A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lloyd Pan  (Read 662 times)

Offline FridayNightPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Lloyd Pan
« on: February 24, 2021, 01:30:05 PM »

Hello,

I'd love recommendations or suggestions for a Lloyd pan or rolled baking steel to make a wet Romana dough.  I have seen negative reviews for coatings coming off the Lloyd pan. 

Thanks for any help!

Carey Ann

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Lloyd Pan
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 03:49:32 PM »
As a home baker, I have nothing but positive experience with my Lloyds PSTK pans.  I'd venture to guess that most of the problems are with commercial operators whose use is more abusive. 

I can't speak to the use of baking steel (usually 30-40 lbs) for that style of pizza.  Are you perhaps thinking of blue steel pans?  I have blue steel pans made by Paderno and Ottinetti and they are both excellent.  They'll outlast me!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 04:04:38 PM »
I agree, as home user my Lloyd's pans seem very sturdy and like they will last forever.   One thing to consider is that after some side by side testing my Lloyd's pans do not bake the bottom of the pizza quite as dark as my well seasoned steel pans.  This could be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your oven and recipe.  I think that for a very wet dough it might be a disadvantage, and the lloyds pan will work better for you, but that goes against roman tradition.   On the flip side I actually have a better nonstick surface on my steel pans that I seasoned myself, but both work well.

Offline FridayNightPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 12:33:21 AM »

Hi Scott,

What do you recommend for Romana? Steel or Lloyd?  I cannot find a suitable steel with rolled edges.  Do you know of one?

Thanks for the help.

Carey Ann

Offline nickyr

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 03:53:07 PM »
I have Lloyd ptsk pans for grandma, Detroit, and deep dish style and they’ve been great for home use over the past year or two

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 05:09:35 AM »
I've made eight Detroit style pizzas in my Lloyd 10x14" pans since receiving they, and they've been great. I would imagine that if one tries hard enough, they could get the coating to come off the pan inside, but in my use so far, I haven't had any issue. I use a metal offset spatula to break the caramelized cheese away from the sides and a large metal grill spatula to ease the pizza out of the pan to a cooling rack once broken free. Neither have harmed the pan interior.

I too have seen some complaints about the coating on the pan, but I wonder how much of that is a result of using the pan, or if it's the pans general appearance when received as new. These are not inexpensive pans, and perhaps some folks may want a flawless pan when paying that much for it, expecting a car show-room finish on the coating all the way around. Lloyd includes a fact sheet with each pan explaining why the pan will have some "beauty marks" around the folded edges and exterior that happen during the manufacturing process. The fact sheet indicates that these will not affect the baking of the pizza, and that the pans are designed for commercial use. While I don't know how the pans would hold up making dozens of pizzas a day in them for years, so far I haven't had any issues and I'm not hesitant about using metal tools when removing the pizza.

The attached pictures are of the Lloyd's fact sheet included with my pan, and the edge of the pan where the "beauty marks" can be seen. There are a few of them around the edges, but the interior of the pan has no defects. I have two of these pans and both have worked great. I posted a write up photos about my second Detroit style pizza here, https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=68127.0.

Hello,

I'd love recommendations or suggestions for a Lloyd pan or rolled baking steel to make a wet Romana dough.  I have seen negative reviews for coatings coming off the Lloyd pan. 

Thanks for any help!

Carey Ann
Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

Isolating a year from C-19 made me a better baker.

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 06:35:22 AM »
I love my Lloyd pans and pizza discs..  They are pricey, but worth it...  I have been slowly adding more and more..  I currently have two 14x14 Sicilian pans, One 8x10 Detroit, One 16"x2.5 round, and three 16" pizza discs..  I would love to have all 16x16" Sicilian pans but they are not available on Amazon, and the shipping on one pan at the Lloyd site is like $15 making the cost of a single 16x16 almost $75..  I was skeptical at first about how much these pans can really make a difference..  They really are that good!

Offline stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 07:52:52 AM »
did you have any problems with the discs? I  bought a 16" Hex Quik-Disk and a regular 16" quik-disk and did not have any luck with them. Using them in my Blackstone. Both of them warp terribly (deck temp about 650) and discontinued use. My cheapo regular pizza screeen from local restaurant supply works fine. When I spoke with the rep she told me they are made from rolled steel and sometimes they try to get back to original shape. Interesting, if I put the screen in by itself and keep on stone for about 5 minutes it is fine, no warping. As soon as I load a pie it happens within a few minutes. Suggestions?

Much appreciated...   Steve