A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: UNTITLED PIZZA MOVIE  (Read 1116 times)

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
UNTITLED PIZZA MOVIE
« on: February 22, 2021, 10:07:30 PM »
I've seen Andrew Bellucci mention this movie / series being in the works, going to Sundance with it, etc here on the forums but haven't found a dedicated thread about it.

I haven't been this fired up to watch something in a long time! I've watched the minute-long teaser about 5 times now. Can't believe there is all of this unseen footage of pizza shops in mid-'90s NYC! And of course, the greater story around it sounds so intriguing. Again, SO excited for this.

From the Metrograph website (https://metrograph.com/untitled-pizza-movie/):

"In the early ’90s, under the guise of producing a TV series titled Eat to Win, director David Shapiro and his best friend, Leeds Atkinson, set out to find New York City’s perfect slice—and to eat for free. The two visited pizzerias across all five boroughs, capturing a changing city, while also preserving it on videotape. At the fabled Lombardi’s, they discovered Andrew Bellucci, a passionate pie man whose expertise landed him an unlikely role as a darling of the New York food world. But shortly after meeting him, he’s arrested, when his former life as a Wall Street criminal catches up to him. They followed the story, and filmed him in prison, but the two friends eventually drifted apart and abandoned the project. Twenty years later, Shapiro receives an e-mail: Leeds is dead. Now an established filmmaker in his own right, Shapiro pieces together their lost footage and sets out to discover what happened to Bellucci and Atkinson. Shot on three continents across 30 years, Untitled Pizza Movie asks: how do you remember someone in a disposable world? “You would think the grid of New York would be a good place to map a memory,” Shapiro muses in the first installment of the series. “In retrospect, it’s hard to pin something down in a city that easily buries its past.” Pushing the boundaries of documentary, the series weaves a triple character portrait through a tapestry of form—thousands of objects filmed as touchstones, Hi8 footage of a pre-gentrified city, and interviews with people as varied as New York Times wine critic Eric Asimov, Nobu’s Drew Nieporent, and Wall Street lawyers."

First part streams this Friday via Metrograph (5 dollar monthly membership I believe gets you in to see the full series)

This is the teaser I mentioned earlier: https://metrograph.com/live-screenings/untitled-pizza-movie-part-1-ice-cube-trays/

Going to be in Sunnyside on Friday night, will probably order a couple pies from Philomena's, get some beers and screen this.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
Re: UNTITLED PIZZA MOVIE
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:52:38 AM »
Let us know how it is!
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 10:11:33 PM »
Let us know how it is!

What?  You don't want to spring for $5 to check it out yourself?   ??? ??? ???

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 10:51:54 PM »
I haven't been this fired up to watch something in a long time!

Did it live up to your expectations?  Im super interested to know what you thought.

Yesterday I did a Zoom call with Scarr, Drew Nieporent and a few others that will appear after episode 7.  It was a lot of fun and Scarr makes a pretty big announcement...

Thanks for making this thread. When we talk privately I'll let you know about a guest that I invited to the zoom call but then uninvited after learning about an unforgivable transgression...

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 09:41:14 AM »
What?  You don't want to spring for $5 to check it out yourself?   ??? ??? ???

It sounds like it is multi-part, so I thought I would wait until everything is out and then spring for the $5.  We're keeping tabs on our pennies around here these days.

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 12:33:52 PM »
Did it live up to your expectations?  Im super interested to know what you thought.

Yesterday I did a Zoom call with Scarr, Drew Nieporent and a few others that will appear after episode 7.  It was a lot of fun and Scarr makes a pretty big announcement...

Thanks for making this thread. When we talk privately I'll let you know about a guest that I invited to the zoom call but then uninvited after learning about an unforgivable transgression...

