A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 738467 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2900 on: April 01, 2019, 08:11:55 PM »
Norma,

Ok got it ! I will .. :) do you like to use oil in pan or butter? Or a mix ? Just curious . Thanks Joe

Joe1,

Now use butter flavored Crisco for the round pans.  Makes spreading the dough so easy and it sticks right where it is spread.  Should have taken a video today of greasing the round pan and pressing into the pan. 

https://www.crisco.com/products/vegetable-shortening/butter-flavor-all-vegetable-shortening

Norma

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2901 on: April 01, 2019, 08:55:13 PM »
Norma ,

Got it thanks again ! When you get a chance ithat would be great to watch  :) :) I used olive oil . Came out ok. Still need some practice  ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2902 on: April 01, 2019, 09:01:12 PM »
Norma ,

Got it thanks again ! When you get a chance ithat would be great to watch  :) :) I used olive oil . Came out ok. Still need some practice  ;)

Joe1,

Okay.  Yes, olive oil can work, but it takes a little more time to press out the dough. 

Norma

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2903 on: April 01, 2019, 09:01:30 PM »
Norma ,

Have you ever tried James farm cheddar ? I saw it today at restaurant store . Did not purchase I just got some mozzarella but was curious if you used that particular brand before and if so does it works good on pizza ? Thanks  Joe :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2904 on: April 01, 2019, 09:21:02 PM »
Norma ,

Have you ever tried James farm cheddar ? I saw it today at restaurant store . Did not purchase I just got some mozzarella but was curious if you used that particular brand before and if so does it works good on pizza ? Thanks  Joe :)

Joe1,

I think I tried James Farm mild white cheddar from the Rest. Depot and maybe the sharper one, but they were both white cheddarís.  Might have tried them when I was almost out of the regular cheddar I use from another distributor.  They worked well.  I also use the Saputo mozzarella (Rest. Depot) mixed sometimes with cheddar, with cheddar being the most dominate cheese.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DE0X2TY/?tag=pmak-20

Prices sure weren't as much as Amazon though. 

Also think I used the James Farm mild white cheddar two weeks ago, when my distributor forgot to order the cases of cheddar I wanted, but got that from another stand at market on a Monday, plus another mozzarella.  I was highly pissed that the higher up man had forgotten to place my order that I placed the week before that.  >:( Since Lipari has taken over someone has to place an order in advance and I did.  Lipari did have the kind of cheddar I use at the location where I picked it up, but they said they couldn't sell it till they send it out to Michigan and it comes back on the truck again when it is ordered.  I said that is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.  In the end the man was going to bring some of the cheddar to market on a Tuesday, but I said forget it cause it is too much to try to grate the cheeses and start to make pizzas the same day.  Of course I paid a higher price for the cheddar and the mozzarella from another market stand. 

Norma

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2905 on: April 02, 2019, 08:35:46 AM »
Norma,

Thanks ... hope that cheese situation get worked out for you . Here is a pic of a Detroit style from last night .. it came out ok itís still a work in progress   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2906 on: April 03, 2019, 07:33:59 AM »
Norma,

Here is a pic of a Detroit style from last night .. it came out ok itís still a work in progress   ;D

Joe1,

You did well with your Detroit style pizza!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2907 on: April 03, 2019, 07:49:10 AM »
Joe1,

This pan pizza was just made with the Lehmann dough, so it didn't have the same crumb structure as the Detroit dough.

Didn't have time to weigh any ingredients yesterday.

Did press another Lehmann dough into a pan, first thing yesterday morning and took a photo of how the pan was greased with Buttery Flavored Crisco, but didn't use that dough yesterday to make a pizza, cause still had my coat on first thing in the morning and the coat liner sleeve was dirty.  :-[

2 photos of the finished Lehmann dough pizza, that was pressed into the pan the day before.  The dough was cold when pressed into the pan too just like the video.  Video is on Instagram cause it is
easier to do it that way since I don't take my regular camera to market anymore.  Photos from yesterday didn't turn out well either.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvyqkZahEkX/

Norma
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:54:29 AM by norma427 »

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2908 on: April 03, 2019, 08:44:25 AM »
Thanks Norma .. it is still a work in progress .

Thanks for the pics and video your pizza looks delicious  .It went into the pan so easily.  So that was New York style Lehman dough into pan ... Do you sell these too at the market with that Lehmann dough at times ? Just curious ( I know you told me in previous post that you havenít made the Detroit rounds in a while ). ... It looks really good . :) Joe

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2909 on: April 03, 2019, 01:14:06 PM »
Thanks Norma .. it is still a work in progress .

