A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 107208 times)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1820 on: September 10, 2021, 12:02:25 PM »
Sorry but, what is "microplaning cheese"?  ???
A microplane is a brand of grater that comes in different sizes. The finer ones grate hard cheese leaving them in a light, fluffy state instead ground kind of like cornmeal. Also good for garlic, ginger and anything you'd want to zest. Very similar to a wood rasp plane.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S7V8/?tag=pmak-20
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:03:58 PM by Jon in Albany »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1821 on: September 10, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »
Microplane is a company that makes various graters, zesters ..etc, such as
https://www.microplane.com/microplane-graters-zesters
Marty

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1822 on: September 10, 2021, 05:59:33 PM »
I actually didn't realize microplane was a brand. I thought it was just a style of grater. Below is the one I used. While I didn't think the holes were smaller than my box grater, the result was very different. "Light and fluffy" as Jon said.

Matt

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1823 on: September 10, 2021, 06:45:31 PM »
Way back Microplane was a woodworking tool and I think I have one somewhere in my shop. Think of a rasp. This is a little history.
https://kitchenproject.com/history/Microplane/index.htm#:~:text=The%20History%20of%20the%20Microplane&text=It%20started%20out%20in%201990,in%20Russellville%2C%20Arkansas%2C%20USA.
Marty

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1824 on: September 24, 2021, 05:21:24 PM »
A few pages back I posted about the oven I was getting, and needed a way to make an 18" stone sit level because of the lip of the oven rack. Turns out that California Pizza Stones sells what they call "Pizza Posts" which are small pieces of the stone material that you can use for raising a stone. So I got 5 of the smallest size and it seems like it should work great.

Pictures below of the posts, my level stone, and my almost finished new pizza corner.

I just turned the oven on for the first time to break it and the stone in. Sunday's bake I expect will be my usual 14" pie just so that I can get used to the new oven. But I'm excited to finally get a chance to bake an 18" pie.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:24:21 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1825 on: September 25, 2021, 01:03:32 AM »
Nice, Matt, congratulations! May have to change the name of your thread to Mattís Pizza Corner.  ;D
-Tony

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1826 on: September 26, 2021, 12:41:05 AM »
A few pages back I posted about the oven I was getting, and needed a way to make an 18" stone sit level because of the lip of the oven rack. Turns out that California Pizza Stones sells what they call "Pizza Posts" which are small pieces of the stone material that you can use for raising a stone. So I got 5 of the smallest size and it seems like it should work great.

Pictures below of the posts, my level stone, and my almost finished new pizza corner.

I just turned the oven on for the first time to break it and the stone in. Sunday's bake I expect will be my usual 14" pie just so that I can get used to the new oven. But I'm excited to finally get a chance to bake an 18" pie.

Had no idea they had these
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #1827 on: September 26, 2021, 06:51:32 AM »
matt, those kitchen cabinets look familiar  :)

jeff

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1828 on: September 26, 2021, 07:38:33 AM »
matt, those kitchen cabinets look familiar  :)

Great pic QD, like a magazine photo. I'm sure your buyers are thrilled, congrats on the sale!

Matt

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1829 on: September 26, 2021, 07:39:45 AM »
Had no idea they had these

Me neither, was a happy surprise when I clicked on it. Screenshot below for anyone who doesn't want to search.

I got the smallest one ($2 each). They almost slip through my rack, but I turned them and seem to be holding.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 07:41:51 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1830 on: October 10, 2021, 10:43:40 AM »
Alright, I'm 2 bakes in with my new oven. Works very nicely, and the option for increased heat is promising.

My first bake I did my usual at 500 and the result was my typical pie. My second bake I preheated at 550, stone temp was 560. Bake time was 8 minutes, half with the screen. My notes say "Sauce tastes better!" and "Crust tastes better!". A few spots had the undercrust too done for my liking, but other than that, it was really good.

The crust was simply "better" baked. It had more chew and better texture. The sauce was flavorful, likely a bit thicker and reduced. If I bake this hot again, I'll have to think about whether I want to make the sauce thinner or maybe add some more. Or I could just do the same as it worked. (Note that these 2 bakes were with Boars Head mozz as I'm out of Grande.)

My next bake will be my first ever 18" pie (assuming no disasters in stretching etc). Temp wise I plan to meet in the middle, maybe 525-530.

Pics below of my 550 bake.
Matt

Offline [email protected]

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1831 on: October 10, 2021, 06:22:21 PM »
Great looking pies. If you recall, what was dough weight for 14ís and what are you planning for on the 18ís?

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1832 on: October 10, 2021, 07:04:51 PM »
Thanks! Last few months I've been using 371 grams for 14" a TF of 0.085. For 18" I have 650 grams in the fridge, which is TF of 0.09.

Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1833 on: October 10, 2021, 07:11:53 PM »
Thanks! Last few months I've been using 371 grams for 14" a TF of 0.085. For 18" I have 650 grams in the fridge, which is TF of 0.09.

0.085 FTW.
John

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1834 on: October 10, 2021, 07:54:50 PM »
Got all of it. Look forward to seeing the big one.

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1835 on: October 11, 2021, 07:39:42 PM »
First 18" pie!! It really does change things. Not only does it eat differently, but it bakes differently.

A while back I baked a few 16" pies, and I posted that they baked differently than 14". I'm not sure why/how the bigger pies differ, but they do. And the eating experience was just like being at a pizzeria. Really happy with this bake.

The dough weighed 650 grams, which is a TF of 0.09 at 18". I had a few thin spots. As I was anticipating, this was very thin for a pizzeria pie. Reminds me of Louie and Ernie's thin. But I like it thin.

I put almost 1.5 cups of sauce. (It was 1.25 cups + 2 spoons.) The amount seemed perfect for my liking.

16 oz of mozz. It was Boars Head again, and it was accidentally sliced at the deli counter. So we cut the slices with a knife to try to get it something like my usual potato grater shred. I think this amount was good. Maybe use a touch less.

Pre-heat was at 525, stone was 528-530. Bake was approximately 8:40 with 5:30 on the screen.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:56:32 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1836 on: October 11, 2021, 10:15:43 PM »
Great, Matt!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1837 on: October 11, 2021, 11:30:25 PM »
Thatís a great looking slice.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #1838 on: October 13, 2021, 10:35:52 AM »
LOOKS SPECTACULAR!  OH WOW!  Kudos, man!

Could you mention a few words on how this bigger pie(s) bake differently from the smaller ones?

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1839 on: October 13, 2021, 04:31:44 PM »
LOOKS SPECTACULAR!  OH WOW!  Kudos, man!

Could you mention a few words on how this bigger pie(s) bake differently from the smaller ones?

Thanks! It's hard to describe, but it has to be regarding the melt (and possiblty the resulting distribution of grease).

The first time I did a 16" bake I said it this way:
"The melt actually seemed to be improved. It's hard to put my finger on it, but I think having a bigger intermediate ring between the center of the pie and rim helps. It was a little whiter than my usual melt in that spot, and it had some chewiness to the cheese which I like at times."

Same concept held this time. It's almost as if the 14" pies have only 2 textural areas, the near-rim and the center, with the center making up most of the pie. But the bigger pie has some sort of intermediate area that baked different.

That said, there are so many different variables in each bake and I've only baked a few pies at 16 and 18", so will need some more bakes to get a better feel for it.

(Link below to that first 16" bake 3 years ago.)
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=51924.msg548103#msg548103

Edit: it's interesting looking at those old pics seeing the pale rim, and the pale rim on my recent 18" pie. I wonder if baking near the max size of the oven leaves the rim away from the upper heating element.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:33:38 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

wordpress