A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My South Shore Bar Pizza  (Read 30927 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
Re: My South Shore Bar Pizza
« Reply #380 on: June 29, 2022, 08:52:22 PM »
You know how they say, "I wish I had found this thread sooner." Had I done that I think I would be 20 pounds heavier. I can literally walk to Town Spa and all the Brockton and Randolph joints are easily within a 15-20 minute drive. I guess it's time to start enjoying ice cold beer again!

You're fortunate to live there! I thoroughly enjoyed my trip there to research the style before trying to make it myself.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline bobluvspizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #381 on: July 02, 2022, 12:53:50 PM »
You're fortunate to live there! I thoroughly enjoyed my trip there to research the style before trying to make it myself.

Indeed. Often we overlook what is right in front of our nose. Town Spa:

Offline wilson502

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #382 on: July 05, 2022, 01:48:43 PM »
July 4th Bar pie I made last night. HansB your SSBP recipe always delivers!

Offline DannyG

« Reply #383 on: July 05, 2022, 02:05:40 PM »

Looks spot on! What was your oven temp and cook time? You have a oven rack just over the stone, is this how you baked?

Thanks!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #384 on: July 05, 2022, 03:52:09 PM »

Very nicely done!!
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline wilson502

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #385 on: July 05, 2022, 07:03:12 PM »
Looks spot on! What was your oven temp and cook time? You have a oven rack just over the stone, is this how you baked?

Thanks!

This was cooked in my Ooni Koda 16 as are most of my pizzas (unless specified otherwise). I have a 3/8" steel plate in place of the stock cordierite stone. I preheated about 25 minutes on high, then cooked on the ultra low setting for about 12 minutes. I cook it about 6 minutes before turning it 180 degrees. The steel is about 650-700 degrees when I put the pizza in. I find with the steel plate I dont need to finish it directly on the surface as the heat transfer from the steel plate into my 10" Chicago style Lloyd Pan cooks it adequately without having to finish it on the steel plate. With my stock stone I would need to take it out of the pan and finish it on the stone for about a minute or 2.

Offline stickyD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #386 on: July 07, 2022, 02:52:43 PM »

We're doing a SSBP trip and will have one day, probably can do four, five places? What would be your thoughts? Seems like on social media Town Spa, Cape Cod, Poopsie's, Hoeys, are all GOAT. Trading Post looks good. So many more options! Thanks for any advice on a research trip!

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #387 on: July 07, 2022, 02:54:09 PM »

Sorry, I don't wanna go through 20 pages,, can someone please post the work-flow for this pie? (including equipment such as pan type, oven, etc)
La ilahe illAllaah, Muhammedur-Rasulullaah
(There is no diety other than Allaah, Muhammed is the Messenger of Allaah)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #388 on: July 07, 2022, 08:09:43 PM »
We're doing a SSBP trip and will have one day, probably can do four, five places? What would be your thoughts? Seems like on social media Town Spa, Cape Cod, Poopsie's, Hoeys, are all GOAT. Trading Post looks good. So many more options! Thanks for any advice on a research trip!

I personally would include Lynwood.  I hit 4 spots in one day recently and liked the crust at buddy's union villa the best, the sauce best at Lynwood, and the cheese the best at town spa, with cape cod probably being my overall favorite.  I will say, as someone that lives in the epicenter of this pizza style and eat it regularly, that all of them have good days and bad days (or times of day).   Usually its the crust that suffers from inconsistencies of course. 

Offline stickyD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #389 on: July 08, 2022, 01:29:29 PM »
I personally would include Lynwood.  I hit 4 spots in one day recently and liked the crust at buddy's union villa the best, the sauce best at Lynwood, and the cheese the best at town spa, with cape cod probably being my overall favorite.  I will say, as someone that lives in the epicenter of this pizza style and eat it regularly, that all of them have good days and bad days (or times of day).   Usually its the crust that suffers from inconsistencies of course.

