Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by roumin on 14 May 2022
  • How can I achieve open airy crumb without bulk fermentation or re-balling.  I like the simplicity of balling right after mixing, but I don't get open airy crumb although my dough (KABF+64% hydration) is property fermented, and my balls have doubled in size.  I get open crumb with same formula when I mix, bulk then ball or mix, ball then re-ball.
  • #2 by Swinger-mike on 14 May 2022
  • work on your stretching technique.
  • #3 by roumin on 14 May 2022
  • I am not a pro, but the issue is not my stretching technique.  I stretch by hand and I am able to achieve good oven spring and open crumb when I ball or re-ball later.
  • #4 by RHawthorne on 14 May 2022
  • What temp are the dough balls at when you're using them? Are you taking them out of the fridge or have they already been at RT? Temp can make a huge difference.
  • #5 by roumin on 14 May 2022
  • tried one with fridge fermentation for 48 hours and warm up on counter for 3 hours.  and another one on counter the whole time for 5 hours.  same thing.  crust  was good, but NO big airy crumb
  • #6 by scott r on 14 May 2022
  • to me, big airy crumb = wet dough, bulk fermentation.  If you cant bulk def go wetter but both is ideal
  • #7 by roumin on 14 May 2022
  • Thanks Scott, I get that higher hydration improves oven spring, but what does bulking do that you can't do with mix-ball-stretch method?
Pages:
Actions