A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Raquel  (Read 332735 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Re: Pizza Raquel
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2005, 08:11:17 PM »
IslanderJSF,
I am honored you decided to give Pizza Raquel more than one try. In time I trust she will serve you as well as she has me. Your modified Raquel looks great and I'm hopeful your next will be better still.

The questions you have about your starter are quite interesting. Although I'm far from a starter expert, here's my take on what you described: The hooch is the remnant of really active and hungry yeast. Consider it their trash. I would mix it back in (for a more intense flavor) and not be overly worried about it. In order to slow down their eating pace you will need to refrigerate your mixture.

I am going to venture a guess on my next point but are you weighing equal weights of flour and water? If not, you should. Flour weighs about 1/2 of water and I would think that a less viscous environment would lead to slower consumption.

I have seen hooch on the bottom, the top, and both top and bottom. Not sure what the significance of its location is. To me the importance of a starter is for a better flavor in the crust. Did your starter achieve that goal? If so, it is working fine. If you cannot detect any difference between a starter enhanced dough and one without then you may have problems. Let me know either way.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2005, 08:18:38 PM »
Islander, I am a novice to starters myself.  I have only made a handful of batches with one so far, but I have not seen hooch since I was activating my starter.  I have been worried about mine being too sour, almost sharp tasting.  Some people gave me advice like pouring off the hooch, as it could be the cause.  I have been making dough every few days, so it doesn't have long to sit in the fridge unfed.  I wonder if there is something wrong with mine, or yours, as they appear to be acting quite differently.

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2005, 07:24:55 AM »
I have found in my experiementing that pouring off the hooch will lessen the acidity of the batch and the strong sour taste it imparts... but it seemed easier for me to the the batch active again in a shorter period of time for use in cooking. It may have to do with the fact that I am making the environment for the yeast less acid and more desirable for them to multiply again. This also points at the way one keeps a starter feed by adding more water and flour--thus diluting the acid hooch or liquid part of the mix. Try it and you will see a difference in your starter...a happier starter....

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2005, 04:13:47 PM »
that sounds like just what I need to do.  My recent pies with commercial yeast, starter, and a fridge rise were really not that sour at all.  The problem seems to happen with the room temp starter only doughs, which I think I am going to eventually prefer.  I can't stop thinking about the cornicione on the pics that Marco has put on the sight.  I wish I lived in London, and could just be a fly on his wall for a day (or a month !).  I wonder if he pours off his hooch.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Sicilian Pizza
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2005, 06:32:02 PM »
Islander

For an authentic sicilian pizza try Reply 6 at the following link:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1073.0.html

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2005, 06:39:05 PM »
I wonder if he pours off his hooch.

I keep the Crisceto for pizza in a solid state (65-70% hydration). It is very hard to work with (the acidity of the dough and the absence of salt, make it super sticky).

I use to have another one in a liquid state. If you refresh it correctly, and keep it accordingly, your starter will never become too acid and certainly, you won't need to pour the hooch out.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2005, 03:44:12 AM »
thanks Marco, every few days you give me another clue to unlocking the mystery of the true Neapolitan pie.  I have been totally obsessed with trying to get this style of pie right ever since I got my new oven.  I can get 800 on the stone, and 900 above the pie no problem now.  I am just blown away by the way that ciro's pies looked from the side.  I still have a way to go as far as that texture goes.  I know that you don't use a rest period until later in the mixing process, then you do a tiny amount of mixing at the end after the rest.  Two questions:

Have you added all of your flour by the time you do your rest period? 

Do you think a rest period early in the mixing process can have a negative effect?

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2005, 03:46:43 AM »
Scott, just out of curiosity, what kind of oven did you buy?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2005, 04:07:28 AM »
duckjob, it is the $350 bottom of the line maytag with self cleaning.  It reaches 800 in less than an hour.  I have had to do no fussing with foil etc. to get an even bake.  I think what is making things so easy is the fact that it does the self clean cycle with the broiler element.  Then when the oven reaches around 850-900 it just starts alternating between the broiler and the bottom bake element.  I just totally lucked out.  You don't even have to rewire your oven or anything, mine is totally stock.  I just open up the hood when I want to do self clean, and slip a spare metal door key where the sensor for the door latch sits.  When I am done, I pull the key out, and my oven is back to stock.

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2005, 04:24:01 AM »
wow, what a deal.

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2005, 01:08:52 PM »
Scott

I have already explained somewhere what I can tell you about my method. The rest will be published soon....

Ciao

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2005, 01:23:11 PM »
pizzanapoletana,
Sign me up for an autographed first edition...

As an aside, I would buy a copy even if you published for free the entire book as a section on this site due to all the help you have extended to me personally and the community at large.

