A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Grimaldi's Clone Recipe - Can We Figure It Out?  (Read 20750 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Re: Grimaldi's Clone Recipe - Can We Figure It Out?
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2016, 09:36:55 PM »
Normally I don't care for "fresh mozz".  I've tried to like it but I don't, I like the aged stuff if you will, but at Grimaldi's it was spot on great.  I suppose it is the coal that worked well with the fresh mozz to taste just so good.  Tried it with deck oven pizza and wood burning pizza and didn't care for it much.  Coal is the trick I think.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2016, 10:01:54 PM »
Normally I don't care for "fresh mozz".  I've tried to like it but I don't, I like the aged stuff if you will, but at Grimaldi's it was spot on great.  I suppose it is the coal that worked well with the fresh mozz to taste just so good.  Tried it with deck oven pizza and wood burning pizza and didn't care for it much.  Coal is the trick I think.

You might try Bel Fiore mozzarella.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2016, 11:00:42 PM »
Well I tried it and wasn't impressed, i'll stick to other styles.

Baked on steel
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2016, 11:45:41 PM »

Baked on steel

Not to take anything away from your pizza; it's pretty far from the real thing. As has been said above, you are not going to recreate this pizza in a home oven.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2016, 12:17:25 AM »
Not to take anything away from your pizza; it's pretty far from the real thing. As has been said above, you are not going to recreate this pizza in a home oven.
Yeah, it's not even remotely a clone, it's more like a Grimaldi "style" pizza.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2016, 01:31:03 AM »
How ironic is this?  I love this Grimaldi's pizza but I am refraining from going there, not because it's about 30 miles away and LA traffic is a bear, but because I love it so much I don't want to get addicted to it, I kid you not.  Nor do I want to grow tired of it if I go a lot.   I will however go in about two weeks maybe, that's enough space between when I first went and when I go in two weeks. That would be about one month time.  Now the dilemma.  Get a white pizza just to see how theirs is because it looks so good or go with the one I love so much, the one with sauce.  And no, I don't want to get both.  I want to not divide my attention between two totally different pizzas.  I want to fully enjoy one type.  I think I'll go with the sauce then go again in another two weeks and get the white pizza.  Two diff types of pizza in a short time won't be considered Pizza Abuse.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:33:38 AM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2016, 01:32:28 AM »
You might try Bel Fiore mozzarella.

Thanks pal for the suggestion.  I'll dry that one out and see how I like it.  Appreciate your suggestion.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2016, 07:01:55 AM »

Baked on steel

This style of pie is worth another try. You didn't specify what you didn't like about your pie, but 2 things that help the flavor tremendously: fresh basil and salt. The salt compensates for the fresh mozz, which has lower sodium than most cheese.

Matt

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »
I bake my pizzas in my gas grill. It has an infrared back burner for rotisserie chicken that I turn on at some point during the bake.  Since no coal is involved it won't be like coal pizza but it turns out pretty good.  I have tried the way of putting the slices of cheese down and the sauce in random places and it turned out pretty good. Next time I make one I'll take some pics and put them up here.  I wish I had a coal oven but for now this must be done.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2016, 08:13:30 PM »
This style of pie is worth another try. You didn't specify what you didn't like about your pie, but 2 things that help the flavor tremendously: fresh basil and salt. The salt compensates for the fresh mozz, which has lower sodium than most cheese.

Sadly my store ran out of Fresh basil, my dough's salt content is at 3%.

It was good but wasn't exactly what I wanted. I wish the dough was crispy is all. But that's  a personal thing.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2016, 10:04:17 PM »
Sadly my store ran out of Fresh basil, my dough's salt content is at 3%.

It was good but wasn't exactly what I wanted. I wish the dough was crispy is all. But that's  a personal thing.

MR,

Not sure what your formula was but if you want more crispness increase the water and add some semolina to the dough, perhaps 15% of the total flour.

Regarding your fresh mozza, I think the water content of that particular cheese isn't very well suited for home ovens...

Check out Glutenboy's comment about the Belgioioso Unwrap & Roll fresh mozza:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=43386.msg436571#msg436571
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2016, 06:21:51 AM »
MR,

Not sure what your formula was but if you want more crispness increase the water and add some semolina to the dough, perhaps 15% of the total flour.

Regarding your fresh mozza, I think the water content of that particular cheese isn't very well suited for home ovens...

Check out Glutenboy's comment about the Belgioioso Unwrap & Roll fresh mozza:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=43386.msg436571#msg436571
This makes complete sense.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2019, 01:53:12 PM »
Just adding to this old thread... I've been told that these are the tomatoes they use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEW2SXE/?tag=pmak-20

They add 1 Tbsp of sugar per #10 can (6 lbs. 7 oz.) and mix with an immersion blender.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »
Steve,

In about eleven years, apparently not much has changed on the tomato front at Grimaldi's:

Reply 16 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3669.msg54056#msg54056

Peter

Offline Yeller

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2019, 12:21:13 PM »
I do know for a fact that the dough is proofed for 2 days. Correct they get almost everything from Roma including garlic powder and tomatoes. I get back in the kitchen from time to time so I will look for the tomatoes, probably San Marz. Usually they use a immersion blender to blend the sauce, very little seasoning if any. The coal is very high grade that is shipped from the East coast. They use Kingsford to fire the oven. I have brought home 2 day proofed balls given to me for my Blackstone with decent results but need closer to 850-900 deg. Hope this helps, we love it there as well + kinda like family now when we go in...

Offline PizzaF1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2020, 05:35:08 AM »
I do know for a fact that the dough is proofed for 2 days. Correct they get almost everything from Roma including garlic powder and tomatoes. I get back in the kitchen from time to time so I will look for the tomatoes, probably San Marz. Usually they use a immersion blender to blend the sauce, very little seasoning if any. The coal is very high grade that is shipped from the East coast. They use Kingsford to fire the oven. I have brought home 2 day proofed balls given to me for my Blackstone with decent results but need closer to 850-900 deg. Hope this helps, we love it there as well + kinda like family now when we go in...

The following video confirms the 2 days fermantation.

Dan

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2020, 10:47:23 AM »
The following video confirms the 2 days fermantation.
They may do a 2-day CF now. They didn't when it was one shop under the bridge. It was a 2-hour dough back then,
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2020, 10:11:06 AM »
They may do a 2-day CF now. They didn't when it was one shop under the bridge. It was a 2-hour dough back then,

I think the fermentation times vary depending upon the location and how large their cooler is.  I know for a fact that the bake times vary a lot from location to location.  One of the Las Vegas locations had a bake time that exceeded 10 minutes, which is amazing when you consider that the fire is 2000F
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 08:27:33 AM »
I'd be willing to take a crack at this style again someday in the far future. Looking back on it, my sauce was too thick and I had too much cheese and sauce.

Offline Yeller

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »
I can confirm that the oven temp is closer to 650F ...I thought they were closer to 800 due to the leoparding.

wordpress