A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY Pizzeria Suprema NYC  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Pizza_reviews_on_the_go

• I Love Pizza!
NY Pizzeria Suprema NYC
« on: December 25, 2021, 12:51:00 AM »
Great pizza, one of those top places for a classic gas fired cheese pizza and more. Their upside down Sicilian is also great but I only reviewed their Margherita style in this video. Better flavor than the Nonna Maria at Bleecker street pizza but not as good as Brooklyn Pizza Masters Margherita IMO.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 12:53:05 AM by Pizza_reviews_on_the_go »

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: NY Pizzeria Suprema NYC
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 06:27:54 PM »
Great video. I can remember a few forum members listing this place as one of their favorites in NYC. I hope they see this post.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 08:34:44 PM »
Great video. I can remember a few forum members listing this place as one of their favorites in NYC. I hope they see this post.

I'm one who posted about Suprema a bunch. Never had their Margherita, but I like their plain slice. It's very romano heavy, and the video shows it really well at 30 seconds in. Wow, it's a ton of romano. What I don't think I had seen before is the sprinkle of herbs that went on just before the Romano.

PROTG, do you know what type of pizza was being prepped at 30 seconds into the video? Did it get any toppings, or was it a plain cheese? Thanks for posting, seeing the shots pre-bake are great for learning.

Matt

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 09:17:24 PM »
I'm one who posted about Suprema a bunch.
I remember seeing others name it in their top 10 or top 5 lists of favorite NYC pizzerias, too. I can't remember the name of the thread now.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 10:41:39 PM »
I remember seeing others name it in their top 10 or top 5 lists of favorite NYC pizzerias, too. I can't remember the name of the thread now.

Well, there's the thread that's stickied at the top of this board  ;)

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=51997.0

Matt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 11:36:47 PM »

I have a feeling I will be returning here sooner than later.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 11:38:25 PM »
I'm one who posted about Suprema a bunch. Never had their Margherita, but I like their plain slice. It's very romano heavy, and the video shows it really well at 30 seconds in. Wow, it's a ton of romano. What I don't think I had seen before is the sprinkle of herbs that went on just before the Romano.

PROTG, do you know what type of pizza was being prepped at 30 seconds into the video? Did it get any toppings, or was it a plain cheese? Thanks for posting, seeing the shots pre-bake are great for learning.

The pie went in plain. The Margherita was also generously dusted with Pec. Sauce was superb on the Margh.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 09:33:58 AM »
Thatís was great, and the theme music was a perfect match. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 09:15:26 PM »
this used to be on of favorite pizza joints but I haven't liked it quite as much the last couple of times. maybe it's my imagination, but prices seem to have gone up and quality down since the guy at slice harvester picked it as best in nyc. I think Lou once said it has the best grandma slice in nyc, maybe he'll weigh in on recent slices.

my specific complaints for the plain slice have to do with too much bench flour on the bottom of the slice, I had to ask for extra time in the oven and the crust a little soggy.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 09:16:57 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 10:27:07 AM »
Thatís was great, and the theme music was a perfect match.
I think he's got easily the best pizza review channel on YT. Puts the guy from Boston to shame IMO.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 02:57:38 AM »
I recommend watching this, passionate owner.

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »
Good video!

Iím one of the guys who puts Suprema up there as one of my favorites if not favorite in the entire city. Itís all personal preference, and I havenít been there in some time but I canít go in there and only get two slices. I always get up for a third. I discovered it when I was like 19 or 20, working a job standing in front of MSG handing out flyers, someone I worked with told me to go there and I instantly fell in love. Then Slice Harvester gave it a perfect score and I knew I wasnít crazy, haha. Itís one of those slices that even when itís inconsistent itís still great. If itís a bit floppier than usual itís still delicious. But when you get that perfect marriage of crispy and chewy slice itís like heaven to me. I gotta get back up there soon.

Offline bertanderny

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 11:41:20 AM »
Anyone figure out what they're doing for the sauce?

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 05:49:57 PM »

I peeked in the storeroom and saw nothing but Saporito.
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 05:18:05 PM »
Yes. I found the pictures below a while ago. Saporito filetto. And in the back is Bonta, but can't say whether it's included in their main sauce.

Key flavor to me is romano. Look at the video posted above at how much they use. Also, some people say they find the pizza too sweet, so likely a good amount of sugar in the sauce (though I was never bothered by sweetness in their slice).
Matt

Offline politon

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 12:48:19 AM »

Looks like Saporito filetto di pomodoro:
https://www.scottspizzatours.com/blog/inside-ny-pizza-suprema/

Apparently they have 3 sauces:
https://yourbrooklynguide.com/best-pizza-in-manhattan/
"A unique facet of NY Pizza Supremaís menu is their use of three distinct tomato sauces: one for their regular cheese pizza, one for their Marinara and Upside Down Pizza (which consists of Grande Mozzarella, deep-dish square crust, mozzarella, homemade cooked onion based sauce, finished with imported Pecorino Romano cheese and imported EVOO from Italy with a tossing of fresh basil), and one for their fresh Mozzarella (also homemade!) and basil pie."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 12:53:41 AM by politon »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 12:59:53 PM »

https://www.scottspizzatours.com/blog/inside-ny-pizza-suprema/

Wow!! I hadn't seen that before. It's a must read for anyone who cares about NY slices. A ton of info, including dough formula.

Matt

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 01:25:51 PM »
Interestingly, their dough formulation is almost exactly what I've using for my Camarillo bar pies.  Their pizza must be great  ;D
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline politon

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 03:16:40 AM »
Wow!! I hadn't seen that before. It's a must read for anyone who cares about NY slices. A ton of info, including dough formula.

The conversions of Joe Riggio's volume measurements provided by Scott's Pizza Tours are not entirely accurate. I posted a corrected formula in Reply #8 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25118.msg695290#msg695290

Offline SHB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 01:54:16 PM »
this used to be on of favorite pizza joints but I haven't liked it quite as much the last couple of times. maybe it's my imagination, but prices seem to have gone up and quality down since the guy at slice harvester picked it as best in nyc. I think Lou once said it has the best grandma slice in nyc, maybe he'll weigh in on recent slices.

my specific complaints for the plain slice have to do with too much bench flour on the bottom of the slice, I had to ask for extra time in the oven and the crust a little soggy.

I hope you get notified on this quote but have you been since the pandemic? Suprema was/is one of my favorite slices. I've been going there for over a decade and I can 100% agree with you, for a time suprema was slowly losing its "stuff" but since the pandemic they have really come back to their old glory in a very noticeable way.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:55:47 PM by SHB »

wordpress