Pages:
Actions
  • #241 by waltertore on 04 May 2022
  • PMQ was kind enough to give us a plug in the May issue. We have no budget to advertise like Llyods and Winco so this endeavor is like our pizzeria - grass roots,word of mouth, organic, growth :)  PMQ has been a supporter of mine from when I was teaching special education at Newark High School 16 years ago and running the Smiling with Hope Bakery.  Hope everyone who purchased a pan is enjoying it.  Walter

https://www.pmq.com/walters-kids-teaching-real-world-pizzeria-skills-to-special-needs-youths/
  • #242 by Georgev on 05 May 2022
  • George: I am glad you like the pan.  The pie looks great  What is the name of your shop and where is it located?  What oven do you have?  I think the 12x12 as a whole pie sale could be the next hip thing in pizza :)  They go as fast as we make them here at our shop.  Keep me updated.  Walter
    Walter: itís called riverside pizza in town called manayunk right in Philadelphia. Cooking in a pizzamaster over. I have been going back and forth with square pies and what size to go with and this so perfect because we sell small pies in a 12 inch box and a 19oz dough ball from our 16inch round works perfect in this. So I really donít have to really do anything different other then a workflow change of letting them proof for an hour or so before a bake.
  • #243 by waltertore on 05 May 2022
  • Walter: itís called riverside pizza in town called manayunk right in Philadelphia. Cooking in a pizzamaster over. I have been going back and forth with square pies and what size to go with and this so perfect because we sell small pies in a 12 inch box and a 19oz dough ball from our 16inch round works perfect in this. So I really donít have to really do anything different other then a workflow change of letting them proof for an hour or so before a bake.

Thanks for that info.  I looked up your shop. You have quite a menu :)  We also use our NY doughball for the Sicilians. 
  • #244 by TXCraig1 on 07 May 2022
  • You have quite a menu :) 

Wow, you weren't kidding. I think I counted 137 items on the menu before I got to the pizza   :o

Georgev - just curious - what % of your are actually pizza?
  • #245 by PizzAaron on 07 May 2022
  • I gave up on 12x18 faster than lightning after seeing so many pics of beauty Sicilians...

excited to break this pan in!!  Now to go back and read 13 pages of juicy info... :)
  • #246 by waltertore on 07 May 2022
  • I gave up on 12x18 faster than lightning after seeing so many pics of beauty Sicilians...

excited to break this pan in!!  Now to go back and read 13 pages of juicy info... :)

I think you will like the pan and look forward to seeing your bakes.  Walter
  • #247 by Georgev on 10 May 2022
  • Wow, you weren't kidding. I think I counted 137 items on the menu before I got to the pizza   :o

Georgev - just curious - what % of your are actually pizza?
    We started off as a typical Greek pizzeria in the early 90s. Back then in the Philly area Greeks had everything from seafood to pasta on the menu. We cut a lot back and I still have some more to do. But basically pizza is at 55% salads wraps steak sandwiches are around 25% and the rest is fried foods. Our lunch is 75% salads wraps sandwiches and fried items. Then itís flips for dinner where itís mostly pizza.
  • #248 by gdepozsgay on 10 May 2022
  • Took the plunge and ordered 2. Now the wait and seasoning before use.
  • #249 by waltertore on 10 May 2022
  • Took the plunge and ordered 2. Now the wait and seasoning before use.

Thanks!  We shipped them today and look forward to seeing what you think.  Walter
  • #250 by FrozenPizza on 12 May 2022
  • Any chance you would ship to Canada?
  • #251 by waltertore on 12 May 2022

How many pans would you want and where to in Canada.  Thanks.  Walter
  • #252 by PizzAaron on 12 May 2022
  • I think you will like the pan and look forward to seeing your bakes.  Walter
    it's a beauty... as a craftsman it's just nice to look at.  but that's not stopping the poolish I got goin for a dough ;)  time to season.
  • #253 by waltertore on 12 May 2022

I shipped pans today and asked at the PO about mailing to Canada.  There are lots of restrictions since COVID and for 2 pans it is almost $60 :o
  • #254 by waltertore on 12 May 2022
  • it's a beauty... as a craftsman it's just nice to look at.  but that's not stopping the poolish I got goin for a dough ;)  time to season.

Glad you like the pan!  Yes, compared to the winco, lloyds pans, it is quite a shock.   I look forward to seeing your pies :)
  • #255 by FrozenPizza on 13 May 2022
  • I shipped pans today and asked at the PO about mailing to Canada.  There are lots of restrictions since COVID and for 2 pans it is almost $60 :o

Thanks for checking! This is indeed too much for me. If you find a cheaper alternative (~$20) please do advise.
  • #256 by PizzAaron on 13 May 2022
  • Walter, what do you think about: oven rack as low as possible, with baking steel and then pan on the steel?  I saw your video about cooking on the oven floor, this oven has the electric elements exposed but I can get the rack real low and I have a baking steel... or would that be overkill or would it actually be advised?
  • #257 by waltertore on 13 May 2022
  • Walter, what do you think about: oven rack as low as possible, with baking steel and then pan on the steel?  I saw your video about cooking on the oven floor, this oven has the electric elements exposed but I can get the rack real low and I have a baking steel... or would that be overkill or would it actually be advised?

That was the first time I did any kind of pizza in our home oven.  I don't have a stone or steel at home.  Best to ask others here as they are expert on the art of the home oven.
  • #258 by gdepozsgay on 13 May 2022
  • My par bake dough won't be ready until tomorrow so I put the pan to work on some duck cracklings bisquits. First bake performed well with just a few minor spots sticking. Scraped clean with plastic bench knife and readiy for tomorrow.
  • #259 by Whisky on 14 May 2022
  • First attempt at grandma style.
    First use with Walter's pan.
    500g dough.
    11 min cook in Breville Smart Oven Air Pro, on a stone, with a temp of 490-500.
    It was pretty good. Got really orange from the stick of Vermont pepperoni though.
  • #260 by PizzAaron on 16 May 2022
  • Here she is.... what a beauty - oh my...

I did 3 very light seasonings on top and 2 on bottom...

This was very first parbake, then bake... full underside shot is after parbake.. 14-min, shelf 1 from bottom with baking steel - 450 deg.

Then let it rest 30-min and did another 13-min bake, shelf lower middle with steel again at 450...

I used Tony G's Sicilian with Poolish recipe at 664g (I didnt weigh it but recipe adds up).. came out absolutely insane..

Pages:
Actions