A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Is my dough bad or decent?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline mgproudfit

• I Love Pizza!
Is my dough bad or decent?
« on: June 02, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
I know it's not good by the measures of what other people post here on PM.

We are currently using this Bobby Flay (gasp!) dough recipe:

4 cups bread flour
1 tsp sugar
1 env dry yeast
2tsp kosher salt
1.5 cups warm/hot water
2 tbsp EVOO

I made the recipe up last night at 10:00PM, putting the yeast in the water for 12 minutes and combining the dry ingredients. I then poured in the yeast mixture and EVOO using our Kitchenaid stand mixer with dough hook and mixed on Speed 2 for 10 minutes. I then took out the dough as it had already balled up nicely and kneaded it for another 10 minutes. We then portioned, put on a covered baking sheet, and put in fridge overnight for just at 13 hours. I just took the dough out, (shown as pictured), kneaded and balled, and will let it come to rest at room temperature until we use it tonight around 6:30.

- I notice my dough seems to tear somewhat easily (see picture below). Given the recipe and procedure outlined above, what can I do to limit this from occurring?
- We plan on switching recipes shortly to using 00 caputo flour instead of bread flour but Im still curious as to how and make this recipe the best way possible.
- The 3 pics attached below are: 1.) portioned dough right out of fridge 2.) Torn dough after kneading/ball 3.) Balled portions setting at room temp

Thanks!
Matt

Offline mgproudfit

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Is my dough bad or decent?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »
Ok, so even after resting at room temp for 30 minutes or so the dough got a lot more soft and stretchy. I re-kneaded each dough ball for a few minutes and re-balled them into shape. I think resting at room temp until 6:00-6:30 should produce a very usable crust, even if the recipe isn't ideal.

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »
20 minutes seems a very long time to knead the dough. I usually never go over 10 minutes, and some CF doughs, I only go about 6 minutes.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 04:56:11 PM »
Bobby Flay's recipe has been discussed here before.  It's awful.  It breaks out to:
Flour - 100%
Water - 71.3%
IDY - 1.4%
Salt - 2.27%
Sugar - 0.8%
Oil - 5.4%

Why do you want to use 00 flour?  Unless you have an oven that's capable of reaching at least 800F you will be disappointed with the results.

Just start with the basic Lehmamn formulation.  I can promise you that it will be miles ahead of the Flay nonsense.

Bread Flour: 100%
Water: 62%
Salt: 1.75%
ADY: 0.2%

Overnight refrigeration should work fine.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline mgproudfit

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »
I have a DIY WFO (similar in effect to Kettlepizza) so temp isn't my problem.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T