A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 738477 times)

Offline Omega1379

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2840 on: July 09, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »
Here's a video of the dough straight out the fridge! https://streamable.com/mt1ul

What do you think?

Also, check this out http://www.farine-mc.com/2012/04/troubleshooting-dough-hydration-trick.html

Seems like it's not a sin to add more water. Let me know what you think of the consistency.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #2841 on: July 09, 2018, 09:01:20 AM »
Here's a video of the dough straight out the fridge! https://streamable.com/mt1ul

What do you think?

Also, check this out http://www.farine-mc.com/2012/04/troubleshooting-dough-hydration-trick.html

Seems like it's not a sin to add more water. Let me know what you think of the consistency.

Omega1379,

Your dough straight out of the fridge looks good and strong.  Did you oil the dough and bowl after balling?  Not sure if the dough will need reballed or not since it was degassed some. 

Your second link is very good.  Never knew that extra water can be added.  Really don't know if that applies to pizza dough or not.  Maybe you might want to start a new thread with that video to see what members think, or have to say.  I am not an expert on all doughs and still have a lot to learn myself.  :-D

Norma

Offline Omega1379

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2842 on: July 09, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »
I appreciate it  ;D

By nice and strong do you mean it could use a little more hydration?

Also, I did oil the ball and bowl, although liberally. Moreover, I did ďball itĒ but the dough is rather big (for 2 pans) so it didnít really hold its shape together.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2843 on: July 09, 2018, 10:14:55 AM »
I appreciate it  ;D

By nice and strong do you mean it could use a little more hydration?

Also, I did oil the ball and bowl, although liberally. Moreover, I did ďball itĒ but the dough is rather big (for 2 pans) so it didnít really hold its shape together.

Omega1379,

No, I didn't mean by nice and strong that it could use more hydration, but then who really knows.  I thought the dough looked okay.

Usually dough is scaled, balled and oiled before the cold ferment, then put into a suitable sized container for the cold ferment.  The container is usually lightly oiled too.

Norma

Offline Omega1379

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2844 on: July 09, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »
Omega1379,

No, I didn't mean by nice and strong that it could use more hydration, but then who really knows.  I thought the dough looked okay.

Usually dough is scaled, balled and oiled before the cold ferment, then put into a suitable sized container for the cold ferment.  The container is usually lightly oiled too.

Norma

Again, thank you for everything. You've been much help.

I have two final questions to ask:

How much sauce is appropriate for the Detroit style?
Also, what baking temp and time do you recommend?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2845 on: July 09, 2018, 08:56:12 PM »
Again, thank you for everything. You've been much help.

I have two final questions to ask:

How much sauce is appropriate for the Detroit style?
Also, what baking temp and time do you recommend?

Omega1379,

Glad I could have been some help.

I never measured the sauce for a Detroit style pie, but you can look at Buddy's Pizza to see how thick the strips of sauce are.  https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1770&bih=987&ei=WQBEW7C-LsXt5gK69JfoCQ&q=Buddy%27s+pizza&oq=Buddy%27s+pizza&gs_l=img.3..35i39k1j0l9.6586.9688.0.10007.15.15.0.0.0.0.104.1126.12j1.13.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..2.13.1125.0...0.c9fhBX8fKFE

Last week didn't apply enough sauce in those racing strips.

When  baking a Detroit style at market use the regular oven temperatures of about 550 degrees F or a little less baked on a stone.  At home baked on a baking stone at a little over 500 degrees F.

Took some more photos of what the Detroit style frozen dough looked like today when it was taken out of the freezer, and then put into the deli case to be defrosted till tomorrow.  When there is time will post those photos.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2846 on: July 10, 2018, 06:53:23 AM »
Two photos of some of the Detroit frozen doughs yesterday.  These were made with cake yeast.

