A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Sauce Ingredients / Re: Best way pizza sauce
« Last post by RHawthorne on Yesterday at 11:53:06 PM »
Neapolitan style sauce should be just gently crushed San Marzano tomatoes (or Salerno if you can get your hands on some and you don't mind straying slightly off the purist Neapolitan path) with touch of sea salt. New York style can be made with tomatoes of pretty much any origin as long as they're of good quality, and should really not be too heavily seasoned, but a bit of salt and oregano is pretty common. A little crushed fresh or dried garlic can be added if you like, but some old school NY pizza purists say that's inappropriate. Personally, I keep my seasonings very light and simple in my sauce, and prefer to obtain the herb component from those added directly to the pizza, pre and/or post bake, not so much in the sauce. I think the main thing that differentiates the flavor profile of Neapolitan and New York pizzas as far as the herbs go is that NY style is traditionally seasoned more with oregano, and Neapolitan relies on basil, or at least the Margherita style. That might sound like a minor thing, but the difference in flavor is really pretty profound.
New York Style / Re: Looking for Mama's Too house slice dough recipe
« Last post by RHawthorne on Yesterday at 11:38:38 PM »
I think he has more than one tomato sauce, I don't think they all have carrot, but I could be wrong.  Could it be carrot just in the vodka sauce?   I know that one is cooked.
Yeah, you're right. I missed that. There was a rough cut in the video, and I didn't realize he was talking about the vodka sauce the first time I watched it. That's very interesting. Now there's another thing I need to try!
He's quite a salesman.   He's an experienced pizzamaker and I'm sure you'd learn something from him.  He often makes things complicated ("this is next level guys-a") but that does not necessarily make it better IMO.  I'd stay away from his NY pizza material as he clearly has no idea what that style is about.  I hear he makes good "swasage" :D
"guys-a" :-D :-D That kills me. Yeah, I watched his most recent video on "next level" NY pizza dough, just for entertainment. I couldn't help noticing how he didn't even specify what kind of flour to use, but just says "flour", and also uses semolina flour in the mix, which is obviously way off the mark for this style. I like to use the stuff myself, but I would never call a pizza I made that way "New York style". I can only assume he's using some brand of "00" flour for the bulk, as he did in his first stab at the style, which is also questionable. I don't know if the guy just can't bring himself to make NY style pizza in the true style because of his strict Neapolitan standards or what, but I hope he doesn't repeat the "New York style" thing again without doing it correctly, because you can tell just looking at the pizzas in his video that they're nothing like they should be. I still like the guy, but he either needs to stick with straight Italian style pizzas or do American styles the right way.
« Last post by scott r on Yesterday at 11:32:02 PM »
I think he has more than one tomato sauce, I don't think they all have carrot, but I could be wrong.  Could it be carrot just in the vodka sauce?   I know that one is cooked.
« Last post by RHawthorne on Yesterday at 11:20:25 PM »
good point!   I think its safe to say no added sugar.... and he has long bake times at high temps so that makes sense.   I can't remember if it was bromate or not on the all trumps, but I don't think it was and pretty sure there is no bromate now.
I just skimmed through that video again, and at 12:44, he says "I put no sugar in anything I do in this store". I guess that's honest enough, but I still feel like a little clarification about the dough would not go too far amiss. I also found it interesting that he said he uses some carrot in his pizza sauce. I worked at a place about a decade ago (that's now out of business) where they did that, and it was a cooked sauce. I'm guessing his sauce is probably cooked too, because I can't imagine throwing raw carrot into an uncooked sauce. Or maybe he just cooks the carrots and adds them to the sauce (?). Now I'm intrigued.
Sauce Ingredients / Re: Best way pizza sauce
« Last post by QwertyJuan on Yesterday at 11:13:54 PM »

New York style or neopoliian

Most people making Neopolitan pizza are in the "quality tomatoes and salt" camp... sometimes New York style will also have a bit of parm, oregano, garlic/onion powder and even a bit of sugar. Some places even go crazy with things like marjoram, thyme or even cinnamon (yup... it's a thing).
« Last post by scott r on Yesterday at 11:09:07 PM »
good point!   I think its safe to say no added sugar.... and he has long bake times at high temps so that makes sense.   I can't remember if it was bromate or not on the all trumps, but I don't think it was and pretty sure there is no bromate now.
« Last post by RHawthorne on Yesterday at 11:06:06 PM »
  He has been very public about saying there is no sugar used in anything in his pizzeria.   
I hope he's saying that there is no added sugar in anything, because there is definitely sugar in AT flour. I've heard others in the business say that same thing before, and it always bugs me when I know what kind of flour they use. Other than straight "00" flour, I would say there's pretty much no such thing as a flour used for pizza dough that doesn't have some form of sugar already in it, whether there's any added or not.
« Last post by RHawthorne on Yesterday at 11:01:55 PM »
Make sure you watch the video below if you haven't already.

I watched this video a few weeks ago, and then I couldn't remember which place it was. At 0:53 in the video, he said the hydration rate for their dough was 74%, which is way high for NY style by my reckoning, but a lot people love it. I would imagine the other ingredients are probably in the usual range; 2%-2.5% salt, 0.2%-0.5% yeast, 1%-3% oil (maybe higher). I can only guess about the fermentation time and temperature, but I would imagine it's not a same day dough. I'm not saying it would be any easy dough to replicate, but given the information we already have on it, you would have at least some idea of the proportions you should be shooting for if you were to give it a try.
Shop Talk / Dans a whore...just like anyone else...
« Last post by JWFPIZZZA on Yesterday at 10:05:51 PM »
Just another f..k trying to make a buck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress