A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Open crumb  (Read 447 times)

Offline PizzaCalcio

• I Love Pizza!
Open crumb
« on: April 14, 2021, 09:09:45 PM »
Hello All!

Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. I have been trying to perfect my focaccia/Sicilian style pizza and am still looking for a little more openness in my crumb. Here is my process

Recipe - 75% HL, 2% Salt, .2% Yeast - 48 hour cold ferment

I usually let sit out at room temperature in the container that it was in for 4 hours and then , if I am going for a little thinner, Roman style , Ill Ball up for 2 hours, shape and put in the pan. If I am going for more Sicilian/Focaccia, I Will put in pan, stretch after 30 min, and then let proof in pan for 1:30.

I can usually get a pretty open crust when I do a plain focaccia with no toppings (usually ballooning) but when I put toppings on after a par bake, my crust that has risen will sometimes deflate due to the weight of the sauce or cheese.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated!

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Open crumb
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:10:31 PM »
I can usually get a pretty open crust when I do a plain focaccia with no toppings (usually ballooning) but when I put toppings on after a par bake, my crust that has risen will sometimes deflate due to the weight of the sauce or cheese.

How long are you parbaking, and what rack are you baking on?

If ithe crust is deflating you're probably using too much sauce/cheese (which, based on the side shot of a slice, doesn't appear to be the case) or you're not parbaking long enough for the top of the dough to back through and fully set. You could try increasing the length of the parbake or leave the time unchanged and move the pan to the top rack of the oven for 3-4 minutes at the end of the parbake to firm up the top of the crust (the temperature at the top of the oven will be hotter than at the bottom (unless the coil is on, of course, but you don't want or need to firm up the bottom more, you want to firm up the top)). You could also experiment with switching the broiler on part way through the parbake. (For what it's worth, when I parbake a Sicilian or Detroit crust I bake it 8 minutes on the bottom rack (400F/205C), move it to the top rack for 2-3 minutes, then turn on the broiler for 1-2 min: just long enough to firm it up and give it some color.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:12:19 PM by megan45 »

Offline PizzaCalcio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 09:50:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I actually let the dough sit for a little bit after the par bake and it worked wonders

Offline rossopizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 11:07:37 AM »
So at 0.2% yeast, I would have thought that 4 hours at RT and then 48 hours cold would result in overproofed dough, but clearly your results look great. Have you messed with the time before putting it in the fridge?

Offline PizzaCalcio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »
Sorry - may have been confusing - the 4 hours at RT is right when I take out of the fridge - before the fridge, right after mixing, I am doing 3 stretch and folds every 15 minutes, 1 hour rest and then into the fridge

Offline killerasp

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 03:47:16 PM »

That's pretty normal to be honest. Most folks tend to parbake till the top is nice and brown before taking it out. Apollonia's Pizzeria parbakes his doughs for quite a bit before taking them out, letting them rest and back into the oven with toppings. https://www.instagram.com/p/B5fyak6BRqk/ https://www.instagram.com/p/B-SIPNxDf5P/