Norma

Offline Omega1379

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2847 on: July 10, 2018, 07:27:09 AM »
So just an update:

The rehydration seemed to work. What I did was essentially take it out the fridge the morning I was going to bake the pizza, although Iím sure anytime during the cold fermentation would have worked as well. Next, I ran a little warm water along the sides of the bowl( like in the video), gently rolling it around and flipping it over.

Once I achieved the desired hydration, I dusted the bottom and top with dough (like your recommendation) this time without overdoing it. I then oiled and balled it up again, tossed it back in the freezer for 90 mins for a quick chill, then back into the fridge before the room temperature pan rise.

The result: Pizza night was a hit for my family and I. One Detroit pizza was cooked well done because I lost track of time, but the second came out great. Only mistake I made was that I either used too much sauce, or I didnít drain the tomatoes enough. However, the caramelized layer of cheese on top created a nice roof on top of the sauce, holding it in place (especially the well done pie).

I used your formulation but used 1% honey and 1.5% raw sugar in the dough. I also made it with 20% semolina, 98% KABF, and 2% vital wheat gluten

Here are some photos: https://imgur.com/a/vx5gcse

First 4 photos (at the above link) are the well done pie, next 2 are the second pie at room temp, and as an added bonus, my second attempt at NY style!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:11:20 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2848 on: July 10, 2018, 09:58:04 PM »
So just an update:

The rehydration seemed to work. What I did was essentially take it out the fridge the morning I was going to bake the pizza, although Iím sure anytime during the cold fermentation would have worked as well. Next, I ran a little warm water along the sides of the bowl( like in the video), gently rolling it around and flipping it over.

Once I achieved the desired hydration, I dusted the bottom and top with dough (like your recommendation) this time without overdoing it. I then oiled and balled it up again, tossed it back in the freezer for 90 mins for a quick chill, then back into the fridge before the room temperature pan rise.

The result: Pizza night was a hit for my family and I. One Detroit pizza was cooked well done because I lost track of time, but the second came out great. Only mistake I made was that I either used too much sauce, or I didnít drain the tomatoes enough. However, the caramelized layer of cheese on top created a nice roof on top of the sauce, holding it in place (especially the well done pie).

I used your formulation but used 1% honey and 1.5% raw sugar in the dough. I also made it with 20% semolina, 98% KABF, and 2% vital wheat gluten

Here are some photos: https://imgur.com/a/vx5gcse

First 4 photos (at the above link) are the well done pie, next 2 are the second pie at room temp, and as an added bonus, my second attempt at NY style!

Omega1379,

Glad to hear you rehydation seemed to work for you, and your family and you had a hit pizza night.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2849 on: July 10, 2018, 10:05:53 PM »
This is how my Detroit crumbs looked like when made in a round steel pan.  3 Sicilian's.

Norma

Offline Omega1379

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2850 on: July 10, 2018, 10:35:16 PM »
Yum, those look delicious. I'll be honest here, I haven't had experience with Detroit style pizza besides Jet's pizza, so I wasn't familiar with the overall thickness of the crust. I guess my crust was a tad bit too thick. It was still great though!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2851 on: July 11, 2018, 07:23:50 AM »
Yum, those look delicious. I'll be honest here, I haven't had experience with Detroit style pizza besides Jet's pizza, so I wasn't familiar with the overall thickness of the crust. I guess my crust was a tad bit too thick. It was still great though!

Omega1379,

Jet's pizza is somewhat like a Detroit style pizza.  I used 9.5 ounces of dough for a Detroit style pan, When playing around with a Buddy's style pizza.  Now use 1 lb. of dough for the 12Ē steel round pans for the Sicilians.  Don't know how that translates in a different TF.  Just played around till I liked the TF after proofing and baking.

As long as you and your family enjoyed the pizzas that is all that matters.  ;D

Norma

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2852 on: July 11, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »
Omega1379,

Jet's pizza is somewhat like a Detroit style pizza.  I used 9.5 ounces of dough for a Detroit style pan, When playing around with a Buddy's style pizza.  Now use 1 lb. of dough for the 12Ē steel round pans for the Sicilians.  Don't know how that translates in a different TF. ...................

