A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: BobGraff's NYC Pizza Pilgrimage  (Read 1337 times)

Offline bobgraff

Re: BobGraff's NYC Pizza Pilgrimage
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 11:55:46 AM »
June 2019

First time back to NYC this year.  I didn't get to hit as many places as I'd hoped, but I made it to places high on my hit list.

Don Antonio  Sister restaurant to Keste.  I ordered the special: sweet salami, artichoke, olives, lemon zest, mint leaves.  My colleague ordered the Montanara (fried dough, oven finish). 

Scarr's Pizza.  Man, this place is legit.  Everything about this pizza exceeded my expectations.  Contrary to what I had read, Scarr's does in fact sell pizza by the slice.  If that's not enough endorsement for you, I spotted Alex Delany from Bon Appetit standing in line for a slice.  Thanks again for the recommendation, Bon Appetit Guy!

After we departed Scarr's, I bid my co-workers adieu and hopped a train uptown to Mama's Too.  I opted for a couple of squares:  one vodka sauce and one pep.  It's probably unfair to pass judgement an hour after Scarr's, but Mama's didn't live up to the hype for me.  Both squares were borderline burnt on the bottom, especially the vodka (the upskirt pic is the lesser burnt pep slice).  Ignoring that one fault, they were pretty good.  More oily and crunchier than Prince Street.   I'd be happy to give them another shot - they had 4-5 other square pies + a roundy that looked great, but I wasn't up to the task.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:59:02 AM by bobgraff »
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
Great report Bob!
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Scarr's, especially their sauce!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 03:04:51 PM »
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Scarr's....

Exactly what I was thinking...may need to move further up my list of places to try. Bob, anything else you can say to describe Scarr's? Was it a good and simple slice, or did you notice herbs or hard cheese, other?
Matt

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2019, 07:19:31 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking...may need to move further up my list of places to try. Bob, anything else you can say to describe Scarr's? Was it a good and simple slice, or did you notice herbs or hard cheese, other?

Great report Bob!
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Scarr's, especially their sauce!

I would describe Scarr's as a really fresh tasting simple slice.  There's a certain crispness to the crust.  Their sauce is all about highlighting the tomato product that they use.  Salt, maybe some olive oil, and minimal herbs.  Looked like they were using sliced WMM and I did not see or detect the addition of hard cheeses (I could be wrong though).  If you look closely, my pizza has dried herbs and chili flake sprinkled on top.  I suspect the chili flake (and possibly the herbs) were added by my friends before I got to the table.

Definitely worth the trip!
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
Sorry to hear about a mediocre Mama's Too visit. I was really impressed at my one visit. That was pre New York times review and the crowds. I wanted to get to Scarr's on my last visit to the city but I was outvoted by the crowd I was traveling with. I need better traveling companions.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 04:07:30 PM »
I need better traveling companions.

:-D
John