God bless.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2005, 01:32:37 PM »
Thank you marco, I am so grateful that you have shared what you have.  I will buy two copies of you book the day it comes out.  I want to set my brother up with abiility to make authentic neapolitan doughs at home.  Make sure you let us know as soon as it is ready!

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2005, 03:21:29 PM »
We had guests come over unexpectedly for lunch so what was I to do? How about a couple of hydrid Pizza Raquels. One with Pepperoni and one without.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2005, 03:22:13 PM »
Without...
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2005, 08:08:24 PM »
The friends which visited yesterday insisted on coming by with a special topping and one more Pizza Raquel. Fortunately I had a spare dough in the fridge. I'm glad I did as the result was special.

They brought with them very spicy sausage links called Chorizo. I grilled them first and then put them on half the pie as an experiment.  Talk about intense. The flavor erupted on the well charred slices. The flavor easily surpassed any pepperoni or sausage topping I have personally eaten in the past.

The best part about the Chorizo sausage is that it is available from your friendly local neighborhood Publix...
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2005, 08:10:24 PM »
Here are more photos
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2005, 08:26:33 AM »
Cheesy,
While I wouldn't say I'm burned out, I had no choice with making a pie for the unexpected company. They couldn't get Pizza Raquel out of their mind yesterday and begged to come over. Who was I to turn them down? I love passion in myself and others. 

I do tend to make pies in spurts due to my uneven travel schedule.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 02:53:56 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2005, 07:26:59 AM »
Lately I have been enjoying the fruits of my many months of effort and enjoying Pizza Raquel instead of trying to advance it in any one direction. I admittedly was at a point of it being "good enough" for me. Knowing the dough and crust portion of the formula could only be greatly enhanced by a wood burning oven which was many months away from completion, I decided to focus on another one of the big three. Namely the cheese.

I had been using up the last of the Penn Mac Grande Whole Milk mozzarella. Truth be told, I have never been completely satisfied with the Grande. It gave Pizza Raquel an unsightly NY street pizza appearance. While the Grande is creamy, somewhat flavorful, and melts well, it simply gives the wrong visual cues for an authentic fresh mozzarella pie. The yellowish melted appearance actually tastes better than it looks but it looks bad in my opinion.

Polly - O had recently discontinued their favored cryo-packed fresh mozzarella so I decided to try another cryo-packed fresh mozzarella by Biazzo. The background as to why I prefer cryo-packed fresh mozzarella instead of bufala mozzarella is simple - it is quite reminiscent of the type of cheese which was and still is used in elite pizzerias in NYC (which is where the roots of my pizza preferences come from). It is a somewhat dry fresh mozzarella which melts well and slices thin. The taste blooms when salted and oiled properly.

I have used the Biazzo in the past since it is available from Sam's Club. Memory tells me it was nothing to write home about relative to the other cryo-packed mozzarella I have tried. It wasn't bad but it also didn't distinguish in any dimension either.

My normal approach to preparing Raquel's toppings is to slice up the refrigerated cheese about a half hour before grilling and place it in the freezer. It comes out semi hard and not quite frozen for the looming battle of burning with my TEC grill.

Last night I decided to take one of the frozen balls of Biazzo Premium Fresh Mozzarella out of the freezer and slice it only moments before peeling the skin into the TEC. It was a much more difficult cut but the cheese didn't burn or breakdown one bit. So the experiment of using solidly frozen cheese was a success and a small step in the right direction of trying to produce the best pie I'm capable of.

Photographs are below for your inspection.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 07:29:12 AM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2005, 04:13:50 PM »
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 09:02:06 PM »
If you are considering a serious mixer for home use, the Santos would be the No 1 choice.  The only question is if the bowl does rotate...

The bowl does rotate and you can manually adjust the speed of the rotation which will help in stopping any dough climbing.It is available in the USA  from:

http://www.suitesupply.com

retail is about $860 with free shipping.The company is French and has been producing machines since the Fifties I believe.I would be more happy trusting a French Bakery appliance than a Kitchen Aid any day.The only drawback for the home user that I see is that this is a serious bakers appliance and does not adjust to whisk your eggs or mince your beef.It seems that there is a lot of confusion over the types of Mixers available.Whereas the Spiral is commonplace and used extensively in Europe it is not well known in the US (Even though it is ideal for Bagel/Pizza/Heavy Dough production due to producing less heat) I have yet to see a Diving Fork Mixer in use here?
Hobart Planetary Mixers seem to hold the attention of the audience.I guess it's a case of you using what you grew up with as well as the fact that contrary to popular belief your options for purchasing choices are limited here in the US.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market