Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by HansB on 02 Apr 2019
  • Bill(JPB) and I did a mini tour today. I'll keep going back to 1&2.

1- Scarr's. Excellent NY pizza

2- Song 'e Napule. Amazing

3- Upside. Okay NY slice

4- Made in New York Prince Street copy. Good crust, too much pepperoni, not enough sauce and cheese.

5- Sacco. Like a 99 cent slice.

• #2 by hammettjr on 02 Apr 2019
  • I liked Sacco the first time I went. The second (and last) time the undercrust was basically raw. Same problem?

• #3 by jvp123 on 02 Apr 2019
  • Bill(JPB) and I did a mini tour today. I'll keep going back to 1&2.

1- Scarr's. Excellent NY pizza

2- Song 'e Napule. Amazing

3- Upside. Okay NY slice

4- Made in New York Prince Street copy. Good crust, too much pepperoni, not enough sauce and cheese.

5- Sacco. Like a 99 cent slice.

Awesome and I see Bill! 

I'd like to hear more about  Song 'e Napule. Oven, bake time, flour type?, cheese type/s?, sauce characteristics,etc.  I know you don't know the answers specifically to most, but just your educated guesses.
  • #4 by HansB on 02 Apr 2019
  • Awesome and I see Bill! 

I'd like to hear more about  Song 'e Napule. Oven, bake time, flour type?, cheese type/s?, sauce characteristics,etc.  I know you don't know the answers specifically to most, but just your educated guesses.

As far as I know, 0/00 flour. Wood fired ~700-750. 2:00 ish minute bake. Fior Di Latte, San Marzano tomatoes both imported from Italy.
  • #5 by jvp123 on 02 Apr 2019
  • As far as I know, 0/00 flour. Wood fired ~700-750. 2:00 ish minute bake. Fior Di Latte, San Marzano tomatoes both imported from Italy.

Ok cool.  So as I thought - not quite NP - they push it out a bit on lower temp and bake time to give it a touch firmer texture.  I like it.
  • #6 by foreplease on 02 Apr 2019
  • Until I saw your photo, I would have had trouble imagining anything could have too much pepperoni for my taste (or picturing what such a thing would look like). Wow though, that thing is loaded for bear!
  • #7 by quietdesperation on 03 Apr 2019
  • Sorry for recommending Sacco guys, it used to be a solid choice for the area and as I mentioned, Harry used to recommend it. Havenít been to the other three yet, was there a line at upside?
  • #8 by jkb on 03 Apr 2019
  • too much pepperoni

Say it isn't so!

Next time we meet up, it's your pick.
  • #9 by HansB on 03 Apr 2019
  • Sorry for recommending Sacco guys, it used to be a solid choice for the area and as I mentioned, Harry used to recommend it. Havenít been to the other three yet, was there a line at upside?

No line but steady busy.
  • #10 by HansB on 03 Apr 2019

• Say it isn't so!

Next time we meet up, it's your pick.

Yes, even for me!
  • #11 by Jersey Pie Boy on 03 Apr 2019
  • Though I ran out of appetite before Sacco ( and he was as Scarr's yesterday before we met up..we'd been there together before) , I'd agree with Hans on every note.

The big winner for me was  Song, which was terrific.  I'm known not to be a big NP fan, yet I loved  Song's pie.  The longer. cooler bake makes a world of difference for me. And  Luca was such a welcoming host.

Balance is so the key to a great pizza and that's why Made in NY was less than it might have been. The crust was very good. Upside seems  to have great PR.  Their natural starter made from .The Wild Yeasts of 10 Countries. Please. The proof is in the eating. It was fine, and no more than that,. The Upside? Well, there's not another good pizza place close to Port Authority so if you're hungry, it'll get the job done.
  • #12 by Qapla on 03 Apr 2019
  • There was a pizza place in Jacksonville, Fl that served NY style pizza cooked in a brick oven. They made a good pizza.

They did something I had never seen before. Their pepperoni was sliced quite thin and "lengthwise" instead of across the end - so, they had these long slices instead of rounds. They covered the entire surface of the pizza with these thin slices. I thought it was going to be too much pepperoni but it came out being just right - I think due to the thinness of the slices.

That said, I think I would agree that the slice pictured above has too much pepperoni on it.
  • #13 by hotsawce on 03 Apr 2019
  • Suprema is in the area and a superior choice.

Don't get me started on the dishonest marketing for that place. The NY Times wrote an entire article exalting that slice (likely, without even tasting it) because of how it was supposed to be "better" because of the sourdough and absurd cheese blend. Give me a break.

Though I ran out of appetite before Sacco ( and he was as Scarr's yesterday before we met up..we'd been there together before) , I'd agree with Hans on every note.

The big winner for me was  Song, which was terrific.  I'm known not to be a big NP fan, yet I loved  Song's pie.  The longer. cooler bake makes a world of difference for me. And  Luca was such a welcoming host.

Balance is so the key to a great pizza and that's why Made in NY was less than it might have been. The crust was very good. Upside seems  to have great PR.  Their natural starter made from .The Wild Yeasts of 10 Countries. Please. The proof is in the eating. It was fine, and no more than that,. The Upside? Well, there's not another good pizza place close to Port Authority so if you're hungry, it'll get the job done.
  • #14 by wb54885 on 03 Apr 2019
  • Iím curious, was Upside particularly sour for you guys? I had a cheese slice there after the NYtimes article came out, not expecting much, but for $3, it was at least unique to my tastes and didnít feel like a ripoff compared to other $3 slices in town. I was surprised that it was as pungent and funky as it was. If I lived near port authority, Iíd alternate between the $3 Upside slice and the $4 Suprema cheese slice based on how much change Iíd saved up that week.

My prediction in late February was that prices at Upside would go up before the summer. Waiting to see if they have to go that route to pay their bills in that neighborhood.

Glad to see folks are still loving Song E Napule, too.  :pizza:
  • #15 by Jersey Pie Boy on 03 Apr 2019
  • wb,

The slice we had was 4.25..plenty cheesy (more than I like) crisp (ditto) and yes, kinda sour, not real objectionable, but not something like improves its flavor to my taste. 
  • #16 by HansB on 09 Jun 2019
  • I had another slice at Upside today. I liked it better than the first I had there. Really flavorful crust. Just a hint of sour but a lot of flavor.
  • #17 by Jersey Pie Boy on 09 Jun 2019
  • That was my take also on my second trip...really good, a lot better than first time...and your first time was also mine.  :)  Of course, we had just eaten at Song e Napule half an hour before  Tough act to follow. :-D
Pages:
Actions