile to show :)

It helps to have your recipe (preferably in bakers %) and all the steps from start to finish (workflow).

Photos (even if you think them not worthwhile) help others to diagnose your problem or even tell you it looks perfectly normal and ease your concerns.

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 12:03:23 PM »
Yes, just think of it in the terms of your very pointed and specific queries posed to us recently. 

In order to know what you're attempting to accomplish, we have the same need for concise information or we are merely throwing thoughts at the wall, hoping one might stick.  Vagueness will get you very little in return.

At the moment we only know you made some dough over 24 hours ago and you don't know if it looks right. How does any one of us know with this lack of info?
Reesa

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress