A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Reverse Engineering Galleria Umberto Sicilian Pie (Boston)  (Read 3107 times)

Offline paviod

Reverse Engineering Galleria Umberto Sicilian Pie (Boston)
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »
Has anyone attempted at recreating this unbelievable sicilian pizza? I've read on the boards that they're most likely utilizing a blend of 50% white cheddar, 25% Mozzarella and 25% Provolone but not sure and haven't seen anyone really dive deep into the science. Anyone insight on the dough and cheese blend would be great and challenge any experts on creating this sicilian pie.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:46:14 PM by paviod »

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Reverse Engineering Galleria Umberto Sicilian Pie (Boston)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »
That looks really good. To answer your question - I don't know of any attempts at reverse engineering this pie.  It would be useful if you could share some crumb/undercarriage pics.  Also, a description of the crumb texture, dough flavor, etc would help, too.  I'm interested in seeing how this thread develops.

J
Il miglior fabbro

Offline fewd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 12:42:09 AM »
At the expense of ticking a few people off with the old bump...i was wondering if anyone had any insight into this pizza.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 01:11:28 AM »
Wow that really does look good

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Reverse Engineering Galleria Umberto Sicilian Pie (Boston)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 09:12:07 AM »
My first guess is that its part skim mozz.  It gets brown like that. It looks like the sheet pan pizza I used to get in elementary school.  Id be curious to see if the undercarriage is as done as the top is.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:54:29 AM »
It does have that part skim mozz look, but that is the same look that most of the greek pizzerias have to their cheese around here as well, and they are all using cheddar or cheddar blends (which also give that look). One sneaky way to tell the difference is that the cheddar or cheddar blends oil off more than a part skim mozz.   

To me Umberto's seems like a combo of two popular pizzas in our area.  Its the same style crust as you find at just about every mom and pop Italian bakery (which we have a good number of).  They typically sell the square slices at room temp, along with their bread and cookies etc... usually with just sauce or sauce and grated cheese on top.  Then Umberto's uses the cheese that all the greek shops use rather than your typical Italian mozzarella cheese.  It tastes like cheddar to me.  It is a yummy combo!

For the crust at these places your typically going to see bread flour rather than high gluten, and its almost always bromated bleached.  They usually just use the same dough they use for their bread and sub rolls, but its allowed to rise in the pan for baking. 

Offline fewd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 09:50:19 PM »
It does have that part skim mozz look, but that is the same look that most of the greek pizzerias have to their cheese around here as well, and they are all using cheddar or cheddar blends (which also give that look). One sneaky way to tell the difference is that the cheddar or cheddar blends oil off more than a part skim mozz.   

To me Umberto's seems like a combo of two popular pizzas in our area.  Its the same style crust as you find at just about every mom and pop Italian bakery (which we have a good number of).  They typically sell the square slices at room temp, along with their bread and cookies etc... usually with just sauce or sauce and grated cheese on top.  Then Umberto's uses the cheese that all the greek shops use rather than your typical Italian mozzarella cheese.  It tastes like cheddar to me.  It is a yummy combo!

For the crust at these places your typically going to see bread flour rather than high gluten, and its almost always bromated bleached.  They usually just use the same dough they use for their bread and sub rolls, but its allowed to rise in the pan for baking.

I'm starting to suspect that a nice cheddar mozz blend and some tomato magic will get me 90% there.   I know bread is bread and I'm probably over thinking this but is there any recipe (or even hydration number) in particular you might point to?  The crust at Umberto's is so light and almost angel food cake like. 

I'm Boston born and raised and have been on the west coast for the past few years.  After perfecting bar this is next on my list (Santarpios and Regina are 3 & 4  :-D :chef:)

I've never been to your spot but have only heard/read good things.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:57:02 PM by fewd »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 12:13:25 PM »
Since its cake like, think about what you would use for a cake.   Maybe an all purpose flour rather than bread flour even, and some oil.