A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY Style Rookie  (Read 397 times)

Offline CheeseMcSauceface

• I Love Pizza!
NY Style Rookie
« on: March 08, 2021, 06:33:41 PM »
Hey Everyone,
Here are my attempts at NY Style. This is my first post with pictures of pies as I have only been making pizzas since January. Just looking for some opinions/advice. This forum has been such an amazing help in getting started and getting the proper tools for pizza making.
I used Scott’s123 recipe with KASL and avocado oil in place of vege oil. Cold fermented for 3 days instead of 2. My stretching on the margarita was not the best (as you can tell by the crust). The second attempt (slices) way better. Used scalfani crushed and Galbani fresh mozz for the marg. Scalfani tomatoes are my go to. I love the flavor. Just added some garlic powder, oregano and a little salt.  I ran out of scalfani so I cheated and used some Newman’s own roasted garlic marinara for the second pie, along with galbani whole milk LM. Cooked at 550 on a 1/2 in steel for about 6 mins.  Broiler was on last 3 minutes.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: NY Style Rookie
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 06:57:08 PM »
Nice!

Do you try stretching the dough over your knuckles? Try creating a rim around the edge to form the edge crust, then pick it up to stretch.

Matt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 09:30:39 AM »
Thanks!!!  I did do some knuckle stretching although I think I was trying to avoid making the pie too big. I only have a steel big enough for a 12-14" pie.

Offline sal951

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »
Thanks!!!  I did do some knuckle stretching although I think I was trying to avoid making the pie too big. I only have a steel big enough for a 12-14" pie.

Yeah, I've had this issue in the past. I originally set out to make NY style and the cornicione was very large like the one you posted here. Nothing wrong with that if that's how you like it, but it's not really NY style. The cornicione on a New York pizza is typically much flatter and thinner these days, what you created looks a lot more like a Neapolitan pizza in terms of shape. What I do now if I'm making purely NY style is I make my dough recipe for 2 inches smaller than my peel/steel can handle. I can handle something up to about 15'' and I make a doughball for 13''. When I stretch it out, I get it nice and flat and it's at 15 inches going in. You could adjust the thickness factor on a dough calculator but I found this idea to be a quick fix for my purposes.

If you're interested in getting the crust more uniformly thin, I'd say don't be afraid of experimenting with being a bit more rough/aggressive with your flattening/stretching. Initially, I was far more cautious about making sure to preserve that rim on my dough when stretching. While it's not like I commit the cardinal sin of using a rolling pin for NY style pizza, I do squish it lower and more towards the edge, and I stretch it a bit more aggressively. I've found that since my dough processes are good, the crust will rise at the edges regardless. I dunno, something to think about - I think if you shrunk the initial size calculation for your dough and tried out just flattening and stretching it more than you've been comfortable with so far you might find yourself pleased with the results (if a true to style NY pizza is what your goal is).

Your bake looks good though, nice browning on the 1st one especially, I can picture how the bottom of the crust must look and feel. I think you're 99% there, the only question remaining is if you want a flatter and thinner edge or if you're okay with a hybrid Neapolitan-NY sort of look to it.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 12:39:43 PM »
Thanks for the insight! I think my weight on the doughballs was a little too high now that I think about it. They were approx 350g each. If I'm not mistaken, that would be enough for a 16" pie. I will def take your advice with making a smaller pie. I do love a thin crust, well done, ny style pie.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress