A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: IDY storage in RT over 10-15 weeks?  (Read 265 times)

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
IDY storage in RT over 10-15 weeks?
« on: January 12, 2022, 12:18:31 PM »
I tried searching, but didnít find exactly what I was looking for.

I buy IDY in packs with small bags which contain 13g per bag. How long it takes to empty one depends on if we make other stuff, but maximum is typically 10-15 weeks after opening.

So far Iíve been storing it in the fridge after opening, taking what I need and putting it back in the fridge. Then I came across a post by Tom or someone recommending to let the bag sit in RT a day before opening, then replacing in the fridge, to avoid condensation. This works I suppose, but itís too easy to forget taking it out, and sometimes I want to make something spontaneously. Is the full day necessary for such a small bag?

Is storing in RT and alternative or will that cause it to decline faster? Iím always talking about a bag thatís been opened, air pressed out and tied with a rubber band.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: IDY storage in RT over 10-15 weeks?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 12:25:44 PM »
I've always kept mine in the freezer in an air-tight container.
Remove from freezer, take out what I want, and put back in freezer.  It probably sits on counter 5-10 minutes before opening.
Can't imaging a little moisture causing any problems since you are dumping water on it anyway.
But what do I know...   ::)

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 12:55:30 PM »
Mine always come straight out of the refrigerator, into the mix. I get a new bag of SAF Red every year.
Instagram @hans_michigan. The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings. -Brian Spangler

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 03:55:10 PM »
I keep an amount (ady) in a small masson type jar in the fridge, take out & weight what I need just previous to the mix, get the lid back on right away and put the jar back in the fridge. The rest goes into the freezer.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress