A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: First Sicilian style, and it went really well  (Read 758 times)

Offline OrlandoPete

• I Love Pizza!
First Sicilian style, and it went really well
« on: February 08, 2021, 02:55:30 AM »
I have been making NY style pies for the past year. Only about once a month unfortunately, but my oven which will not go over 500 has left me struggling. On the stone, my crusts have been too pale on top, but if I went too long on the bake the cheese would burn. On a screen, I got slightly better results but the crust was too brittle. My pizzas have been just fine, but nothing special.

Maybe I gave up on NY style too early, but I grabbed a 14x14 Lloydpans square pan and gave a Sicilian style a go. I used a recipe from a YouTuber: Kitchen & Craft and it literally changed the game for me. On the first try I got a golden brown crust/undercarriage with this darker pan. Cheese didnít burn due to being under the sauce and toppings. Baking in olive oil in the pan gave an amazing flavor to the crust. Iím not going back. I will now be trying some different crusts with this pan...thinner bar style and mid-thickness grandma. Anyway, the pics. Forgot to grab a bottom shot. Sopressata and pepperoni...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:58:38 PM by OrlandoPete »

Offline mikep

• I Love Pizza!
Re: First Sicilian style, and it went really well
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 07:13:57 PM »
Nice job.

Offline iBob18052

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 04:40:17 PM »
I recently discovered Kitchen and Craft on YouTube. I have a 16x16 pan, not Lloyds, but it is hard anodized. I like how he gave a math lesson to figure out the formulas of different pan sizes by area. This week I came the closest to perfection by only par-baking for 5 minutes before adding sauce and whole milk mozzarella and baking until cheese started to brown in 450 oven.

Offline OrlandoPete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 12:11:19 AM »
I recently discovered Kitchen and Craft on YouTube. I have a 16x16 pan, not Lloyds, but it is hard anodized. I like how he gave a math lesson to figure out the formulas of different pan sizes by area. This week I came the closest to perfection by only par-baking for 5 minutes before adding sauce and whole milk mozzarella and baking until cheese started to brown in 450 oven.

Dang, 16x16! Thatís a serious pie. I havenít played around with par-baking yet. I didnít need to for this Sicilian style, but I will need to for my NY style because my cheese is browning well before my crust.

Offline killerasp

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 02:29:15 PM »
aside from the type of pan you are using, using oil vs crisco on the pan also makes a huge difference in the dough caramelization as well.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T