Thanks for the pics and video your pizza looks delicious  .It went into the pan so easily.  So that was New York style Lehman dough into pan ... Do you sell these too at the market with that Lehmann dough at times ? Just curious ( I know you told me in previous post that you havenít made the Detroit rounds in a while ). ... It looks really good . :) Joe

Joe1,

Most of my pies are still works in progress.   :-D Yes, that was a NY style Lehmann dough that was pressed into the pan.  No, don't usually sell them at market.  The pizzas in the round pans with Detroit style doughs are better.

Norma

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2910 on: April 03, 2019, 08:06:30 PM »
Got it  :) thanks Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2912 on: April 09, 2019, 06:10:13 PM »
Norma,

Have you ever measured the cooked pizza thickness of your round Detroit , how thick in inches that round you do in the 2nd picture at reply #2864 ? Looks so so good . I know you used 12 in pan .. but curious how thick it is ? Is it on the thinner side  or ..its hard to tell from pic . :) Thanks Joe

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2913 on: April 09, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »
Norma,

Have you ever measured the cooked pizza thickness of your round Detroit , how thick in inches that round you do in the 2nd picture at reply #2864 ? Looks so so good . I know you used 12 in pan .. but curious how thick it is ? Is it on the thinner side  or ..its hard to tell from pic . :) Thanks Joe

Joe,

No, don't think I ever measured the thickness of the round Detroit pizzas, like the one at Reply 2864 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg558708#msg558708  Yea, you are right it is hard to judge the thickness from the view on the second photo.  Usually just proof the dough in the pan till it looks proofed enough, then add toppings and bake.

Norma

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2914 on: April 09, 2019, 11:07:32 PM »
Thanks Norma  :)

I made a Detroit the other day and it seemed on the thin side . Was just curious if yours is thick.. mine came Just a little thicker than a New York style ..maybe double a New York .is that the right thickness ??.It was from a frozen dough ball I thawed out. Few weeks old .. Maybe it didnít have any spring and it lost some luster ...but it did go in the pan nicely !! Gotta look at the positives   ;D Joe

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2915 on: April 10, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »
Thanks Norma  :)

I made a Detroit the other day and it seemed on the thin side . Was just curious if yours is thick.. mine came Just a little thicker than a New York style ..maybe double a New York .is that the right thickness ??.It was from a frozen dough ball I thawed out. Few weeks old .. Maybe it didnít have any spring and it lost some luster ...but it did go in the pan nicely !! Gotta look at the positives   ;D Joe

Joe,

The round pan Detroit style pizza isn't as thick as the rectangular Detroit style pizza after it is baked, but it is thicker that a double NY style pizza.  You might be right that the frozen dough ball you used lost pretty much yeast in a few weeks from freezing.  When I freeze dough balls right after mixing, usually use 0.50% IDY and freeze them in a non-defrosting freezer.  Yep, always look at the positives.  :)

Norma

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2916 on: April 10, 2019, 10:07:39 PM »
Thanks Norma .. thatís exactly the answer I was looking for .. Iíll try again and increase the yeast when I freeze .. or just make pizza the day after ! I made it and it just seemed way too thin but it was good and the family enjoyed eating it.. so thatís a good sign . Joe

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2917 on: April 10, 2019, 10:18:12 PM »
Thanks Norma .. thatís exactly the answer I was looking for .. Iíll try again and increase the yeast when I freeze .. or just make pizza the day after ! I made it and it just seemed way too thin but it was good and the family enjoyed eating it.. so thatís a good sign . Joe

Joe,

If I ever get back to making the round Detroit style pizzas, will measure how thick they are after the bake.  New helper started yesterday and still didn't get to make Detroit style doughs.  Yes, if freezing more yeast is probably needed, but I have frozen NY dough balls left over at times.  They only had 0.16% IDY and cold water was used to make them, then they had a 2 days cold ferment before being frozen in a non defrost freezer.  They still worked out well when using them to make pizzas the following week.  Not sure if a higher hydration dough needs more yeast or not.  Your pizza was probably like a Greek style pizza.  They are also very good and I fooled around with them different times.  Steve got me hooked on them, but haven't had the time to play around with them lately.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2918 on: April 10, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »
Joe,

Matt posted a very nice looking Greek style pizza at this link.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.msg512223#msg512223

You can see it somewhat looks like a Bar style, Greek style and a thin Detroit style pizza

Norma

Offline Joe1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2919 on: April 10, 2019, 11:06:47 PM »
Ok Norma great ..thank you for links and all ... That pizza looks good! Mine came out similar .. thin Detroit .. I guess that is bar pizza? You are right it came out Greek style !  I still have to get to that dough calculator tool .. have to go on a computer with flash ..Iím on my phone ...when you say 0.50 IDY.. and .16 IDY i still canít figure that out in grams .. or oz... Iíll get on one soon .  :)  the yeast for some reason is the most complicated for me to figure out  ;D