A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: beddia pizza  (Read 430 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
beddia pizza
« on: March 13, 2022, 10:14:42 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Beddia's book Pizza Camp for his topping recipes so was just thrilled to walk into his pizzeria tonight with my wife and nephew. We started with two incredibly delicious salads and then shared a pepperoni pizza and a pie with greens and calabrian cream. I've made the the Calabrian cream pizza many times, one of our favorites, here's an example:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45793.msg531120#msg531120

The ingredients used in the pizza were fantastic, the red sauce on the pepperoni really stood out, the mozz was fantastic and I believe they finish with a delicious gouda. The clalabrian cream pie was lighter than the one I make, lesson learned is to go lighter on applying the cream. they get a beautiful char on the greens.

Unfortunately, while the bake on the top of the pie was perfect (I don't mind blisters), the bottom crust on both pies was tough and the red pie had something approaching a gum line. Maybe it has to do with ordering when they were cranking out a ton of pies but, in the end, given my high expectations, I was so disappointed  :(

best,

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 10:55:59 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
Re: beddia pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 11:04:59 PM »
lou, I was a little surprised by the screen marks on the bottom. Still, I've had plenty of pizza in nyc cooked on screens that weren't tough. why do you think the screen was the culprit as opposed to a lack of bottom heat?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 11:06:55 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 11:21:49 PM »
thanks lou, really interesting analysis! i wonder if he was baking on screens in the old place.
jeff

Offline jim s

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 11:20:33 AM »
The main dough/pie maker at Shackamaxon moved to California, I haven't been since the change.
I'll have to go a couple times to evaluate the difference.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 11:28:00 AM »
I think most people focus on the great ingredients, innovative toppings and beautiful looking bake. It is a fun, energetic restaurant, full of young people enjoying themselves.

To my eye, Philadelphia has become an interesting food city, we may give beddia another try but there are about 20 places, pizza and non-pizza, that I'd want to try first.

as always, really appreciate your insight lou!

jeff

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 11:57:36 PM »
Which brings pro-to-amateur request for Lou...I've never done that transfer but to.me it does seem daunting..any hints for success?

wordpress