Norma

Norma:

Assuming a typical 10" x 8" Detroit pan and 9.5 oz dough the TF is 0.12 .......9.5/(8*10) = 0.118

!6 oz dough in a 12" round pan is a TF of 0.14............16/(62*3.142) = 0.142
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:28:57 AM by parallei »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2853 on: July 11, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
Norma:

Assuming a typical 10" x 8" Detroit pan and 9.5 oz dough the TF is 0.12 .......9.5/(8*10) = 0.118

!6 oz dough in a 12" round pan is a TF of 0.14............16/(62*3.142) = 0.142

Thanks so much Paul!

Norma

Offline skipreid45

• It's always Pizza Night
« Reply #2854 on: July 11, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
Norma these look great. I was very excited to see you had some new DSP square pies. I am making a couple this weekend. I hope they look half as good as yours do.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2855 on: July 11, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »
Norma these look great. I was very excited to see you had some new DSP square pies. I am making a couple this weekend. I hope they look half as good as yours do.

skipreid45,

Yes, I have some of those new Detroit style pans and used one last week.  It was already seasoned, but still stuck.  Would need to be seasoned more before it wouldn't stick on the edges.  Am using round Allied steel pans now.  Good luck to you when you make your Detroit style pizzas.  :)

Norma

Offline Omega1379

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2856 on: July 12, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
Hey Norma!

Itís about time for round 2 for trying to make a Detroit style pizza :)

Have you made any updates to your formulation ?

Also, I was wondering if you knew what percentage would be ideal if I were to use ADY instead of IDY with your formulation on page 133
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:34:44 PM by Omega1379 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2857 on: July 12, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »
Hey Norma!

Itís about time for round 2 for trying to make a Detroit style pizza :)

Have you made any updates to your formulation ?

Also, I was wondering if you knew what percentage would be ideal if I were to use ADY instead of IDY with your formulation on page 133

Omega1379,

No change in the formulation, except to try fresh cake yeast this past week.

You might want to read Peter's post at Reply 319 to decide how much ADY to use instead of using IDY.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34538.300#lastPost

Of course the amount you decide to use will also depend on final dough temperature and how long you want to cold ferment. 

Right now I use:

100% GM Full Strength bleached and bromated flour
75% hydration
.50% IDY
2% Kosher Salt

Now mix dough, get it in shaped to be balled, oil the balls, then right into the freezer.  Used to cold ferment for one day.

Maybe another forum member could help you with exactly how much ADY to use for the amount of time you want to cold ferment.

Norma

Offline Omega1379

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2858 on: July 13, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
Ahh, thanks yet again.

Freezer huh? I made my dough yesterday and put it in the fridge. I might transfer it to the freezer now. How do you prep it for the day-of baking? Do you just roll it out directly from the freezer?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2859 on: July 13, 2018, 09:05:26 PM »
Ahh, thanks yet again.

Freezer huh? I made my dough yesterday and put it in the fridge. I might transfer it to the freezer now. How do you prep it for the day-of baking? Do you just roll it out directly from the freezer?

Omega1379,

The only reason I put the dough balls in the freezer is for convince at for market, because that is when the NY style doughs and Detroit style dough balls are made on a Sunday.  With 0.50% IDY, that is a lot of yeast for 2 days cold ferment.  The freezer does kill some yeast cells, but am not sure how many are frozen in the non defrosting freezer at market.  The dough balls do ferment a little till solidly frozen. 

The dough balls are made on a Sunday, then frozen.  When I go into market Monday the dough balls are taken out of the freezer to thaw and ferment until Tuesday.  The dough balls do thaw and grow a lot in size in one day from the higher amount of IDY. 

If you were thinking of freezing your dough, you might want to get it out of the freezer in time for it to thaw and ferment in the fridge.  Don't forget the dough will get sticky again after it gets warm. 

Norma

wordpress