It did live up to my expectations! The narrative around the entire thing is so interesting. I'll be honest, as someone who's obsessed with pizza I could probably just watch the entirety of the raw footage for "Eat To Win" and be thrilled, but learning more about your story, Leeds' story, Shapiro's story and how he weaves it all together is truly a feat. I've watched the first three parts with my partner who is no where near as interested in pizza as I am (she's coming around though ;) ) and she's thrown her hands up at the end of each episode being like "THATS IT?! IT'S OVER ALREADY!?". It's been awesome - like the lost art of watching a great TV show as it airs and having to wait until the following week to see what happens next (in this case a couple days).

It's interesting because the footage of you at Lombardi's and the footage of Leeds and Shapiro cruising around NYC going to L&B, John's etc, got me so excited, and I wondered if it was just because of my deep love for pizza, but seeing my partner be just as glued to the screen as me shows there is something bigger to it.

You mentioned that you didn't like seeing some of the footage of you, but I think it is raw and honest and I love that. I LOVE THE PIZZA TATTOO by the way ha!!

Hope more people here watch it, they don't know what they're missing!

It sounds like it is multi-part, so I thought I would wait until everything is out and then spring for the $5.  We're keeping tabs on our pennies around here these days.

Peter - it is 5 dollars for a month subscription to Metrograph and the entire thing airs within that month. You're getting essentially a glorified mini series, totaling like 4 hours or something for 5 bucks. Worth it!!

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 12:36:20 PM »
Peter - it is 5 dollars for a month subscription to Metrograph and the entire thing airs within that month. You're getting essentially a glorified mini series, totaling like 4 hours or something for 5 bucks. Worth it!!

Ah - got it!  Yeah - I think I will dive in then!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 12:46:10 PM »
I was waiting to get the whole thing but looks like I shouldn't sleep on it.

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 12:59:42 PM »

I think the final one airs on the 10th, and then the whole thing is on demand til the 14th. But all the episodes become on demand the day after they air so it's nice to have the extra time to rewatch the parts. I've watched em all twice so far haha.

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 05:52:39 PM »
I think the final one airs on the 10th, and then the whole thing is on demand til the 14th.

What happens after the 14th?
Matt

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 08:54:13 PM »
What happens after the 14th?

After the 14th it's out of circulation until it gets distribution.  It'll happen, but don't know when or where...yet.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 09:13:56 PM »

I hear you - and to be honest it's confusing as to how it works.  But yeah, it's $5 and you get a month subscription so you can watch anything the Metrograph has running - it's a really great art house.

Yeah, it'll still cost no more or less than $5 if you subscribe now or later.  After the 10th you'd have 4 days to binge all the episodes.  Six and Seven are longer - about 45 minutes each.  And after episode 7 will follow a "pizza panel" with me, Scarr, Drew Nieporent, Miriam Weiskind (The Za Report) and  Anthony Barile (owner of the Three of Cups where I worked before Lombardi's).  That'll run about an hour and it was pretty fun.

It did live up to my expectations! The narrative around the entire thing is so interesting. I'll be honest, as someone who's obsessed with pizza I could probably just watch the entirety of the raw footage for "Eat To Win" and be thrilled, but learning more about your story, Leeds' story, Shapiro's story and how he weaves it all together is truly a feat. I've watched the first three parts with my partner who is no where near as interested in pizza as I am (she's coming around though ;) ) and she's thrown her hands up at the end of each episode being like "THATS IT?! IT'S OVER ALREADY!?". It's been awesome - like the lost art of watching a great TV show as it airs and having to wait until the following week to see what happens next (in this case a couple days).

It's interesting because the footage of you at Lombardi's and the footage of Leeds and Shapiro cruising around NYC going to L&B, John's etc, got me so excited, and I wondered if it was just because of my deep love for pizza, but seeing my partner be just as glued to the screen as me shows there is something bigger to it.

You mentioned that you didn't like seeing some of the footage of you, but I think it is raw and honest and I love that. I LOVE THE PIZZA TATTOO by the way ha!!

Hope more people here watch it, they don't know what they're missing!

Thanks man!!

One of the partners at Joe's watched the first 3 episodes a year ago with his wife and she had the perfect description:  she said it was like being in a Beastie Boys video!!  I really like that!