Awesome, thanks Scott, and we want to hit Stoked as well, your pizza looks fabulous, all depends on the route we manage to spin all around bean town.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #390 on: July 09, 2022, 11:21:33 AM »
Looking forward to this!  No worries if you cant make it... you have a lot of bar pizza to try!

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #391 on: July 09, 2022, 03:58:33 PM »
Sorry, I don't wanna go through 20 pages,, can someone please post the work-flow for this pie? (including equipment such as pan type, oven, etc)

if you don't read the entire thread you will miss tips, why things were done,  etc.  I read through a thread like this with a notepad
Deb

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #392 on: July 11, 2022, 02:37:12 PM »
if you don't read the entire thread you will miss tips, why things were done,  etc.  I read through a thread like this with a notepad

Most definitely.

I, too, have a metaphorical notepad on-hand.  But my question is irrespective of all of that.

I can always come back and read through the thread.  But in the meantime, I was just curious about the recipe.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 03:04:06 PM by 9slicePie »
La ilahe illAllaah, Muhammedur-Rasulullaah
(There is no diety other than Allaah, Muhammed is the Messenger of Allaah)

Offline fewd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #393 on: August 08, 2022, 05:35:03 PM »
A couple questions about Cape Cod Cafe pizzas:

I've never had their pizza on site, but ordered four frozen pies via Goldbelly. Other than what one would reasonably expect when comparing frozen vs fresh, is there much difference in the frozen product as compared to what you get at the restaurant? I ask because pics of the pizzas at Cape Cod look as if the pizzas are notably thicker than the frozen ones.

Does anyone know how they prepare their peppers? I'm guessing green peppers put through a heavy-duty vegetable dicer and then sautéed, but am not certain. Being from middle America where green peppers on a pizza means a strip or ring of raw green pepper thrown on top with everything else, actually flavorful green peppers on a pizza are a bit of a revelation.

Thanks

I've had the real thing at both Cape Cod Cafes, the frozen stuff in grocery stores years back and via GoldBelly (assuming same frozen product). 

The Brockton location tastes different from all of those things.  I wouldn't say it's significant...but different.  Not sure if it's the atmosphere (thought takeout is the same) or the oven or the seasoned pans...just different. 

I've also had Town Spa's take home product and Lynwood's half baked (usually right before they shut down for family vacations) and even those taste different to me. 

Offline stickyD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #394 on: September 01, 2022, 12:19:32 PM »
SSBP in a cast iron pan, pretty good results but some anemic undercarriage where the dough was not in full contact (I messed up my IDY to CY conversion).

The sauce was pure roasted heirloom tomato passata, without a spec of salt or herb. We wanted to really take this tomato-forward. However good it was, I would not do it again and would make a pizza sauce.

Built the pizza, then on the burner 4.5 mins., the time I tested to reach 500F. Then a 10 min. bake @500F.

Todd-Zilla dough, 120g white cheddar, 80g fresh mozz pressed.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #395 on: September 01, 2022, 11:15:44 PM »
I’m in the same boat for this style: using a shallow cast iron pan (smaller piece of combo-cooker). I may buy a proper pan someday; we are out of room for things we not use too often. Good results can be had with cast iron. It was smart of you to time how long it takes your stove to get your pan to 500°. Now I would recommend  leaving it on that burner 1 1/2 - 2 minutes longer to get a good bake going on the bottom. From there I place my pan on a pre-heated stone to finish the bake. It has been a while but I think I was baking about 12 min at 500 convect bake (my highest available) and pulling it when the top and sides looked right. Sometimes, after glancing at the bottom of the crust I have to give it another minute or two on the stovetop.

There is a lot less mass to heat up with the pans made for baking bar pies, which should help them perform quicker and more consistently.
-Tony

Offline stickyD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #396 on: September 02, 2022, 03:20:23 PM »
Now I would recommend  leaving it on that burner 1 1/2 - 2 minutes longer to get a good bake going on the bottom.

Thanks, good advice, will give that extra burner time a go next week.