There's so much footage that didn't make it into the series.  Shapiro shot 100 hours to get 1 hour of footage, so there's about 396 hours on the cutting room floor!!!  Including everything with my wife!!!  Once it gets picked up, there's a good chance of a "season 2".. .

I was over 300lbs in a few of the scenes and it just disgusts me.  I talk about that in one of the episodes, it's self-inflicted mutilation - I just always put myself behind the 8-ball.  I'm at 198 today, was down to 188 at the beginning of the pandemic, but at least I'm within striking distance...  No way could I open a shop and be there 12 hours a day if I was overweight...

i got the pizza tattoos in the back of Lombardi's after hours.  People forget that tattoos were illegal in NYC from 1961 to 1997.  A lot of artists had shops in NJ where it was legal and then had private clients in NYC.  I got mine done by Dan-O, a well-known artist in the East Village back then. 

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 09:42:39 PM »
I paid my $5 admission fee, but Firefox on Alpine Linux shat itself on playing the DRM video... I'll have to convince my wife to play it on her Windows machine  :pizza:
Carl

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 10:18:57 PM »
I paid my $5 admission fee, but Firefox on Alpine Linux shat itself on playing the DRM video... I'll have to convince my wife to play it on her Windows machine  :pizza:

That's way too technical for me!!!  You know what my deal was for this gig?  I got $1!!!  I had to pay $5 for the current screening.....And it worked fine on my Samsung phone and thru the Google browser.   Negotiating a deal with a Super Agent.  No more $1 gigs!!!   :-D :-D :-D

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 10:41:51 PM »
That's way too technical for me!!!  You know what my deal was for this gig?  I got $1!!!  I had to pay $5 for the current screening.....And it worked fine on my Samsung phone and thru the Google browser.   Negotiating a deal with a Super Agent.  No more $1 gigs!!!   :-D :-D :-D

Heh, well most Linux guys won't agree, but I kind of expect crap to not work and then just be pleasantly surprised when it does! No worries, I'll get something to play it! I got two dough balls in the fridge for Friday pizza so I got two days to work it out  ;D
Carl

Offline miz_en_plaz

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 12:55:32 AM »
I'm caught up, I love it. Can't wait for tomorrow's episode.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 09:31:04 AM »
I was over 300lbs in a few of the scenes and it just disgusts me.  I talk about that in one of the episodes, it's self-inflicted mutilation - I just always put myself behind the 8-ball.  I'm at 198 today, was down to 188 at the beginning of the pandemic, but at least I'm within striking distance...  No way could I open a shop and be there 12 hours a day if I was overweight...

Dude - that is awesome!  I went through my fat phase and was about 165, when I really should be more like 130-135.  And I HATED it - I felt like such a useless fat f**k.  I know what you mean about seeing footage of yourself at that time.  I don't think I had a lot of pictures taken then, but there is one that I always think of and it disgusts me too.  It is easy for me to say this, but try to look at it as a recognition of how far you have come. 
I managed to take off maybe 25 of that in PHX through some dieting and exercise.  Then in Seattle, I was down to 125 at one point with playing soccer 2-3 times a week plus swimming, jumping rope, etc.  I am back up a bit now, thanks to it being a little more complicated to get some exercise in.  When we are moved into our house, it will be significantly easier.  My wife and I want to do a lot of travelling a few years down the road, so I am really committed to staying in good shape so I can travel hopefully well into old age.
Anyway - point being, I was up 30-ish pounds over what I should be and you took off over 100!  That is so awesome. 

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
Really enjoying this film!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 01:11:17 AM »
I'm 3 episodes in and really enjoying the series.

These guys seem like they could be out of an old Billy Joel song.

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »
I've watched 4 installments so far. This is really well done. At turns funny, suspenseful, poignant and also quite moving. I hope I'm able to finish it before the 14th. Amazing how difficult it is to arrange an hour or so of uninterrupted TV watching. I'm reminded why I gave up on it years ago.  :-\
Carl

wordpress